Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is a leapfrog fire tablet appropriate for a 12 year old?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:58 am
What ages do you think it’s really for?

We don’t have technology in our home. This will be a new thing for us. I like that the leapfrog is preloaded with games. I wouldn’t even know where to start if I had to download them myself.

Looking for advice-

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:00 am
If you're interested, DB electronics sells a kosher version, it's called a Jfrog.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:21 am
I don’t know what the leapfrog fire tablet specifically is.. but I am familiar with the leapfrog products, I did have them for my kids when they were younger, and in my experience they are for very young kids, toddler up to like 8/9 years old. If you look at the games they have, most of them say the ages they’re appropriate for. Not much for a 12 year old.

Also, don’t think the games are all pre downloaded, in the old days like 7 years ago I bought the games separately, each one was a little cartridge, but now with the newer tablets you actually have to buy the games you want digitally.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
If you're interested, DB electronics sells a kosher version, it's called a Jfrog.

It’s been discontinued

behappy2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:50 am
It's for younger kids and you need to buy the games online. There is also a browser, although there should be parental controls.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:57 am
See if someone is selling the original Leapfrog/Leappad with cartridge games. Check Craigslist, your local Facebook group, or Whatsapp group. Many neighborhoods have a FB group called "Buy Nothing", "Freecycle", or "Buy, Sell, Trade." If you can't access these, maybe a neighbor can help you look.

My DD had one, and she LOVED it. They were all learning games, but she thought they were the best thing ever. I don't know if it even registered to her that she was supposed to learn from them, she just liked the feeling of mastery and getting to the next level. A good learning game should be like that, where's it's so much fun that it never feels like work.

Something to keep in mind: If you child struggles with English, spelling, or basic math, these games will not be "too young" for him. He'll still enjoy them, and I highly recommend them for anyone who is behind in these subjects or needs supplemental help.

It's a lot cheaper than a tutor, too! Very Happy

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:37 am
What are you trying to accomplish

I worked for a company that produced educational software including games that were actually sophisticated learning devices. We had systems for school systems as well as stuff aimed for the consumer market.

Leapfrog is geared for much younger children so academics are not suitable for a 12 year old unless the child needs remedial help in some area and wouldn't mind the very unsophisticated interface.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:52 am
Amarante wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish

I worked for a company that produced educational software including games that were actually sophisticated learning devices. We had systems for school systems as well as stuff aimed for the consumer market.

Leapfrog is geared for much younger children so academics are not suitable for a 12 year old unless the child needs remedial help in some area and wouldn't mind the very unsophisticated interface.

I am looking for a device for my child to play games without having internet access.
This child could use some remedial help but would be disappointed if those were the only age appropriate games.
I can take the device to TAG but I first need a significant amount of games before disconnecting WiFi. The leapfrog tablet has downloaded games these days so that was a good thing for me. If it’s not age appropriate then I’d like to find something else preferably with download games.

simcha2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:02 am
The recommended ages for the leapfrog tablet is 3-8.

Really don't think it will be age appropriate.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:05 am
Whatever pre downloaded games the leapfrog would have are going to be so basic if wouldn’t entertain A 12 year old for more then 10 minutes.
Most of their games are educational, think like tracing A B C’s, basic spelling and adding sums.
Maybe ask TAG if they have suggestions for a safe device that would be game friendly.
Personally, my 12 year old likes to play sports games on his PlayStation or with friends on a Nintendo switch type thing. There are also personal Ds’s but hopefully TAG can give you some insight on what’s the safest.. We buy my son games on discs at game stop. For him a LeapPad would be a joke, but possibly for a kid who hasn’t had any device access till now, the leapfrog may interest him slightly for a little..

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:24 am
The leapfrog range is usually designed for much younger children, so I can't imagine it will entertain a 12yo for long.
We had a stand alone computer, that was not connected to the internet. We then had things called CDs (remember those) and the games were on the CDs. There was quite a few different ones and there was no issue with internet etc. Would something like that work for you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children