Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Serial in the ami- chava and shulem
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 28  29  30  Next

suremom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
In theory you’re right
But welcome to the real world.

Or to the world of fiction Very Happy

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:06 pm
suremom wrote:
Or to the world of fiction Very Happy

Very Happy
Mimicking the real world :-)

agreer

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:46 pm
suremom wrote:
But how is this ok? Can clients decide who their attorney is or isnt allowed to take on as clients when its not a conflict of interest of a specific case?

Attorneys can decide who they want to take on as clients. It's their private business and their right.

If they know that taking on a new client will antagonize an old, very good client, why would they jeopardize that relationship? It wouldn't make good financial sense.

Erez isn't a public defender. He's in the private sector and his goal is to make money. Why would he help Chava if it will make her father upset?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:48 pm
there is a real legal concept reality that once someone is your client or even consulted with you about you taking on their case if there is or may be a conflict of interest you cannot take that person on as a client, it is not subjective

fyi there are people who will consult with more than one top attorney in order to prevent their "opponent" from taking that attorney as their own -- not saying whether wrong or right and have never done so myself -- its a legal reality

would be rare for any attorney or top professional to take on someone as a client against their big clients' wishes

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:20 pm
suremom wrote:
But how is this ok? Can clients decide who their attorney is or isnt allowed to take on as clients when its not a conflict of interest of a specific case?

If he's a lawyer on retainer for Chava's father then I don't think he has that leeway. Plus he'd be biased against Shulem on some level, which means he's not even doing a service for Shulem by taking the case.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
there is a real legal concept reality that once someone is your client or even consulted with you about you taking on their case if there is or may be a conflict of interest you cannot take that person on as a client, it is not subjective

fyi there are people who will consult with more than one top attorney in order to prevent their "opponent" from taking that attorney as their own -- not saying whether wrong or right and have never done so myself -- its a legal reality

would be rare for any attorney or top professional to take on someone as a client against their big clients' wishes

Right or wrong?! It's brilliant strategy and 1000% legal.

But it's not just 'consulting' - you have to pay him I.e. have him on retainer. If you do that, your opponent can't use him.

suremom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Right or wrong?! It's brilliant strategy and 1000% legal.

But it's not just 'consulting' - you have to pay him I.e. have him on retainer. If you do that, your opponent can't use him.

But we are not talking about opponents here. Thank you all for your responses. It seems to me like chava's father didnt forbid/tell him from taking shalom. He just said he wont pay for it. While her father is controlling, he doesnt strike me as mean.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:57 pm
perhaps varies by state afaik you do not need to have the person on retainer just pay for the initial consult

clowny

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:21 pm
suremom wrote:
But we are not talking about opponents here. Thank you all for your responses. It seems to me like chava's father didnt forbid/tell him from taking shalom. He just said he wont pay for it. While her father is controlling, he doesnt strike me as mean.

Well, he did mention that he will make sure shalom is behind bars, I call that mean.
And, maybe he did forbid Erez from taking the case. We don’t know that.

cbsp

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:30 pm
suremom wrote:

But from a legal standpoint there's still a conflict of interest.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:34 pm
so what happened in this weeks issue?

clowny

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
so what happened in this weeks issue?

Tehilla informs chava that she broke her engagement because her chosson knew too much about the case and didn’t share much with her. She felt it was a red flag. Chava gets a call from Erez that he got permission from her father to take the case and shalom needs to come down the office immediately to give his signature. Chava asks shalom if she should come with him.

Einikel

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 12:38 pm
Her father lets Chava use his lawyer. Chava calls lawyer who says she should immediately come down with Sholom. Lawyer is shocked that Sholom is still under house arrest. Tells Chava to bring Sholom anyways. Chava calls Sholom to update him and offers to go along. To be continued....

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:26 pm
Einikel wrote:
Her father lets Chava use his lawyer. Chava calls lawyer who says she should immediately come down with Sholom. Lawyer is shocked that Sholom is still under house arrest. Tells Chava to bring Sholom anyways. Chava calls Sholom to update him and offers to go along. To be continued....

I have a feeling this is a trap. The father knows he’s under house arrest and getting him to leave will cause him even more trouble and definite arrest.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 1:55 pm
if he is under house arrest then attorney should go see him or make other legal arrangements for shulem to come to see him - otherwise makes no sense - what are the terms of his house arrest- he would not be that stupid to violate the terms of it nor would the attorney

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 2:02 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I have a feeling this is a trap. The father knows he’s under house arrest and getting him to leave will cause him even more trouble and definite arrest.

At this point in the story, I think the author is trying to tie everything up, and my feeling is that the lawyer is able to clear Shalom completely, and the story ends.

Sweet as Pie

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 2:20 pm
I agree. It’s suddenly moving very fast. I feel that she got pressure to finish and after stringing us along for sooooo many weeks at least make it abit more juicy

paintbrush

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:58 pm
I don’t understand why the lawyer was shocked that shalom was still under house arrest. Didn’t he just clear him two leave for two hours to go to Bais din two chapters ago (which is Probably only two days earlier) ?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:03 pm
Hey I loved the hawk staffing ad in the sukkos issue saying "they dont know if the couple will divorce but they do know that they can help..." LOL

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
At this point in the story, I think the author is trying to tie everything up, and my feeling is that the lawyer is able to clear Shalom completely, and the story ends.

That’s silly. I feel like the story didn’t really start yet. Chava basically slept till now. Then woke to realize that she hasn’t eaten in days and she’s famished.
Page 13 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room