Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help! dd refusing to sit down on toilet or potty

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:42 pm
I'm trying to train my little daughter and she is refusing to sit down on any potty, toilet seat or toilet. She got the concept right away so she is holding herself back from peeing but when she really has to go she starts screeching and saying that she does not wanna go to any toilet. She then pees on the floor just a tiny and keeps in the rest. Few minutes later she again starts to screem that she's not going on any toilet. She has some fear but I don't know why. How can I get her to sit down? We tried bribing her with everything. I tried to just get her to sit down with clothes on that she should see that it's not scary but she REFUSES! Please help!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:53 pm
How old is your daughter?

I would probably Just back off from the potty training for Right now. Don’t pressure her. You can try again in a few weeks or months.

In the meantime Get potty training books & read them to her. Maybe show her potty training videos. There’s a good Elmo potty training video my kids loved. You can google it to find a free online copy.

And whenever you talk about the potty just keep it positive.

When you see that your daughter has to go potty, just be patient and neutral how you speak. Just matter of the fact. “Sarah, it looks like you need to go potty. Do you want to try using the potty? I think that will be more comfortable than your diaper or wet clothes. But it’s okay if you have an accident. You can try the potty again later.”

Last thing, is it possible your daughter has a UTI or other health issue? UTIs are quite painful & I could see how that could cause a kid to be scared of using the potty. Just an idea to checkout with your pediatrician if you haven’t already.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:53 pm
My friend decorated her toilet like a throne and made a crown, and every time her daughter sat on he toilet she could use the crown and I've out special treats, the kid loved it!!

It's all abt making it a positive experience.
A few months before I trained my dd, I introduced her to the toilet, and before bath, I encouraged her to go on it and then she got a treat. In the beginning she was terrified but by the time we started toilet training, she loved her toilet😁

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:57 pm
Watered down Apple juice while sitting on a floor potty. Let her watch elmo potty on YouTube. Worked for my lo. And colorful lentils let her pick which color she wants. Let her have one just for sitting. Make a big deal about when she sits.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 2:13 pm
I have the same situation with my dd.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 3:11 pm
for some reason my daughter's potty irritated her seat area. Sitting on the seat caused redness irritation and pain. She didn't want the potty after a while either! I discovered that her skin is super sensitive, even to a regular seat. Right now I let her lead - when she wants to, I help her get on the big kids seat. She doesn't sit long at all, just long enough to take care of business, and there's no screaming in pain and fear anymore. It's been 5 months but she's making significant progress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training