Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When do you turn on your heat?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:00 pm
When do you turn on your heat? Its currently in the 40s/ low 50s where I live, and I am ready. dh thinks we should wait a little bit and use space heater in room that I am. this makes sense, just wondering when others make the transition

Einikel

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:02 pm
In turn it on/ off if I feel cold. No specific temp or time. My apartment is generally warm without having heat on.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:03 pm
Whenever it is needed to keep the indoor temperature around 70. Random nights in the summer, chilly fall mornings, I don't care what the calendar says. I can't stand when the house is cold!

keym

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:19 pm
I have central air/heat.
Around now, I turn my heat to 65/64. If it gets that cold inside, the heat kicks on.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:21 pm
keym wrote:
I have central air/heat.
Around now, I turn my heat to 65/64. If it gets that cold inside, the heat kicks on.

same, during weekdays.

At night, I turn it down to 60.

On Shabbos, I turn it up to 67.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:23 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
same, during weekdays.

At night, I turn it down to 60.

On Shabbos, I turn it up to 67.

And after Pesach, I turn my AC to 78. That's usually when the house feels unbearably hot even with open windows.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:25 pm
my house is still at 68, but it feels cold. I guess space heater is the way to go for us for now. thanks for the answers

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:27 pm
keym wrote:
And after Pesach, I turn my AC to 78. That's usually when the house feels unbearably hot even with open windows.

I basically turn on the AC once it will stay above 75 upstairs, (which is hotter than downstairs) even at night.

Where I live now has a long heating season...so it's usually closer to June when I turn on AC.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:27 pm
64? Thats freezing to me.
Outdoors whem its 64 the weather is beautiful. But indoors its cold. Same with summer.
Outdoors 80° is really nice indoors 75 is HOT.

I turn on the heating / AC whenever its hot or cold. I dont go by outside temperature or the time if year. At night we always like cooler than daytime.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:31 pm
I don't go by what the weather is outside.
I go by what my thermostat says inside.
I try to avoid turning on the heat, and leave it as low as possible.
We have allergies and excema. Our excema all flares up with the heater on, and we all develop sore throats and postnasal drips.
Not to mention the cost of the heat.
We use sweatshirts and warm blankets.

tymama

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:37 pm
I turn it on at night and off during the day. My kids tend to kick their blankets off so I don’t want them to be cold at night.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:28 am
Einikel wrote:
In turn it on/ off if I feel cold. No specific temp or time. My apartment is generally warm without having heat on.

Talk about warm houses. No heat on and my apartment is currently 76 degrees!!!! Ac is broken.

I have central ac and heat. Ac is set on 70. The norm usage is from pesach to succos, can be earlier and later too. And heat, I barely put on, I set to wtvr whenever needed.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:32 am
My heat is on 74. I hate the cold.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:51 am
My landlords control the heat we have radiators (how to keep an active little boy away from those things?) and this long pipe in the bathroom that warms it up.

Mothers

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:53 am
In NYC, “Heating Season” runs from Oct. 1 through May 31. Landlords are required to follow the temperature guidelines below:

-From 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., the indoor temperature must be at least 68 degrees if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees.
-The temperature must be at least 62 degrees between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., regardless of outside temperature.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:32 am
We usually turn it on around when it gets below 50 at night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics