Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Are you chassidish? Poll
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Are you chassidish?
Grew up chassidish, now not anymore  
 2%  [ 8 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, now chassidish  
 5%  [ 18 ]
Grew up chassidish, still chassidish  
 44%  [ 152 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, still nonchassidish  
 47%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 338

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I actually think that exposure to another language is always beneficial, and I'm glad that my kids have had some yiddish translation in the classroom, even if it gives them just a smattering of knowledge.

I have a BIL who is the son of BT's, and he can hold his own in yiddish and listen to shiurim, etc...and learned all of this in the school system.

If I had had a son, DH and I would definitely have wanted some yiddish in our choice of school. We wouldn't want it to be a pressure, but why deprive a child of the opportunity if they wanted it.

I have a good friend who is a BT and speak Yiddish 100% authentic like a real Chassidishe person. It's an easy language especially if you're bright. Obviously if you know this person since AFAIK she's the only BT who really speaks Yiddish then guess we share a friend!.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:04 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Can you explain your comment? I'm not sure I understood you. Do you think Rav Shmuel Kamenetzky should not be commenting on this topic, and why not?

I have no problem with R’ Shmuel commenting on anything. I just don’t think it’s something that people should even have to ask him. It’s a no brainer that children who don’t know Yiddish shouldn’t translate Chumash into only Yiddish and then have no idea what they’re talking about it any language. If people want their children to learn Yiddish, have a special class to teach them the language.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:18 pm
zaq wrote:
In the US there is a growing culture of secular Yiddish speakers, complete with conversation groups, social events featuring klezmer music, and online forums discussing fine points of grammar, usage and pronunciation. Few if any are Yiddish speakers from childhood, nor is Yiddish their primary language. Rather, Yiddish is their hobby, but speak it, read it and write it they do.

Foremost among them is the amazing Aaron Lansky, founder of the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA. Outside of the chassidish community, he has arguably done more for the preservation of Yiddish in America than anyone since Uriel Weinreich. If you've never read his book, Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books, you should.

https://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/about/staff

That's why we have the Farvart https://forward.com/yiddish/.
I believe the chassidim aren't the ones reading it:)
I actually have an acquaintance who writes for the Forward and Farvart

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking about chabad. Some posters said they're chassidish without a Rebbe. That's what I referred to.

There's opposite as well, their husband doesn't go to a rebbe tish or consult by rebbe. They don't keep all the exra heavy chumros. They are more openminded. They walk, the walk, talk the talk, maybe there heart is not in it, but they stay for different reasons.
Could be they don't want to part with familiar. They might not be a rebbe person, but then there's also chassidus that's a culture, a lifestyle without the rebbe, maybe they like their cholent & kugel, maybe they like their shtreimel & their leil shishi parties.
They don't want to be shunned by their families & friends or judged. They are perfectly fine with their likeminded friends. They are ok with entertainments that other people use, not necessarily what other more farfrumt people would do. It's a community, a sense of belonging, they feel a geshmak, not every chassidus/kehilla is so obsessed with their rebbe.
If they would leave they lose out from both worlds. They would lose their friends. They wouldn't get the same geshmak from a yeshivish lifestyle that doesn't have the same vibes as chassidish. They wouldn't be accepted in yeshivish circles either. Nisht aher/nisht ahin. To live by yeshivish lifestyles comes with intensity/pressures/demands/societal expected norms in different areas.
So this is what you may call chassidish lite where they pick only to practice the parts of the culture that they like

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 5:00 pm
I always thought there weren’t enough chaseedishe women online to create a social media forum for.
I am pleasantly surprised.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I have a good friend who is a BT and speak Yiddish 100% authentic like a real Chassidishe person. It's an easy language especially if you're bright. Obviously if you know this person since AFAIK she's the only BT who really speaks Yiddish then guess we share a friend!.
I'm BT and I speak Yiddish I'm native in Dutch en I speak German very well so the grammar was not that difficult still find it difficult to read though.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 2:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chabbad lives by rebbe's teachings, their culture is based upon chassidish beliefs, they learn chasidish seforim teachings, they stem from rabbinical dynasty, many chumros/minhagim are from way back that they still follow. Their dress is unique ( the ones who adhere to original dresscodes) & not mainstream. Many hold on to the Yiddish language. Original chassidim from Bal Shem with serving Hashem with simcha, song & dance, uplifting the gashmiyus, mundane into spiritual/ruchniyus to serve Hashem. The passion/the warmth/the shukling. Their way of life is even closer to original chassidus somewhat as they don't focus so much on the superficial outer trappings but more on the heart.
Same for breslov. Same idea but also no live Rebbe.
They are also very different than other chassidim. They focus a lot on kiruv, shlichut, moshiach, accepting everyone into their group, regardless of where he is holding in Yiddishkeit.
They also intermingle with outer world more, take degrees etc.

While there is passion, and warmth in Chabad, its focus is on the intellect" Chachma Bina Da'as"- wisdom, comprehension and knowledge. Serving Hashem via meditation and self work which affect the heart. So yes, its focus is inward and not on externals.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 2:25 pm
Einikel wrote:
We always teitched amar redden and daber zugen

It's the other way round...

Maybe your teacher got it wrong?

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:49 pm
I joined at beginning of covid and I’ve never heard of this site from anyone in real life and I would have ventured to say that majority is chassidish- I can tell from different phrases and questions that are asked. (I’m jpf from five towns)

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:29 pm
The demographics changed over the years. There were more of all other types & chassidish only a minority.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:29 pm
Surprised people mentioned davening nusach sfard as a relevant factor. We daven nusach sfard and are not in any way chassidish.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics