Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Bad camp memories
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:55 pm
For some reason I was sent to a camp that wasn't really our family's type. I was severely bullied and mocked from the beginning to the end. I once said that my father liked a certain healthy cereal and they made up a cheer with my name and the cereal and sang it together whenever they felt like it. They did other things like calling me ugly, locking me in a closet. It was one horrible summer.

I went to camp many years ago, and I hope there's more awareness against bullying these days.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 11:45 pm
Wow I don’t remember being bullied but I was just too young at 9. I went to camp Chaya Sura and wasn’t as chasidish as the other girls but the girls were mostly nice. I was totally depressed there though because I was so homesick and mom refused to bring me home because she was homesick as a kid and came home early and never forgave herself. Except she was much older than me. I remember not caring about my appearance and just crying for hours. I think it had lasting damage And I was never the same again. Can being homesick cause like PTSD?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Wow I don’t remember being bullied but I was just too young at 9. I went to camp Chaya Sura and wasn’t as chasidish as the other girls but the girls were mostly nice. I was totally depressed there though because I was so homesick and mom refused to bring me home because she was homesick as a kid and came home early and never forgave herself. Except she was much older than me. I remember not caring about my appearance and just crying for hours. I think it had lasting damage And I was never the same again. Can being homesick cause like PTSD?

So sorry
Must’ve been in the earlier years
The only young kid I remember was happy-go-lucky kid with older sisters. Unless you hid it well.
And she was a chassidish kid

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
So sorry
Must’ve been in the earlier years
The only young kid I remember was happy-go-lucky kid with older sisters. Unless you hid it well.
And she was a chassidish kid
I think I hid it very well but it was in 1999. Not sure if that’s considered earlier years. I was a chassidish kid but not like the kids who went there. I had a long ponytail, wore 3/4 sleeves, and didn’t wear blue tights during the week as my fellow bunk mates did. My bunk was pretty ultra. But the kids didn’t bully me and I was good at sports. I just felt so alone. The bunks were big and the counselors didn’t make sure that The kids were all ok. I remember sometimes just going into the woods and nobody saw or cared. I remember being marked down by rabbi Klein because my bed was made regular and not with hospital corners. I guess I came from a loving home and here I was on my own. Years later I went to another camp and the couselors were so dedicated and tried to give each girl attention and make sure everyone had their needs met even though we were much older and were able to take care of ourselves.

yksraya

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 11:57 pm
Zehava wrote:
Frying pan fire situation

That was more like school for me. But in camp I blossomed. Aside maybe a few isolated incidents and one summer that my friends broke up with me for petty reasons.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:02 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I think I hid it very well but it was in 1999. Not sure if that’s considered earlier years. I was a chassidish kid but not like the kids who went there. I had a long ponytail, wore 3/4 sleeves, and didn’t wear blue tights during the week as my fellow bunk mates did. My bunk was pretty ultra. But the kids didn’t bully me and I was good at sports. I just felt so alone. The bunks were big and the counselors didn’t make sure that The kids were all ok. I remember sometimes just going into the woods and nobody saw or cared. I remember being marked down by rabbi Klein because my bed was made regular and not with hospital corners. I guess I came from a loving home and here I was on my own. Years later I went to another camp and the couselors were so dedicated and tried to give each girl attention and make sure everyone had their needs met even though we were much older and were able to take care of ourselves.

Yes I think that was right when it opened. I went to the camp and school as well. Rabbi Klien destroyed my childhood and left me with lasting scars. Counselors were clueless and self-absorbed for the most part.
I’m so sorry for what you went through.
I went into the woods a lot. Sometimes til the lake. Also there was one spot in the field where I figured out no one would see me from the dining room. Plenty of places to hide on those grounds that’s for sure.

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:03 am
yksraya wrote:
That was more like school for me. But in camp I blossomed. Aside maybe a few isolated incidents and one summer that my friends broke up with me for petty reasons.

School too
There was no consistently safe place for me as a child

yksraya

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:09 am
Zehava wrote:
School too
There was no consistently safe place for me as a child

I don't know if I felt safe. But I deffinitely was in a different planet, kind of like in pretend play. But then summer was over all too soon.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:11 am
yksraya wrote:
I don't know if I felt safe. But I deffinitely was in a different planet, kind of like in pretend play. But then summer was over all too soon.

I felt like in camp I was able to be my real self while at home it was pretend play.

yksraya

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:17 am
honeymoon wrote:
I felt like in camp I was able to be my real self while at home it was pretend play.

Maybe, maybe I was an actress always. And being free to be me, that yes.

But when I meant pretend play, it was like when you play doll or any other toy, you are on a different planet. Camp was like that for me. Although not everyone was actually nice to me, I was on sucha high that I mostly didn't let anything effect me.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:22 am
Yes I think that was right when it opened. I went to the camp and school as well. Rabbi Klien destroyed my childhood and left me with lasting scars. Counselors were clueless and self-absorbed for the most part.
I went into the woods a lot. Sometimes til the lake. Also there was one spot in the field where I figured out no one would see me from the dining room. Plenty of places to hide on those grounds that’s for sure.

So sorry you went through that! I feel like camp counselors are so young they have no idea how to take care of their campers. I think that before camp there should be some speeches for counselors about taking care of campers...

Wow, you went until the lake? You weren't scared of bears? Nobody realized you were missing from activities?

honeymoon

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:22 am
yksraya wrote:
Maybe, maybe I was an actress always. And being free to be me, that yes.

But when I meant pretend play, it was like when you play doll or any other toy, you are on a different planet. Camp was like that for me. Although not everyone was actually nice to me, I was on sucha high that I mostly didn't let anything effect me.

I get it now. Similar experience for me. I actually didnt enjoy the camp schedule and activities at all. I thrived on being myself, hanging out with the few friends I enjoyed, and when I was older, doing things that made a difference to others. I have some horrible memories, but overall I remember it with pleasure.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
So sorry you went through that! I feel like camp counselors are so young they have no idea how to take care of their campers. I think that before camp there should be some speeches for counselors about taking care of campers...

Wow, you went until the lake? You weren't scared of bears? Nobody realized you were missing from activities?

I was borderline suicidal. I was pretty careless at the time. I was more afraid of humans than of bears. I didn’t attend most activities anyway so it wasn’t unusual for me to be missing. I didn’t always go til the lake there was a different path that lead to nowhere that I sometimes would go into and find a spot to read.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:31 am
I went to Camp Chedva and truly hated it.

Years later I have mellowed and see that there were some good parts too - they taught me how to daven and they had an amazing drama department. Even now when I go to Broadway I say “Camp Chedva plays are better”

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:33 am
I went to camp chay sara and some girls were so do mean to me. Was years ago. That was while I was a teen , I guess teens are tough with friends and how they interact with others . I still resent that place, but only when I think back . So I think it's better to go forward than look back . It's just healthier.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 9:08 am
I’m so sorry! It sound like you really had a harder time of it! Big hug to you. I’m not saying it was a terrible camp just that I was too young to be there, it was likely not the right setting for me, and there was no one making sure that the kids were being taken care of properly Physically and emotionally .

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 9:13 am
I didn’t feel great in camp but I escaped horrific molestation for a few weeks a year so there’s that

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:27 am
This kind of traumatized us and had us laughing nonstop at the same time.
Once in Teen Camp (emunah) we went on a short hike to this nearby short waterfall that created neat small pools of water. Anyway we got there and suddenly bam, there were all these plastic bottles and dropped trash being thrown at us. We realized too late that we had walked in on some chassidishe men toiveling. Omg we were so shocked and upset but now it seems like the funniest thing ever.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics