Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
To get makeup done or do it myself?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:36 pm
My brother is getting married in January.

My mom is saying she won't get her makeup done.

I'm not sure what my sisters (who live at home) are going to do.

No one who lives in my house is at risk.

Should I get my makeup done (with the makeup artist wearing a mask, of course) or not?

Should I try to see if I could get it done outdoors?

Or should I just do it myself? I'm not that good at doing makeup.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My brother is getting married in January.

My mom is saying she won't get her makeup done.

I'm not sure what my sisters (who live at home) are going to do.

No one who lives in my house is at risk.

Should I get my makeup done (with the makeup artist wearing a mask, of course) or not?

Should I try to see if I could get it done outdoors?

Or should I just do it myself? I'm not that good at doing makeup.

Is it being a socially distanced with everyone wearing masks and a small amount of people or will it be a "regular" wedding?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:44 pm
I did my own makeup for my sibling's wedding in August and liked the way I looked better than what I looked like at previous weddings when I paid professionals to do my makeup.

But I did a lot of experimenting and YouTube watching in preparation.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Is it being a socially distanced with everyone wearing masks and a small amount of people or will it be a "regular" wedding?

Good question. I think they're going to limit it to 150 people, wear masks (minus pictures), and try to social distance as much as possible. That's my family's perspective, anyway... not sure about the other side as much. The kallah is certainly planning on getting her makeup done.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I did my own makeup for my sibling's wedding in August and liked the way I looked better than what I looked like at previous weddings when I paid professionals to do my makeup.

But I did a lot of experimenting and YouTube watching in preparation.

I had a few weddings in the last year and a half and really liked how my makeup came out when professionally done (three different makeup artists).

I am terrible with my hands. My makeup comes out pretty decent relative to what people normally do on their own, but certainly doesn't look anything close to professional. I don't know how to blend colors, highlight, etc.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:52 pm
I personally am very into doing my own makeup. Over the past few years I watched lots of videos and invested in good products. I felt confident doing my own makeup for weddings even before COVID. But if you are aren't comfortable I would say go to a professional. It isn't worth feeling bad about yourself by a wedding.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:29 pm
I did my own hair and makeup for my wedding. I hired "Pros" for all my dc weddings. I will never again hire anyone to do my makeup. If my eyesight is too bad and my hands too shaky to do a good job, I'll skip the makeup altogether. Put it this way: when the 'artist' was done and the family got together for pics, my son took one look at me and said 'who are you and what have you done with my mother'-and not in a good way.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I did my own hair and makeup for my wedding. I hired "Pros" for all my dc weddings. I will never again hire anyone to do my makeup. If my eyesight is too bad and my hands too shaky to do a good job, I'll skip the makeup altogether. Put it this way: when the 'artist' was done and the family got together for pics, my son took one look at me and said 'who are you and what have you done with my mother'-and not in a good way.

I'm sorry for your experiences. Obviously, mine have been different. I'm asking specifically because of Covid.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:08 pm
Maybe you can find a makeup artist who has had covid already? Would that make you more comfortable?

Either way we have no idea what the situation will be in January so I would definitely hire someone tentatively. Iyh we should have a yeshua by then and this shouldn't even be a question.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:13 pm
I never ever wear makeup except for if a sibling is getting married. Since I don't wear makeup, I don't know how to do it myself, so I always hire. I haven't had to deal with this since before covid, so I get it's a tough question. For me, it would be professional or nothing at all and I'm not sure what I'd do... Sorry, I know that wasn't so helpful, but I definitely understand your dilemma.

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:17 pm
Only do your own make up if you are good at it.

For one of my siblings weddings, I decided that I didn't want to spend so much money for just one night's worth of make-up. Instead, I went to a store and got a make-up artist to help me with colors etc.. I spent just as much money but had the joy of using it many times!

I loved the way I looked for that wedding. I have never hired a make-up artist for any other siblings weddings.

But if you don't know how to put on make-up well I would reconsider.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Maybe you can find a makeup artist who has had covid already? Would that make you more comfortable?

Either way we have no idea what the situation will be in January so I would definitely hire someone tentatively. Iyh we should have a yeshua by then and this shouldn't even be a question.

Yes, it would make me more comfortable - but wouldn't it be kind of awkward to contact a makeup artist and ask if they've had Covid already?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:44 pm
Reality wrote:
Only do your own make up if you are good at it.

For one of my siblings weddings, I decided that I didn't want to spend so much money for just one night's worth of make-up. Instead, I went to a store and got a make-up artist to help me with colors etc.. I spent just as much money but had the joy of using it many times!

I loved the way I looked for that wedding. I have never hired a make-up artist for any other siblings weddings.

But if you don't know how to put on make-up well I would reconsider.

Good at it is a very relative term. I do my makeup reasonably well relative to the average person at a simcha whose makeup was not done by a makeup artist, but I'm certainly not amazing.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:55 pm
I would only hire a makeup artist if there was a clause I could cancel due to covid related reasons. Who knows what will be in January? I personally would not go to a makeup artist due to Covid concern but perhaps your dr. would say its ok if you take certain precautions.
Hopefully only good things!
Mazel tov on the simcha!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:05 pm
Personally I would hire one. We hired someone for my sister's wedding in August. We are not so into Covid and didn't really care buys he happen to have worn a mask the whole time.

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good at it is a very relative term. I do my makeup reasonably well relative to the average person at a simcha whose makeup was not done by a makeup artist, but I'm certainly not amazing.

I also can't do anything fancy. I think the key is putting on your foundation well. I started using tinted moisturizer because it's so much more natural looking. And then blending your blush/bronzer well.

And then focus on one feature. People usually choose eyes or lips. Choose one to be your statement and the rest in more natural colors.

Good luck! I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with someone working on my face currently. Even if we were both wearing masks.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:40 pm
Reality wrote:
I also can't do anything fancy. I think the key is putting on your foundation well. I started using tinted moisturizer because it's so much more natural looking. And then blending your blush/bronzer well.

And then focus on one feature. People usually choose eyes or lips. Choose one to be your statement and the rest in more natural colors.

Good luck! I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with someone working on my face currently. Even if we were both wearing masks.

It's not really so possible to wear a mask when someone is doing your makeup...

I'm still so torn!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Personally I would hire one. We hired someone for my sister's wedding in August. We are not so into Covid and didn't really care buys he happen to have worn a mask the whole time.

Huh?

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:43 pm
Its not just masks. Its the risk of cross-contamination from products that have not been properly sterilized.

Start watching You Tube tutorials and practicing on yourself. With 3 months lead time, you should be proficient by time of the wedding.

Especially if you're not into exaggerated false eyelashes and winged liner.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Huh?

I was going to go a bit harsher...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics