Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone significantly overweight & had COVID? How was it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:54 am
If you're significantly overweight and had COVID, or personally know another woman who goes into that category, could you please share your/their experience? If you could include details like age, other health conditions such as high blood pressure etc. it would be very helpful.

Thanks so much in advance!

thanks

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:02 am
I recently spoke with my mother's doctor, and he said people who are obese are definitely getter sicker than others. I can't tell you from personal experience, just sharing the knowledge of a good doctor with his feet on the ground treating many people.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:11 am
I'm morbidly obese and had covid in April without knowing. I realized that I had no sense of smell and then tested positive for antibodies. BH! I know plenty of larger individuals who had very mild cases.
Overweight people are always treated with bias in the medical world. Any medical concern or pain is always attributed to being overweight. Many larger individuals avoid Doctors.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:13 am
AFAIK, the reason it's worse for overweight people is due to strain on the lungs and other related conditions. Which means that if you know your lung status and general health info, that's a better metric.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:16 am
My dad. Was managed at home (no o2 needed) and made a full recovery BH! Of note though he is obese he does not have HTN or DM. He’s ‘healthy’ obese

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
AFAIK, the reason it's worse for overweight people is due to strain on the lungs and other related conditions. Which means that if you know your lung status and general health info, that's a better metric.
my guess would be that it has a lot to do with inflammation. Lots of what we’re seeing with covid is actually immune reaction, cytokine storms etc, and overweight people already have a lot of inflammation, oxidative stress going on

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

I've also learned that additional fat can contribute to increased inflammatory response, which plays a part in some complications. Obviously there are no hard and fast rules, only increased likelihood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I'm morbidly obese and had covid in April without knowing. I realized that I had no sense of smell and then tested positive for antibodies. BH! I know plenty of larger individuals who had very mild cases.
Overweight people are always treated with bias in the medical world. Any medical concern or pain is always attributed to being overweight. Many larger individuals avoid Doctors.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it. It's reassuring to hear that being obese and having COVID isn't a death sentence. Smile

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:23 am
I'm quite overweight, close to 200lb, and I have asthma. I had no idea that I had it until I lost my smell/taste a few days after I had what I thought was a bad allergy/sinus day.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:26 am
I started this thread to hear real life experiences of obese people who had COVID. If anyone would like to discuss the reasons why obese people may have a harder time with COVID, please start a separate thread for that.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:30 am
My friend is obese. She was just in the ICU for 12 days, now in rehab

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:31 am
My husband. He was in the hospital 5 days, and still has not completely recovered 6 months later.

My friend J. He was in the ICU on a ventilator for months, in hospital / rehab for more than 7 months.

Me. It took all my energy to get from the bed to the bathroom, just a few feet away. I ran a 104 fever, and sweat through my pajamas and sheets for days and days. Then there was the night I could not breathe, and knew -- KNEW -- I was going to die. I used the last bits of energy I had to write short notes to each of my kids, saying I loved them.

My BIL. He died.

I know you're looking to hear that its not so bad, that the doctors are all lying to you, that more than 200,000 people in the US haven't really died.

Sorry. Covid is horrific.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:35 am
DH is obese and I was so worried when he had COVID but it was just a mild flu for him bH

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My friend is obese. She was just in the ICU for 12 days, now in rehab

Could you share her age please?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I started this thread to hear real life experiences of obese people who had COVID. If anyone would like to discuss the reasons why obese people may have a harder time with COVID, please start a separate thread for that.

I don't mean to sound accusatory, but that sounds awfully researchy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My husband. He was in the hospital 5 days, and still has not completely recovered 6 months later.

My friend J. He was in the ICU on a ventilator for months, in hospital / rehab for more than 7 months.

Me. It took all my energy to get from the bed to the bathroom, just a few feet away. I ran a 104 fever, and sweat through my pajamas and sheets for days and days. Then there was the night I could not breathe, and knew -- KNEW -- I was going to die. I used the last bits of energy I had to write short notes to each of my kids, saying I loved them.

My BIL. He died.

I know you're looking to hear that its not so bad, that the doctors are all lying to you, that more than 200,000 people in the US haven't really died.

Sorry. Covid is horrific.

Sounds like you've been through the ringer Sad

Men are clearly having a more difficult time with COVID than women, that's why I was more interested in hearing women's experiences. As far as your experience, I've heard of many women who went through similar whether they were overweight or not.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Could you share her age please?

In her 40s

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:40 am
I weigh 220 ish. I was 2 months post partum. 34 years old. Id say I had classic basic covid. Same as my super slim husband. A week or two of low grade fever. Slight cough. Weak. Nothing crazy bh.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:49 am
I know someone in her 40's - obese - who got covid Pesach time. She was on a vent for days and than on ECMO and then went to rehab and she is still not back to herself - she also still takes a ton of meds.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:15 pm
I'm obese. I had covid in march. I was on antibiotics for pneumonia, ran high fever, but bh had a complete recovery at home.

Three other family members are healthy weight and were in the hospital.

We all have the same blood type. I attribute it to blood type more than weight.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics