Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hospital visitation
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes. If people are denied food, drink, being changed.... yes they ARE negligent.

They are not being denied food, drink and being changed. It is just not on the same level family would do, but as adequate as a typical nursing home/hospital can do. That's why it's helpful to have family there. I have personally advocate for family and support donating money but it doesn't mean people should avoid hospitals. Let's say family is 5 star care - hospitals are giving 2 or 3 star, not 0 star.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
They are not being denied food, drink and being changed. It is just not on the same level family would do, but as adequate as a typical nursing home/hospital can do. That's why it's helpful to have family there. I have personally advocate for family and support donating money but it doesn't mean people should avoid hospitals. Let's say family is 5 star care - hospitals are giving 2 or 3 star, not 0 star.

I cannot believe what I am reading. But glad you are ok with “adequate care”

yksraya

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:22 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
I am not understanding something, someone pls explain.
Why are patients not getting adequate care ... such as food & water in timely manner ?
I may understand the reason for short visiting hours, but why such poor care .
Hospitals are not overwhelmed now, the way they were back in April... so what the issue now ?

It depends really on the nurses. Some are great, some should've been fired.
When I was in post partum, I did sometimes have to wait very long for them to bring the pain meds. I sometimes had other unpleasant experiences. And most nurses where good and caring.
When someone is too Ill to take care of themselves, and there is no one at their side, and then by chance the nurse on shift is one who shouldn't be having such a job, the outcome is dire.

During the pandemic tho, hospitals were overwhelmed, and even the good nurses couldn't always be available quickly enough.

Bh, my relative did get good care, no complains there. They tried everything possible, to the best of their knowledge and ability.

Last edited by yksraya on Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I cannot believe what I am reading. But glad you are ok with “adequate care”

You really expect a hospital to give 5 star care? You realize how long anything takes in our health care system? That's why we like to have family there, if possible.

yksraya

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
You really expect a hospital to give 5 star care? You realize how long anything takes in our health care system? That's why we like to have family there, if possible.
at least 4 star care. My relative got great care. But in city hospitals at they time, they gave more like 1-2 star care. I would not want my relative there. One nechama we have is that he was taken care of really well. We heard horrifying personal stories from other hospitals, and even from that same hospital but the other floor (other nurses obviously). It was first hand true stories. Had we not heard it first hand, we would not believe it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:31 pm
Bluepink wrote:
As an RN in a hospital that used to allow tablets but no longer does, I’m sorry and I’m with you all the way. During our unit meeting discussing the policy change, I tried to argue on behalf of patients and families, but no one else agreed. The reason they don’t allow them is not only because the nurses are being watched, but because they can be videotaped or recorded somehow. I really don’t see that logic at all, because we always used to allow family 24/7, where they would watch us ( and often secretly record us). I don’t see the difference between remote monitoring vs them being at the bedside.
I also saw the amazing impact of a tablet with 2 way video on my family members recovery back in June. He would have been delirious and aggressive without the ability to see us. We were able to talk to him and reorient him any time of day.

People are starting to sue, and if the hospital allows themselves to take that risk then they will have to shell out a lot of money - that they don't have to spare right now - just to deal with the lawsuit. Even if they win they will still be down tens of thousands of dollars, and they can't afford it.

Ethically speaking, it is better to ban the use of tablets if they might cause lawsuits, than allow the use of tablets and risk being unable to provide adequate care to patients, or unable to admit patients who need treatment.

If people weren't so sue-happy, maybe the hospitals wouldn't have to change their policies to accommodate that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:45 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
People are starting to sue, and if the hospital allows themselves to take that risk then they will have to shell out a lot of money - that they don't have to spare right now - just to deal with the lawsuit. Even if they win they will still be down tens of thousands of dollars, and they can't afford it.

Ethically speaking, it is better to ban the use of tablets if they might cause lawsuits, than allow the use of tablets and risk being unable to provide adequate care to patients, or unable to admit patients who need treatment.

If people weren't so sue-happy, maybe the hospitals wouldn't have to change their policies to accommodate that.

Or they can stop giving nurses mor patients than they can handle, they can allow family in to help

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I don’t “like” having family there. I consider that a crucial part of recovery. That’s the difference. You view it as optional. This isn’t a spa. So I don’t get your rating system. But I absolutely want more than the minimum care.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:58 pm
Just posting to add another thank you to blue pink! We need more nurses like you!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:44 pm
what are people suing the hospital for???
I thought they cant be sued for anything related to covid???
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics