Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Syrian Imamothers: What was your swanee like?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:30 pm
I just learned about the swanee ceremony and it sounds so fun and exciting. What was yours like?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just learned about the swanee ceremony and it sounds so fun and exciting. What was yours like?

The actual word is Se-nee-e which means tray
It’s a tray of gifts for the bride.

My MIL presented me with a large white oval basket, decorated in ribbon and lace
Inside was a silky robe, slippers, makeup kit, small jewelry box with a nice watch (seiko), perfume, an evening bag, money for the Mikvah.
This was 33 yrs ago.

Now a days gifts are presented to both the bride and groom. It can be quite elaborate or very simple.
When I mean elaborate I’ve heard, not sure if it’s true, of gifting cars.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:01 pm
Bump
I would like to hear what others have to say about this

heidi

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:06 pm
Not Syrian but attended a swanee (that's how they pronounced it) around 30 years ago.
The one I was at was in a hall and basically a fancy engagement party. Loads of pass arounds and a yummy meal.
The bride's presents were prominently displayed but not references during the party.
I remember a humongous perfume bottle. I mean there was no way she could even fit that on her counter.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:48 pm
Is this another word for חינה? The elaborate affair with embroidered costumes for bride and groom, trays full of sweet oily treats, lots of gold, lots of dancing with oriental music? It seems in Israel every couple with some Moroccan/ North African/Yemenite heritage does this.

etky

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:59 pm
I never heard of this ceremony but I am familiar with an Arab dish that is popular in Israeli called siniya.
There are many varations but basically it is chopped meat and sometimes vegetables baked under a layer of tehina in a large baking dish, or tray that is called a siniya and which gives the dish its name.
Is this ceremony really pronounced swanee as per the OP?
Lol - before I read the post explaining about the tray, I was wondering what Gershwin and Al Jolson had to do with a Syrian pre-wedding ceremony. Rolling Eyes
I mean, yes they were both Jewish but still, I don't think that in today's political climate anyone really wants to dredge up this particular cultural memory. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics