Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
What is your 6th grade daughter learning in Chumash and Navi

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:50 am
And where did you get materials from? I am waiting to start Chumash and Navi until Krishna and dikduk skills are up to par, but I have no idea where to start once we are ready.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:55 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
And where did you get materials from? I am waiting to start Chumash and Navi until Krishna and dikduk skills are up to par, but I have no idea where to start once we are ready.

Chumash in sixth grade is usually parshiyos Beshalach, yisro and mishpatim.
Navi is usually Shmuel Alef

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:56 am
I don't have a daughter in 6th grade, but I used to teach it. Chumash was Bamidbar, Navi Shmuel Alef.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:19 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

I love how your autocorrect decided to go with Krishna for Judaic studies.
My sixth grader is in Israel so that probably doesn’t help you. But she’s learning Dvarim and Shmuel Bet (incidentally three of my five children are learning Shmuel Bet this year in tenth ninth and sixth grades).

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:23 am
You can find many resources at chinuch.org. Also, P’TACH puts out some excellent workbooks, not necessarily limited to special ed. Hatzlocha!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:43 am
If she’s never done chumashbefore why not start with Bereshit and work up.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:36 pm
We did Ki Sisa, Teruma, Tetzaveh, Vayakhel-Pekudei quickly, and then Bamidbar, Naso, and Beha'alosecha.

In Navi, we did Shmuel Bais.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:59 pm
DD is now in 7th grade. Last year they kind of skipped around, I remember studying parts of Ki Sisah with her, particularly the inyan chet HaEgel and the 13 Middas Harachamim (which they memorized, along with the explanation, etc...)

Navi was Shmuel Aleph.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:53 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I love how your autocorrect decided to go with Krishna for Judaic studies.
My sixth grader is in Israel so that probably doesn’t help you. But she’s learning Dvarim and Shmuel Bet (incidentally three of my five children are learning Shmuel Bet this year in tenth ninth and sixth grades).

😆 I didn’t even notice that!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:55 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
If she’s never done chumashbefore why not start with Bereshit and work up.

She has. This is her first year at home. I’m wondering if WHAT she learns is as important as the SKILLS she is learning. I’m applying to school for her for next year, in case we decide to go that rout, and I don’t want her to be behind.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:57 pm
Israeli BY, sefer Bereishis with Rashi and Melachim alef. They still have to finish shmuel ב since corona messed them up last year.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:15 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
She has. This is her first year at home. I’m wondering if WHAT she learns is as important as the SKILLS she is learning. I’m applying to school for her for next year, in case we decide to go that rout, and I don’t want her to be behind.

I would check with the school, then. Find out what they're covering, and make sure she has an overview of what happens. Also ask a parent if possible, because often a school will say, "We're doing through the end of the sefer", and any girl who did that grade knows what parsha they actually get to.

If you are focusing on skills or connection or the like, you can do whatever works for you, even if it's only one parsha or less. But give her the background on the rest. Maybe throw the more famous Rashi's in when you get to them by parshas hashavua.

ETA: most schools IME focus more on skills by chumash, and less by navi.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:57 pm
Op, where do you live? It makes a difference. Also are you connected with by schools?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Op, where do you live? It makes a difference. Also are you connected with by schools?

Bayswater
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling