Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Homemade beef jerky challenge!

DVOM

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:58 am
My husband and brothers and sons have recently fallen in love with beef jerky.

It costs a fortune! Couldn't they have fallen for cuces? Or bananas? ***Sigh!!!***

Can I make this (must-have, utterly essential) delicacy at home? I can then pay myself for itty bitty little bags of it and become rich!!! Or just feed the men in my life.

Recipes please!

Bonus points for sugar free recipes. I'd love to finally be able to taste it and see what all the hoopla is about.

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 6:01 am
Do you have a dehydrator? If not, you may have to cook in the oven on a low temp for many, many hours. I may be wrong, but I think I looked into this once.

PS, My husband orders it from some guy and it's mega addictive. A guy thing.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 7:10 am
All I know is that my DS age 19 wants to make his own and he mentioned to me in the past that you need to use very lean beef for it. I also think a dehydrator is needed.

GetReal

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:03 am
http://www.pennilessparenting......l?m=1

I haven’t tried this but she’s a member here.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:40 am
DVOM wrote:

It costs a fortune! Couldn't they have fallen for cuces? Or bananas? ***Sigh!!!***

Can I make this (must-have, utterly essential) delicacy at home? I can then pay myself for itty bitty little bags of it and become rich!!! Or just feed the men in my life.

Recipes please!

Bonus points for sugar free recipes. I'd love to finally be able to taste it and see what all the hoopla is about.

My ds also loves it! My answer, tough!!! There isn’t any here and he’s here. He’s trying to get my father in law to make and sell it, but he said it’s too expensive to make or that was something else. Don’t remember! We wanted to get a dehydrator so we can do it, but it’s soooo expensive here.

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:52 am
yo'ma wrote:
My ds also loves it! My answer, tough!!! There isn’t any here and he’s here. He’s trying to get my father in law to make and sell it, but he said it’s too expensive to make or that was something else. Don’t remember! We wanted to get a dehydrator so we can do it, but it’s soooo expensive here.

Off-topic, but it seems that a lot of kosher meat comes from Argentina. Would it be safe to say you have lots of Kosher meat available to you, or it all gets exported and is not available for sale to the locals?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:56 am
Success10 wrote:
Off-topic, but it seems that a lot of kosher meat comes from Argentina. Would it be safe to say you have lots of Kosher meat available to you, or it all gets exported and is not available for sale to the locals?

We can get whatever part of the cow we want because that’s the business we’re in, but beef jerky needs to be made. We do make deli stuff, but not that.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:59 am
This is something you have to do in large quantities... You have to smoke it for many, many days...
It's not worthwhile for little quantities.

It''s so expensive because the meat shrinks, so there is actually a lot more meat in it than you might tell by the weight, because it's dehydrated...

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:03 pm
yo'ma wrote:
We can get whatever part of the cow we want because that’s the business we’re in, but beef jerky needs to be made. We do make deli stuff, but not that.

Oh, haha, I should have figured you were in the meat business. Do you sell locally or do you export everything?

A commercial dehydrator might be a fortune, but a small one for personal use?

esther11

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:03 pm
We have made jerky before! I don’t remember our exact recipe but we found it with a basic google search. We used a pickled corn beef that we had in the freezer so ut took some searching to find a recipe for that specific flavor profile.

I remember the approximate steps:
Take a lean cut of meat, cut off any obvious external pieces of fat.
Cut thin slice, you can also pound it even thinner if you want. If you slice when partially frozen it’s a lot easier.
Marinate 2-12 hours in desire flavors
Dehydrate (we did use a dehydrator)

Not sure how informative this is, but I hope it helps!

grateful2bmom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:19 pm
DH made it several times in the oven a few years ago. I forgot what cut of meat he bought, sliced super thin. He marinated in a sauce he made (definitely sweet) for 24 hours and then put them in the oven at a very low temperature- I don’t remember - maybe 190 F for hours.The trick is to put the slices of meat on cooking racks on top of cookie sheets allowing the air to circulate.
It came out delicious the first few times and then wasn’t so successful another - maybe the meat wasn’t sliced thinly enough or was removed too early from the oven - and he never attempted again.
I know he did all his research online so if anyone wants to attempt it without a dehydrator, there should be info somewhere if you search.

gande

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:55 pm
I have a relative who does it as a hobby and side business. He bought a dehydrater for about $100. he uses all kids of meats sliced thin and spices some of them.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:07 pm
DVOM wrote:

Recipes please!

I make it a lot with the recipe on kosher .com that has liquid smoke. You need to marinate the beef and hen bake on 185* for 5 hours turning in mid.

Ask your butcher for the best beef for jerky otherwise use sandwich steak cut in half or thirds.

ez-pass

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:11 pm
I know many ppl who make it with their oven all the time, like every week. There are a couple recipes on kosher. Com. Also don't dehydrate the meat to much as it gets to hard.
It's not such a hard thing to make honestly.

orchidee

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:16 pm
Freeze London broil for 1 hr just to become firm
Cut in thinnest slices that you can
Make a sauce using maple syrup or honey and soy sauce or coconut aminos, add garlic powder
A little salt and pepper
Marinate overnight
Bake on a rack for 5hrs on 170 or till it has the texture you like

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:35 pm
If you do it in an oven it will cook, not dehydrate. You can still dry it out but it’s not exactly jerky. Most jerky is either brined in spices and then sliced and dried or seasoned then dried. If you have the right conditions you can air dry, but I think less bugs in a dehydrator.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:49 pm
We buy a marinated London broil-around $15. I’ve tried many different flavors.
If you don’t find a marinated one, slice and marinate with spices and some bbq sauce for few hours.
Put it in freezer for an hour. Slice thin.
Mush all the marinate all over. Spread onto 2 large pieces of heavY duty aluminum foil pieces. Bake on 180 for 3-4 hours. Switch top and bottom racks after 1-2 hours and then flip meat over after another hour. The very small thin pieces should be ready after 3 hours the bigger thicker maybe 4. Also depends if you like it drier or chewier.
It’s really not such a big deal and not an expensive project to try.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics