Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you speak yiddish - poll
1  2  Next

Do you speak yiddish?
Yiddish and only yiddish is my first language  
 8%  [ 22 ]
Yiddish and English are my first languages (bilingual)  
 33%  [ 85 ]
Yiddish and another language than English are my first languages  
 2%  [ 6 ]
I speak Flamish/Dutch/German, so I understand yiddish  
 3%  [ 10 ]
I know a bit of yiddish from my family/school  
 17%  [ 44 ]
I actively learned yiddish as a second language  
 9%  [ 23 ]
I don't speak or understand yiddish  
 25%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 254

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 12:16 pm
As a spinoff to diverse threads about yiddish speakers, I want to launch a poll about how many users on Imamother speak yiddish and a debate about the use of the language.

Do you speak yiddish?

What is your opinion?

yonabets

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 12:17 pm
No I don't
Never learn

twizzlers1

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 12:18 pm
Did I miss something? I didn't see a place that says I don't speak it at all.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 12:21 pm
twizzlers1 wrote:
Did I miss something? I didn't see a place that says I don't speak it at all.

Sorry, I forgot to click "add option" with this one, so it was thrown out. I corrected it now...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 12:50 pm
Would youlike your children to speak yiddish?

Gut

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 2:16 pm
no

littleprincess

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 4:09 pm
Yidish is my first language . I speak yidish to my parents , siblings and children .
But I also speak hebrew (and yidish ) to dh and only Hebrew to his entire family .
My children also speak a lot of english cos that's the first language in school .

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:13 pm
my parents who both passed away recently age 81 and 91 both spoke yiddish
I dont speak yiddish

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:17 pm
I know a bit of yiddish from my grandmother.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would youlike your children to speak yiddish?

My children do not know yiddish. They never met my grandmother a"h.

Notsobusy

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:36 pm
I would have answered that English is my first language but I speak Yiddish fluently. None of the poll options apply to me.

Good Friend

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:45 pm
I didn't grow up speaking Yidish but boarded with a Yidish speaking family for 2 years and picked it up over there.
We are teaching our children Yidish, as well as English and Spanish (we live in a Spanish speaking country and are American). They are also picking up some Hebrew because there are many Israelis in our community.

We are teaching them Yidish because it's a Jewish language, created for the purpose of being separate from the non-Jews, as was done in Mitzraim (the Jewish people kept their dress, names and language). Also the Lubavitcher Rebbe's talks were mostly printed and said in Yidish (we are Chabad).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:46 pm
Hebrew,English, Yiddish
DH- also speaks Flemish and French

youngishbear

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:46 pm
Yiddish was my first language until I started school at 6. I consider myself 100% bilingual now, but the choices are phrased in a way that confuses me.

Cheshire cat

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:49 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Yiddish was my first language until I started school at 6. I consider myself 100% bilingual now, but the choices are phrased in a way that confuses me.

Same!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:51 pm
Good Friend wrote:
I didn't grow up speaking Yidish but boarded with a Yidish speaking family for 2 years and picked it up over there.
We are teaching our children Yidish, as well as English and Spanish (we live in a Spanish speaking country and are American). They are also picking up some Hebrew because there are many Israelis in our community.

We are teaching them Yidish because it's a Jewish language, created for the purpose of being separate from the non-Jews, as was done in Mitzraim (the Jewish people kept their dress, names and language). Also the Lubavitcher Rebbe's talks were mostly printed and said in Yidish (we are Chabad).

I'm not quite sure that is true... It was just the German the Jews from Germany took with them when they left the country, just as the Jews who left Spain in girush sfarad took Spanish with them..

I am always taken aback when yiddish-speakers believe that yiddish is more "holy" than ivrit... the contrary is true...

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not quite sure that is true... It was just the German the Jews from Germany took with them when they left the country, just as the Jews who left Spain in girush sfarad took Spanish with them..

I am always taken aback when yiddish-speakers believe that yiddish is more "holy" than ivrit... the contrary is true...

The yiddish-speakers who believe this may be Satmar, who believe ivrit is tainted by political zionism and thus unholy.

tigerwife

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 6:04 pm
I learned Yiddish as a second language and would like my children to do the same. It’s a great way to connect with Jews from around the world. I have never really learned Ivrit fluently (I know just the basics to read and speak but can’t really follow fast conversation) and I do think it’s an important language to speak for the same reason.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 6:31 pm
My parents spoke Yiddish to us (their second or third language) when I was young. I actively learned it in order to speak to my kids mostly in Yiddish. My oldest kids consider Yiddish their first language, and they are more fluent than me. My younger kids understand it but can't speak it as well.

Good Friend

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I understand it was local language mixed with some lashon hakodesh and terms relating to Jewish life, and was specifically the Jewish dialect. If it would just German then it would be German, not Yidish, no? The Spanish equivalent would be Ladino (although it seems that Yidish is a lot more commonly used than Ladino)

The belief that Yidish is holier than ivrit as far as I understand is because the ivrit spoken nowadays is very different from the language of the Torah, even if the shorashim are the same.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 7:02 pm
Good Friend wrote:
I understand it was local language mixed with some lashon hakodesh and terms relating to Jewish life, and was specifically the Jewish dialect. If it would just German then it would be German, not Yidish, no? The Spanish equivalent would be Ladino (although it seems that Yidish is a lot more commonly used than Ladino)

The belief that Yidish is holier than ivrit as far as I understand is because the ivrit spoken nowadays is very different from the language of the Torah, even if the shorashim are the same.

Another fault with the above-mentioned argument is the communities who still lived/live in german speaking countries- they speak/spoke yiddish;) and no, not german. As a german speaker I know the difference...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics