Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social Worker education and salary

cdben

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:56 pm
Hi!
Thinking of going after Social Work through Sara Schenirer’s Dual Degree. Anyone get their degrees through them and can share your experience please? Or might possibly get BA through them and Masters through NYU. Anyone go to NYU’s School of Social Work and can share any info? Specially how the work load and expectations look like in both schools, as I wasn’t the biggest school person and worry about that.
Also, if anyone can please share how much a clinical social worker who eventually would like to have a private practice makes, starting salary? How much do they make taking insurance? Wondering if it’s worth all the time, money and effort and would like to get an idea of how much one can make.
Thanks in advance!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:23 pm
not worth it in my professional experience in this field. here's why.

Very expensive degree.

years of working for free or enough to qualify for medicaid in order to finish hours and meet criteria for licensure.

Not everyone passes the licensure exam - but let's assume you pass... it's months of studying and most students pay for a test prep program too.

Look up social work jobs in your geographical area and decide if the salary is worth it for you. Just keep in mind that you will probably have to work nights/weekends or be "on call".

Private practice isn't as good as it's made out to be. Hard to get clients. Insurance pay is awful and they often reject claims. Even if you charge a lot and get clients (how I still don't know) you can only help so many clients a week before you burn out or find yourself unable to provide good therapy.

Edited to ad:

Also there's a risk of violence from clients. I got burnt out from that aspect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics