Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The death of the two income family
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:42 am
Thank you carona.

I am this close to quitting my job.

I am very lucky to have a job.

How can I work if kids dont have school???? I think I made ten stops this morning dropping off and picking up kids. I came half hour late to work because if my final carpool starts basement school at 915 and its fifteen minutes from my work I can't possibly be at work before 930. One kid will be dropped off at my office in middle of the day and do his afternoon zoom from here. I have to leave work an hour early because I was only able to make arrangements for my some kids until 3 and I work to till 4.

HakarasHatov

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:48 am
I feel your struggle, I wanted to quit also. Personally I felt that I could not do my job 100% and pressured myself to keep up to my old standard. But times have changed now. my boss basically said half a job is better than no job. The world is no longer as we once knew it

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you carona.

I am this close to quitting my job.

I am very lucky to have a job.

How can I work if kids dont have school???? I think I made ten stops this morning dropping off and picking up kids. I came half hour late to work because if my final carpool starts basement school at 915 and its fifteen minutes from my work I can't possibly be at work before 930. One kid will be dropped off at my office in middle of the day and do his afternoon zoom from here. I have to leave work an hour early because I was only able to make arrangements for my some kids until 3 and I work to till 4.

Schools should get all their kids to pack their bags, put them on buses and take them to Albany so that Herr Cuomo can entertain them all day long so parents can go to work. Perhaps then he will stop with the draconian measures that are based on fear instead of science and we can all go back to living life as God intended us to live.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Schools should get all their kids to pack their bags, put them on buses and take them to Albany so that Herr Cuomo can entertain them all day long so parents can go to work. Perhaps then he will stop with the draconian measures that are based on fear instead of science and we can all go back to living life as God intended us to live.

FYI 3/4 of the kids in the City of Albany public schools are distance learning.

53% by choice, and the remainder due to budget cuts.

All 7th-12th graders are full distance learning--there is no in person, and definitely won't be before February 2021.

I don't think going to Albany will elicit a lot of sympathy.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
FYI 3/4 of the kids in the City of Albany public schools are distance learning.

53% by choice, and the remainder due to budget cuts.

All 7th-12th graders are full distance learning--there is no in person, and definitely won't be before February 2021.

I don't think going to Albany will elicit a lot of sympathy.

So if 53% of parents choose to not send their kids to public school and the rest are cut due to budget cuts then what does that have to do with private school where parents are paying high tuition and choosing to send their kids to school but cant because Herr cuomo decided to close them?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:59 am
Id say, if you need the money, make it work Sad
I know, easier said than done, but what other choice does one have?
I think during these uncertain times, when some people are actually let go because their company is closing or any other covid related reason, be so grateful that you have a job.

I am so sorry that you have a hard time. My friend with kids who can not be left home alone, and living in a place where there is only zoom school right now, is having to work from home, with her kids home. Thats a whole other kind of difficult.

Its all so hard right now. No way around that.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:03 am
So if 53% of parents choose to not send their kids to school and the rest are cut due to budget cuts then what does that have to do with private school where parents are paying high tuition and choosing to send their kids to school?

I thought the discussion was about having in person school.

53% of parents are choosing to have their children educated by the school district via distance learning only.

Several more have no choice. The children are being educated, still have a full day of classes, homework, etc.

Less than half of the PreK-6th graders are going in person, and some classes have already been quarantined, etc. due to positive cases.

Albany parents will feel bad, but they also have had to find ways to educate their children online and work. Albany parents aren't playing with rules, etc. en masse. They are complaining, and the school district knows it's not ideal.

I'm saying most folks will feel bad, and say, go to distance learning. If our urban school district can do it, you can too.

You may not like it, but if you're looking for sympathy or effectiveness, it will probably look worse. It will probably look to Albany like NYCers don't like laws and are having a tantrum. And it will add to how we in Albany are already suffering with antisemitic confrontations in the last 2 weeks as a result of behaviors downstate. If you want attention and good PR, be wise. If you want to not bring more difficult to others OOT, think big picture.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Id say, if you need the money, make it work Sad
I know, easier said than done, but what other choice does one have?
I think during these uncertain times, when some people are actually let go because their company is closing or any other covid related reason, be so grateful that you have a job.

I am so sorry that you have a hard time. My friend with kids who can not be left home alone, and living in a place where there is only zoom school right now, is having to work from home, with her kids home. Thats a whole other kind of difficult.

Its all so hard right now. No way around that.

I have four kids - the oldest one is 7. Not a single one can be left home alone.

NEVER TELL ANYONE IF YOU NEED THE MONEY MAKE IT WORK.

In this crazy time you sometimes choose job or childcare because you literally can't have both

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have four kids - the oldest one is 7. Not a single one can be left home alone.

NEVER TELL ANYONE IF YOU NEED THE MONEY MAKE IT WORK.

In this crazy time you sometimes choose job or childcare because you literally can't have both
Sorry, I did not mean it in any mean way. I thought, by the subject line, you meant you needed the job but didnt know how to be able to stay working with how the world was going.

And I really do understand you. I personally was let go just before all of this started. I only began looking for work a short while ago and it is hard as heck.

Again, sorry, I did not mean it in the way I think you took it.

You should only know health and nachas from your children.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

53% of parents are choosing to have their children educated by the school district via distance learning only.

Several more have no choice. The children are being educated, still have a full day of classes, homework, etc.

Less than half of the PreK-6th graders are going in person, and some classes have already been quarantined, etc. due to positive cases.

Albany parents will feel bad, but they also have had to find ways to educate their children online and work. Albany parents aren't playing with rules, etc. en masse. They are complaining, and the school district knows it's not ideal.

I'm saying most folks will feel bad, and say, go to distance learning. If our urban school district can do it, you can too.

You may not like it, but if you're looking for sympathy or effectiveness, it will probably look worse. It will probably look to Albany like NYCers don't like laws and are having a tantrum. And it will add to how we in Albany are already suffering with antisemitic confrontations in the last 2 weeks as a result of behaviors downstate. If you want attention and good PR, be wise. If you want to not bring more difficult to others OOT, think big picture.

Thank you for your intelligent, non self-absorbed post.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:13 am
Is this a New York only thread?

I’m in Maryland, and all the public schools here have been doing distance learning K-12 since the beginning of the school year, and are virtual through Janairy 2021.

We will probably find out at the end of November what they’ve decreed for the remainder of the school year.

This isn’t a frum-only problem, and the private schools have had it easier, if anything.

The New York Times wrote about it in July:
In the Covid-19 Economy, You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0......html

It’s so hard, I’m so sorry.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

I am not sure why you keep referring to the parents in Albany or what your public school does or doesnt do when I made it clear that there should be an appeal to cuomo to open the private schools that he closed by force. Schools in the red zone are not allowed to be open but there is nothing preventing them from taking their kids on trips outside of the zone. So they can take their kids to Albany to do an "occupy cuomo/albany" as a protest since that is legal. Send some warm clothing, sleeping bags/tents, have some parents supervise and stay there until cuomo agrees to open private schools in the red zones so that kids can go back to school.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:15 am
Thank orange man he had the money instead he gave it to businesses and organizations. Satmar got 2 -5 million per institution as did other mosdos. Imagine that money going directly to families.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:28 am

1. Calling him "Herr Cuomo" is totally out of line. Jews aren't being singled out. Enough with the Holocaust comparisons.

2. Actually, this is, historically, how pandemics have been handled, and there is scientific backing for it, even if not all scientists support it.

3. You know how G-d intended us to live in 2020-2021, because what? How do you know what G-d's intentions for life during this pandemic are?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:29 am
I am not sure why you keep referring to the parents in Albany or what your public school does or doesnt do when I made it clear that there should be an appeal to cuomo to open the private schools that he closed by force. Schools in the red zone are not allowed to be open but there is nothing preventing them from taking their kids on trips outside of the zone. So they can take their kids to Albany to do an "occupy cuomo/albany" as a protest since that is legal. Send some warm clothing, sleeping bags/tents, have some parents supervise and stay there until cuomo agrees to open private schools in the red zones so that kids can go back to school.

I don't think you realize that people who work for the State in Albany, live in Albany.

They will not appreciate the mess, the porta pottys, the traffic disruptions, and they will see this as another NYC tantrum (NYCers already violated rules and held a big even up here---not appreciated and a lot of bad press and eye rolling.) They don't appreciate it from most of these demonstrations.

There will be more focus on the Jewish community up here by the DOH if you come up. There are more risks that there will be positive cases on our shuls that we have gone to great lengths to prevent.

Worse yet, they will see frum Jews, and you folks get to leave. The rest of us here who are already stretched financially and emotionally following the rules, and spending a lot of time having a good relationship with DOH, etc. get to live with people yelling at us as we walk down the street--something that was non existent to becoming more common in recent weeks.

You also spend our already cut tax dollars by forcing Albany DGS to clean up after those events. Our waste collection fees have already been raised this year. Albany City is really hurting. Please don't make it worse. We don't have an NYC budget.

Also, I'm not clear how bussing kids up to Albany without parents and clearly no SD to live in tents with no indoor plumbing or heat is making a good case. It seems kind of backwards--they need in person school and it's not fair because we follow rules, but not indoor plumbing and we're not following the DOH rules? I also feel it's using children for PR, and, I strongly disagree with that. I don't like it when children are used to further adult issues. It's not appropriate.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:38 am
Right they'll let everyone know in november what a coincidence right after the election...

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I don't think you realize that people who work for the State in Albany, live in Albany.

They will not appreciate the mess, the porta pottys, the traffic disruptions, and they will see this as another NYC tantrum (NYCers already violated rules and held a big even up here---not appreciated and a lot of bad press and eye rolling.) They don't appreciate it from most of these demonstrations.

There will be more focus on the Jewish community up here by the DOH if you come up. There are more risks that there will be positive cases on our shuls that we have gone to great lengths to prevent.

Worse yet, they will see frum Jews, and you folks get to leave. The rest of us here who are already stretched financially and emotionally following the rules, and spending a lot of time having a good relationship with DOH, etc. get to live with people yelling at us as we walk down the street--something that was non existent to becoming more common in recent weeks.

You also spend our already cut tax dollars by forcing Albany DGS to clean up after those events. Our waste collection fees have already been raised this year. Albany City is really hurting. Please don't make it worse. We don't have an NYC budget.

Also, I'm not clear how bussing kids up to Albany without parents and clearly no SD to live in tents with no indoor plumbing or heat is making a good case. It seems kind of backwards--they need in person school and it's not fair because we follow rules, but not indoor plumbing and we're not following the DOH rules? I also feel it's using children for PR, and, I strongly disagree with that. I don't like it when children are used to further adult issues. It's not appropriate.

If they work for the state, I am sure they are being compensated somewhat for being unable to work due to childcare.

What does this have to do with small business owners whose finances are dwindling away due to shutdowns and small children with no other care?

Do you realize the financial impact this is having on millions of Americans? Do you realize people’s life’s work is crumbling, and there aren’t many other options to just “make it work” because I’m managing with Zoom school so everyone else must be a spoiled brat?

I’m anti protests but something needs to be done, not just for frum Jews, but for millions of us lower middle class Americans.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

NYC had blm riots, a womens rally, gun violence, occupy city hall, fireworks, etc but you have complaints about one Jewish protest and now you are saying that albany is suffering because of Jews? How is that not anti-semitic rhetoric? Do Jews not pay taxes and are therefore not entitled to the same rights as blm? You wouldnt dare say anything if blm decides to do an occupy albany regardless of how much it would cost, people in Albany shouldnt have a problem with Jews doing the same thing. Unless of course they are anti-semitic.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:41 am
The right to protest is essential.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:45 am
It's hard, no doubt. But sorry, OP, you asked how you can work if kids don't have school, implying they're learning remotely and home all day. Doesn't sound like the case. Yes, you're a bit late in the morning, need to leave an hour earlier, and one kid comes to your office (many parents don't have that option) half way through.
You're still putting in the majority of daily hours. The state of your mind is another issue and, as I said, it's not easy. It's still better to have the job than having to quit it to stay home with distant learning, isn't it?
I do agree with whoever said that if one needs the money, they make it work. No one said it'll be easy.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics