Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Old Lakewood memories...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:30 am
While we're on the topic of memories, anyone else here from old Lakewood- like 80's, 90's?
Remember when Lawrence/Squankum was considered far out and just newly built?
Forest Park was just being built and whoever dreamed of living so far?
Co-op had sep men and women hours?
You knew every girl your age in Lakewood?
The furthest anyone had to walk to their friend was maybe 20 minutes?
There was down 14th st and around the lake neighborhoods, which were considered further out?
Most stores were on Clifton?
Klein's shoes was the only shoe store?

I can go on and on! Anyone else?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:34 am
I remember the old coop in Yeshiva Apt
Penny candy at Esterdales
Mr Bookman kashering chicken at Bais Kaila
The Pizza truck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I remember the old coop in Yeshiva Apt
Penny candy at Esterdales
Mr Bookman kashering chicken at Bais Kaila
The Pizza truck!

yup, the pizza truck before Pesach. Those heavenly smells!

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:01 am
I obviously don’t remember these, but there was a time when:
Moving across Rt. 9 was considered far out.
Squankum was a 1-lane road.
Before this:
Moving past 10th st was considered far out.
Before this:
Forest road was unpaved.

One thing which I do remember was when a builder built himself a nice house (probably 4000 square feet) on Carey St. and it was the largest house in Lakewood.

Someone told DH that he was driving R Aharon ZTL down 7th st. and remarked that IYH one day all of these (small) houses would be occupied by Yungerleit. Rav Aharon got unsaid and said, “Chas Veshalom that Yungerleit should live with such gashmiyus!”

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:05 am
Bursztyns classikids!
The woods by the water company extended till the end of sunset.
Princeton ave was scary to walk on alone.
Same for Monmouth after tenth street.
Pizza plus was a long hallway with like 3 chairs.
I can go on and on...

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:10 am
I moved to Lakewood after my wedding in the late 90's.
My good friend (a native Lakewooder) thought I was moving really far out (my apartment was on 9th and Lexington).
There were no eat-in pizza shops or restaurants, really (maybe some old tables in R&S).
Shloimy's was on Clifton and Country Line Rd. I used to get off the bus there (I worked in NY), get all my groceries, and walk home. Sometimes I got a deliver from KFS. I didn't know where the co-op was for about 2 years at least.
When we bought our first home (in 2001) we thought S. side of the lake was too far out.
A little later, my best friend moved to Spruce area. We really thought she was a bit nuts.
When Westgate was being built, it may as well have been on Mars.
There weren't many school choices when registering my DD for Primary. A new school called Tiferes, a new school called Bais Tova...in the end, we only applied to Bais Faiga.
I remember getting DD shoes on Clifton Ave, Mrs. Beane fitted her. And there was one big clothing store, Classy Kids or something like that? And some clothes in Juvenile Planet.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:29 am
This comment probably doesn't belong in this thread and the thing I miss the most about old Lakewood didn't even take place in Lakewood.

Back then in the early 80s we had to do all of our Yom Tov shopping in Brooklyn.

We were in a store on 13th Avenue in Boro Park. My mother wanted to pay by check. (This was before credit cards were common ) The store owner said that he doesn't accept checks before Yom Tov becuase with the husband and wife Yom Tov shopping and writing out checks with no contact with each other to know what is left in the account (this was before cell phones were common too)checks bounce too often Yom Tov time.

He offered to hold the items for us but my mother said she isn't coming back from Lakewood before Yom Tov again. The storekeeper immediately changed his mind and said "Oh, I didn't realize you were from Lakewood. I have customers from all over the United States but I only make two exceptions and accept checks Yom Tov time. From Lakewood people (and also Kensington, Brooklyn) becuase if their check bounces they will run after me to pay. Not the other way around"

I can think of other such stories from back then. One was even with a non-Jew. Back then there was an attitude of "A Yid from Lakewood would never cheat or not pay what they owe you"

Who today still thinks that way?

That is what I miss the most about old Lakewood

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:36 am
malki2 wrote:
I obviously don’t remember these, but there was a time when:
Moving across Rt. 9 was considered far out.
Squankum was a 1-lane road.
Before this:
Moving past 10th st was considered far out.
Before this:
Forest road was unpaved.

One thing which I do remember was when a builder built himself a nice house (probably 4000 square feet) on Carey St. and it was the largest house in Lakewood.

Someone told DH that he was driving R Aharon ZTL down 7th st. and remarked that IYH one day all of these (small) houses would be occupied by Yungerleit. Rav Aharon got unsaid and said, “Chas Veshalom that Yungerleit should live with such gashmiyus!”

Squankum is still a one lane road Confused ....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Bursztyns classikids!
The woods by the water company extended till the end of sunset.
Princeton ave was scary to walk on alone.
Same for Monmouth after tenth street.
Pizza plus was a long hallway with like 3 chairs.
I can go on and on...

I remember shopping with my mother as a kid in Bursztyn's basement on 6th st.. That's where we got all the clothing. I can still smell and feel those crowded aisles...
Yes, the RY didn't let any store have sit down and Pizza Plus had maybe 2 stools and Bagel Nosh didn't either have sit down.
My father went to the co-op once a week before Shabbos and bought all groceries for the week. That was it. there was no concept of running to the grocery for more snack or fresh bagels etc..
Those were the days..Lakewood was considered a small yeshiva out of town. How I miss it!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:47 am
The boys and the girls went on the bus together to Bais Faiga (then Bais Yaakov) and the Cheder. No school uniforms. Primary in Cywiak’s basement.
Lakewood Cheder Zoo.
Two day camps - Bais Faiga day camp in July and and Ahavath Torah day camp in August.
No pizza shops unless you drove to Manalapan. R&S and Kosher Experience were the only two kosher restaurants.
The Co-op was in the Irv.
The egg man used to deliver eggs in his little truck.
Bais Kaila was sooo far out because the high school girls couldn’t be anywhere remotely near the yeshiva.
Shopping In Bursztyn and Klein’s basement (I have serious trauma from pushing through all those racks of clothes and changing in the corners).
Watching the lobsters in the tank at Shop Rite. And then they got a huge screen where we could watch movies while our parents shopped.. but that was short lived.
Bumping into the school principals, all of us renting videos from the library.
Shopping in Odd Job and Wholesale for Kids.
So much less judgment all around.
And yes, OP, I knew almost everyone my age in Lakewood!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:54 am
Who remembers the yeshiva list? LOL! Smile
We used to comb thru the names and try to figure out which Moshe Cohen on Forest Ave was our teacher's husband!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:55 am
So ... I moved here in 2004 because I wanted to live the old Lakewood style life but it’s been changing drastically. I’m wondering if there is a place in the world that has old Lakewood style life because I would want to move there.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:56 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
So ... I moved here in 2004 because I wanted to live the old Lakewood style life but it’s been changing drastically. I’m wondering if there is a place in the world that has old Lakewood style life because I would want to move there.

2004? Party was long over by then...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:58 am

They say Cleveland is now the new old Lakewood...

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:59 am
Who remembers when the Brooklyn kids made fun of Lakewood kids and then they all got married and moved here...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
The boys and the girls went on the bus together to Bais Faiga (then Bais Yaakov) and the Cheder. No school uniforms. Primary in Cywiak’s basement.
Lakewood Cheder Zoo.
Two day camps - Bais Faiga day camp in July and and Ahavath Torah day camp in August.
No pizza shops unless you drove to Manalapan. R&S and Kosher Experience were the only two kosher restaurants.
Bais Kaila was sooo far out because the high school girls couldn’t be anywhere remotely near the yeshiva.
Shopping In Bursztyn and Klein’s basement (I have serious trauma from pushing through all those racks of clothes and changing in the corners).
Watching the lobsters in the tank at Shop Rite. And then they got a huge screen where we could watch movies while our parents shopped.. but that was short lived.

My Primary was actually in another basement..
Yes, Odd Job and Shoprite and Jamesway! Who remembers Footprints? Best shoes ever!
Yes, Bais Kaila was practically in another town and if we'd miss the bus, there were almost no taxis avail to take us! All the houses around were non jews and Rabbi Mayer would wait for us on every holiday and remind us no bells and keep quiet bec neighbors are sleeping..
Maybe we should make a sep thread with old Bais Kaila memories...
The productions, the old uniforms, the togetherness of all types and stripes...
Nothing can replace it!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Primary was actually in another basement..
Yes, Odd Job and Shoprite and Jamesway! Who remembers Footprints? Best shoes ever!
Yes, Bais Kaila was practically in another town and if we'd miss the bus, there were almost no taxis avail to take us! All the houses around were non jews and Rabbi Mayer would wait for us on every holiday and remind us no bells and keep quiet bec neighbors are sleeping..
Maybe we should make a sep thread with old Bais Kaila memories...
The productions, the old uniforms, the togetherness of all types and stripes...
Nothing can replace it!

You must be a bit older than I.. in first grade we were already in Bais Faiga, so we were the last primary in a basement.
I forgot to mention the Yiddish class!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Lakewood Cheder Zoo.

Bais Faiga daycamp! I can write a book about that one!
Does anyone remember swimming in the creek? Surprised

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
You must be a bit older than I.. in first grade we were already in Bais Faiga, so we were the last primary in a basement.
I forgot to mention the Yiddish class!

My first year in Bais Faiga building was 4th. The freshness of that new building with workers all over the place! Was major!

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:08 pm

South Fallsburg.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics