Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hollywood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:59 pm
I’ve been told Hollywood FL is a good option for young families. Anyone know if a Brooklyn family where the father was in kollel and now is starting to work would feel comfortable there?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:39 pm
Bump

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:41 pm
AFAIK, OTD/modern people are moving out there. I don't think there's a frum community in Hollywood.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
AFAIK, OTD/modern people are moving out there. I don't think there's a frum community in Hollywood.

I'm not so sure about that - I have family there... Frum BH!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:20 am
I don’t know any otd people there. I do know many wonderful very frum people there. There’s a wonderful kollel there and a whole amazing community.
It’s seems very small minded to say that otd and MO live there.

It’s a large mix with a large presence of modern orthodox families. I don’t know if it would work for you unless you had plans of moving near the kollel families. I would quicker suggest north Miami Beach or even Boca.
Good luck

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:27 am
Isn't it mad expensive?
Which might not fit in well with leaving kollel guy...
And lots of proffessionals?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:33 pm
I thought Hollywood is cheaper than nmb and boca...

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:49 pm
There is a very small community of more yeshivish families in Hollywood (I think in west hollywood, not right by the main community). You would be one the only families coming from kollel. The closest school with yeshivish families is in NMB.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought Hollywood is cheaper than nmb and boca...

Don't take my word for it, but IIRC when I was looking at the neighborhoods (more for fun, so I wasn't that deep in the investigation) the homes in Boca were quite reasonable. NMB was reasonable too, but seemed to citylike for me. Hollywood was closer to Manhattan prices.
Not sure about schools, kosher food, shul membership, etc.
Again, I may be way off base so hope someone else weighs in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:56 pm
Thank you!
Anyone from Hollywood, nmb, or boca that would be able to weigh in?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:54 pm
Hollywood has exploded in the past 5 years. It has all types now. There is a significant presence of yeshivish people.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:59 pm
I'm an NMB local. As a former kollel family myself I'd think you'd be much more comfortable in NMB. Hollywood is definitely more modern overall, which is not to say there is no yeshiva/kollel type presence there - there is, but it's much smaller and you'd have to know exactly which section to move in to. It also means bringing/bussing your kids to NMB or miami beach for school daily and having a lot of their similar type friends live in other neighborhoods.
NMB is not cheap for out of town (at all) but as far as I know it's the cheapest (and dumpiest) of all the frum communities in south florida. I'm surprised you heard that Hollywood is cheaper.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I don’t know any otd people there. I do know many wonderful very frum people there. There’s a wonderful kollel there and a whole amazing community.
It’s seems very small minded to say that otd and MO live there.

It’s a large mix with a large presence of modern orthodox families. I don’t know if it would work for you unless you had plans of moving near the kollel families. I would quicker suggest north Miami Beach or even Boca.
Good luck

Ok, sorry about that. My OTD friend recently moved to Hollywood with a group of OTD couples, she gave me the impression that it's basically a very modern community. They probably don't live near the frum crowd.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I'm an NMB local.
NMB is not cheap for out of town (at all) but as far as I know it's the cheapest (and dumpiest) of all the frum communities in south florida. I'm surprised you heard that Hollywood is cheaper.

I looked at housing prices in nmb and Hollywood and actually found nmb is much more expensive for smaller houses like 1600sf, than some larger 5-br houses in Hollywood.
Is there affordable housing for large families in nmb? For like 8-10 kids.

Also. How high is tuition in frum schools, and are there discounts?
Basically, can non-millionaires with large families afford to live there and send kids to schools?

What part of nmb are frum schools located in?

Tia

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:51 pm
Hollywood is VERY big, distance wise, lots of land.
Where the OTD families live and where the very frum Kolel ppl live could 5+ miles.
Keep in mind we have lots of land here.
There are a lot of small “shteibles” in Hollywood, inside the gated communities.

IMHO- the very frum in Hollywood are Israeli Kollel.
The American are more modern Young Israel type.
Then you have a lot of morrocans that run the gamut. The very frum usually identify themselves with the “shteibles”

NMB also runs the gamut, but if you are looking for an American Kolel/Yeshivish crowd that’s the place to be

You also have, besides the ones you mentioned
Miami Beach
Surfside/Bal Harbor/Bay Harbor
Aventura
Aventura Lakes

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:08 pm
At this moment, Hollywood is the epitome of a mixed neighborhood. You have OTD to Kollel Family and every possibility in between. The school is an issue if you are looking for something different than straight Modern Orthodox. Then you'd be subjecting your kids to a bus or car ride that might be affected by traffic.
However, you get a lot more house for your money in Hollywood than NMB.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:24 pm
1. There are plenty of Yeshivish families in Hollywood
2. The majority of them are Sephardic Israeli
3. At last report around 40,000 Israelis live in and around Hollywood. Not sure how true this is. But there are 25 orthodox shuls (9 chabads, 13 Sephardic, 4 Ashkenaz) and 5 Hebrew language newspapers so maybe.
4. NMB houses are a little cheaper but homeowners insurance is higher because Hollywood is further inland. My friend lives in NMB in a cheaper house but her total PITI is $500/month more than mine
5. We are a frum family of 6 and live in Hollywood on $55,000/year or so. It's hard but we are also around average earners of people we know. However, I run in Sephardic Israeli blue collar circles.

All that matters in Florida is your PITI not your house price. Your taxes and insurance vary greatly by city and elevation. One side of the street can be a lot cheaper or more expensive than the other.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:42 pm
I live in Turnberry Aventura.
I’m not sure if this is true or not
But Hollywood is safer than NMB when it comes to crimes, gangs, etc.
There are places in NMB that I am scared to go even during the day.
For example I try to avoid NMB Walmart and happily go to the one in Hallandale.

If I’m wrong I do apologize

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
1. There are plenty of Yeshivish families in Hollywood
2. The majority of them are Sephardic Israeli
3. At last report around 40,000 Israelis live in and around Hollywood. Not sure how true this is. But there are 25 orthodox shuls (9 chabads, 13 Sephardic, 4 Ashkenaz) and 5 Hebrew language newspapers so maybe.
4. NMB houses are a little cheaper but homeowners insurance is higher because Hollywood is further inland. My friend lives in NMB in a cheaper house but her total PITI is $500/month more than mine
5. We are a frum family of 6 and live in Hollywood on $55,000/year or so. It's hard but we are also around average earners of people we know. However, I run in Sephardic Israeli blue collar circles.

All that matters in Florida is your PITI not your house price. Your taxes and insurance vary greatly by city and elevation. One side of the street can be a lot cheaper or more expensive than the other.

Do yeshivish people from Hollywood commute to schools in nmb?

Does it work with kids of different ages in terms of dismissal for elementary and high school?

I’m not sure but I keep seeing nmb prices much higher for small homes than some what’s available in Hollywood for bigger homes, like 1600sf vs 2700sf.

How does tuition work?

What age do boys start Yeshiva?

Is there boys high school mesivta there?

Thank you for taking your time answering this.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Ok, sorry about that. My OTD friend recently moved to Hollywood with a group of OTD couples, she gave me the impression that it's basically a very modern community. They probably don't live near the frum crowd.

Please don't conflate "modern" with "OTD."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating