Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do I really need a sheet on my baby’s crib?
Previous  1  2

miami85

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 12:24 pm
I have a kid who from a very young age would throw EVERYTHING out of his crib--sheet and all. Even now (he's almost 3) I will make his bed, and he takes everything off.

So if baby is sleeping well otherwise, I wouldn't make a big deal about a sheet.

Frumme

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And I tried the bigger size diapers, it didn’t help at all.

Bigger diapers isn't always the answer, sometimes you need to change the brand of diaper, or revisit how you put on the diaper. Like where is the leakage happening? If it's from the legs, make sure you're fluffing out the "ruffles" by the legs. If it's coming out from the back, try a brand that has a ruffle pocket in the back like Huggies snug and dry or get a diaper back extender on Amazon. Make sure it's not too tight. Etc etc

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:25 pm
Frumme wrote:
Bigger diapers isn't always the answer, sometimes you need to change the brand of diaper, or revisit how you put on the diaper. Like where is the leakage happening? If it's from the legs, make sure you're fluffing out the "ruffles" by the legs. If it's coming out from the back, try a brand that has a ruffle pocket in the back like Huggies snug and dry or get a diaper back extender on Amazon. Make sure it's not too tight. Etc etc

He’s leaking from the front. His diaper isn’t even always soaked.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:27 pm
Put a waterproof mattress pad on top of the waterproof mattress and the sheet on top of that. This way the mattress pad gets the stains not the mattress itself and the baby is sleeping on a better material (cotton is definitely better for delicate skin, than plastic) . It’s probably safer to use a sheet in terms of a suffocation risk with plastic. You can also find these washable pads that I used to use as a double layer , on top of the mattress cover , beneath the sheet . This helped me not have to remove and wash the mattress cover often.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:32 pm
Yes you do. Try different diaper brands and pads.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby looks comfortable, he’s not sweating. And the mattress is getting dirty either way, the sheet doesn’t keep it clean.

So the baby is sleeping on filth. Intentionally. Put a clean sheets down for goodness sakes. I'm not the housekeeper par excellence, but just put a sheet down.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:59 pm
Just make sheet morning routine. It’s really not such a big deal unless you make it one. Buy a few more (in cute patterns!)

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s leaking from the front. His diaper isn’t even always soaked.

Make sure his eiver is pointing down when you put on the pamper and use pamper inserts.

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
So the baby is sleeping on filth. Intentionally. Put a clean sheets down for goodness sakes. I'm not the housekeeper par excellence, but just put a sheet down.

This is nasty and not even what the op said. She just said she has to wash the mattress even when there’s a sheet on so she wants to eliminate one thing she’s washing. If you can’t help than just be quiet. No one needs more nastiness especially from someone anonymous for no reason. There is nothing personal in your answer only nastiness.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:15 pm
I think for SIDS reasons they say not to put the baby directly on to the matress. Something to do with the matress emitting harmful gasses.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:17 pm
If its a boy and he's leaking from the front his pen-s is probably not pointed down when you close the diaper.

While I have in some extreme cases put my baby to sleep straight on the mattress I would absolutely not recommend it as a daily thing.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:18 pm
I have a waterproof sheet that I have under the regular sheet. I have one on all my kids beds. Then I have a regular sheet on top. It's great. The mattress never gets stained or wet. I have more than one per bed, so if the child dirties one, then I can switch it out that day and wash the other.
I also used for a while disposable waterproof bed sheets. If a child throws up or wets the bed, you just chuck it out.

Stars

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby looks comfortable, he’s not sweating. And the mattress is getting dirty either way, the sheet doesn’t keep it clean.

Then you should be using a protector under the sheet. The mattress should be staying clean because you don;t wanna be buying new ones every few months.

lucky14

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:23 pm
Change his diaper in the middle of the night. Two times even if you have to. Have you tried doing that? For some babies it's just necessary.

mommybrr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:26 pm
I personally would use a sheet.
FYI- These are amazing for kids that leak thru everything.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:18 am
My baby leaked every night in every brand diaper until I figured out that he needs 2 diapers at night! I put one on top of the other and he doesn't leak anymore and the outside diaper stays dry too so I just use that one in the morning when I take off the inside diaper.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:31 am
Use a waterproof mattress protector under the sheet. If he keeps peeing on the mattress it's going to smell and get gross fast. When my LO soaks through I have to change both sheet and mattress protector but it keeps the mattress clean. I just have a few sets.

I have also heard of making the bed with 4 layers--mattress protector, sheet, protector, sheet. Then when there's a leak you don't have to put new sheets on-- just peel off the first 2 layers.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:57 am
easier to keep it clean and hygienic with sheets/waterproof all things washable which a mattress is not really

Snickers18

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can buy diaper inserts. That should help. Also, you can keep mattress clean by having a crib mattress protector underneath the fitted sheet. I have a few of each, and yes, they often need to be switched daily, but at least I don’t have to do the wash daily.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics