Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Viznitz camp memories
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:05 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Hey Saddlebrown,
It's so cool that you were there the very first summer...
Do you have any interesting stories/experiences that you can share with us?
How many girls were there in your bunk?
Who were the directors?
Where did you sleep?
Who were the head counselors?
Hope you don't mind all my questions...

There was a bungalow colony called Davis or Davids nearby. We used their outdoor pool sometimes and the elderly women loved coming over on Shabbos afternoon to the shiur or to anything exciting.The major play,headed by Mrs. Tyberg,was a holocaust story. Of course we invited them. They all ended up leaving in the midst since it was too real & painful for them,survivors. They complimented us anyways...What were we thinking..
Shabbos nachmi was a huge event with tons of guests. We went all out to impress them with our new camp.
My 'chayil' had about 30 girls,a great bunch from different schools.
Camp director was Mrs. Mintz uh,special awesome lady. Program director was Mrs. Suri Weinbaum.(Buksbaum)There were so many ladies in head staff that first year.
We slept either 3 or 6 in a room in the main building,one flight up. (The casas were also used then.)
Esther Rivky Buksbaum,now Hass, & Shaindy Reisz,now Gross were fantastic headcounselors. Theme was haschili ;derhoib dem new unhoib.
Don't mind your questions at all!
Have many experiences,but don't want to bore u!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:23 pm
New amother here, just found this thread.
Oh gosh I'm rolling!

How can you reminisce about Viznitz camp and not mention the song
"Hinei, ze oimeid ________ " aiming for complete silence and inevitably someone clapping and everyone going yoiy!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:27 pm
I was there from ches till staff. Good memories, (and not good ones too lol). In my staff year they got so strict I hated it. They had a mincha chart for staff members, who remembers those paper siddurim chart with your name on it and you had to turn it around when you came to mincha. They were able to see at a glance who wasn't there.
I used to daven on the mike a lot...I can't imagine why I liked it!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:32 pm
The front desk and getting the honors of talking on that loud speaker!
Running over to the message board and checking if anyone called for me.
The phones and the endless lines.
I used to collect call and quickly say the phone number so my mother can call me back. (Those were the times before the beige phones that worked with calling cards I think.)
Ahh the toast in the family room. Such a rare treat, only if I complained that I'm not feeling well.
Mrs. Berger punishing girls on the fire escape or in the showers! I remember how friendly she became once we were TC and had to od.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:33 pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions.
I'm actually quite impressed that you remember so many details.
Trust me, you're not boring us at all...
It's so interesting to hear how everything started...
It's amazing how the camp got so incredibly big.
Why couldn't you swim in the indoor pool?
When did Mrs. Spiegel start being the director?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:34 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
New amother here, just found this thread.
Oh gosh I'm rolling!

How can you reminisce about Viznitz camp and not mention the song
"Hinei, ze oimeid ________ " aiming for complete silence and inevitably someone clapping and everyone going yoiy!

Oh you bet.
Thanks for the nostalgic reminder!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:38 pm
I was there from ches till staff. Good memories, (and not good ones too lol). In my staff year they got so strict I hated it. They had a mincha chart for staff members, who remembers those paper siddurim chart with your name on it and you had to turn it around when you came to mincha. They were able to see at a glance who wasn't there.
I used to daven on the mike a lot...I can't imagine why I liked it!

Me too about getting crazy strict once a staff member.
That turned me off from coming back anymore.
They also threatened me as a staff member that I won't get paid if I ever miss the "minyan" shacharis or mincha even if I daven fully on my own separately because we must daven "betzibur" in the same room same time as everyone. Maybe she wanted us to have gender equality? Lol sarcasm alert.
Seriously! I think that was all Mrs. Blooming's shtick.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:40 pm
The front desk and getting the honors of talking on that loud speaker!
Running over to the message board and checking if anyone called for me.
The phones and the endless lines.
I used to collect call and quickly say the phone number so my mother can call me back. (Those were the times before the beige phones that worked with calling cards I think.)
Ahh the toast in the family room. Such a rare treat, only if I complained that I'm not feeling well.
Mrs. Berger punishing girls on the fire escape or in the showers! I remember how friendly she became once we were TC and had to od.

Yes aaah yes the phones and calls.
And I am forever grateful for strict Mrs. Berger head OD for saving me from a girl who tried molesting me. She caught what was going on and punished her seriously and since then I became her fan despite all her strictness.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:45 pm
What Contatas and Major Plays do you remember?
I remember watching the plays (not as a camper) when they were still in the cheder haoichel.
"Kruka?! Ver in vus in vi in ven..."
I must've been really young when they had the play about the spanish inquisition because I don't remember anything only that I went out because I was too scared.
Hashomer Achi anochi - was that the one with the babies mixed up at birth? It was amazing.
I was in 2 major plays but I can't remember the names! I was sure I would. Maybe it'll come to me. In 1 I acted, in the other I was in pantomime (the roize'le pantomime, anyone remember that?).

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:46 pm
Omg that must've been horrible.
How did Mrs. Berger catch on?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:49 pm
Hi Sienna, everyone remembers that pantomime.
You must be an incredible dancer...

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Me too about getting crazy strict once a staff member.
That turned me off from coming back anymore.
They also threatened me as a staff member that I won't get paid if I ever miss the "minyan" shacharis or mincha even if I daven fully on my own separately because we must daven "betzibur" in the same room same time as everyone. Maybe she wanted us to have gender equality? Lol sarcasm alert.
Seriously! I think that was all Mrs. Blooming's shtick.

Yes definitely was Mrs. Bluming behind that.
I ended up staying only a half summer as staff member because I really wasn't enjoying it.
I worked quite hard being a shiur counselor, I was supposed to get paid. They never paid me. They said I missed too many tefillos or sports shifts, can't remember which excuse they used. But I was furious.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Yes aaah yes the phones and calls.
And I am forever grateful for strict Mrs. Berger head OD for saving me from a girl who tried molesting me. She caught what was going on and punished her seriously and since then I became her fan despite all her strictness.

There are girls constantly sent home for inappropriate behavior they look out for it. My daughter went to viznitz she told me a girl was sent hime

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:52 pm
I was there I believe 27 years ago.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:53 pm
I remember the spanish inquisition major play. It was awesome. I was young and I just watched it and listened to tapes of it.
Oh and the exiles of crocodile island was awesome! I think that one I didn't even watch but remember the songs and lines.
Hashomer uchi unochi I think you are right. There was a contotta that had a very sad Holocaust song. I sang some of it off stage and there was slides along with it. The year after I think (or the year before?) the whole contotta was l'illui nishmas kerenkraut girl who passed away. There was a songdance and choir and I think slides about her.
Once in slides they showed a picture of a bear attacking a child. Gruesome!! Hashem yishmor.
There was the pantomime that was stunning that had only 2 girls dancing in it and lifting each other up. Don't remember the theme of that one. Then a play where the daughter had kidney stone attack but they left the hospital AMA as they felt they were being mistreated. I think that was the same play of Yemenite family and the babies mixed up.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Omg that must've been horrible.
How did Mrs. Berger catch on?

Was pretty ovbious I dont want to see

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Hi Sienna, everyone remembers that pantomime.
You must be an incredible dancer...

The funny thing is I really don't think so! The others were so much more graceful, at least it seemed so to me.
I went to a zumba class recently (before corona) and felt like the biggest klutz. Oh well!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
There was a bungalow colony called Davis or Davids nearby. We used their outdoor pool sometimes and the elderly women loved coming over on Shabbos afternoon to the shiur or to anything exciting.The major play,headed by Mrs. Tyberg,was a holocaust story. Of course we invited them. They all ended up leaving in the midst since it was too real & painful for them,survivors. They complimented us anyways...What were we thinking..
Shabbos nachmi was a huge event with tons of guests. We went all out to impress them with our new camp.
My 'chayil' had about 30 girls,a great bunch from different schools.
Camp director was Mrs. Mintz uh,special awesome lady. Program director was Mrs. Suri Weinbaum.(Buksbaum)There were so many ladies in head staff that first year.
We slept either 3 or 6 in a room in the main building,one flight up. (The casas were also used then.)
Esther Rivky Buksbaum,now Hass, & Shaindy Reisz,now Gross were fantastic headcounselors. Theme was haschili ;derhoib dem new unhoib.
Don't mind your questions at all!
Have many experiences,but don't want to bore u!

I think my first year in camp Mrs. Mintz a"h was still there. Very sad I didn't really get to know her much.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Was pretty ovbious I dont want to see

Omg that's bad. So sorry.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:03 pm
Who remembers the diet songdance?
That was so good.
What were the words again?
Yeder vet zugen wow...kik vee dar zee is...
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics