Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Old Lakewood memories...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:32 pm
Anyone else used to rent a “monitor” from Zeilingold to watch home videos?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Who remembers the hermits house by the forest near Bais faiga? He was petrifying! That wasn’t even so long ago...
Mrs. Weiners carpool anyone?

Oh yes, I remember that hermit. He would come out sometimes with long white hair. Almost like from a spooky story and we would let our imaginations run wild with ideas...
Now that whole forest is knocked down and replaced by Bais Anya.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:33 pm
malki2 wrote:
I obviously don’t remember these, but there was a time when:
Moving across Rt. 9 was considered far out.
Squankum was a 1-lane road.
Before this:
Moving past 10th st was considered far out.
Before this:
Forest road was unpaved.

One thing which I do remember was when a builder built himself a nice house (probably 4000 square feet) on Carey St. and it was the largest house in Lakewood.

Someone told DH that he was driving R Aharon ZTL down 7th st. and remarked that IYH one day all of these (small) houses would be occupied by Yungerleit. Rav Aharon got unsaid and said, “Chas Veshalom that Yungerleit should live with such gashmiyus!”

R’ Aharon must be rolling over in his grave right now...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
R’ Aharon must be rolling over in his grave right now...

Actually I heard that R' Aharon once came in a dream to someone recently and told him not to leave Lakewood...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:41 pm
Well, I stayed in the fox- Lieberman hotel in the 80’s.. I still remember the nice frum woman cooking food in the kitchen - she must have been one of the owners.
And I went to sleep away camp with a rosansky, a Keller and later a Tillim girl. That’s what I thought Lakewood was made of before I moved here.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Well, I stayed in the fox- Lieberman hotel in the 80’s.. I still remember the nice frum woman cooking food in the kitchen - she must have been one of the owners.
And I went to sleep away camp with a rosansky, a Keller and later a Tillim girl. That’s what I thought Lakewood was made of before I moved here.

That is who it was made of back in the day Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

yup, the good old days. Probably Kellner. Sori Kellner now King.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Forgot a few Lakewood icons (including my fam) but yes, pretty much lol

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yup, the original BF building is 30 years old. The other buildings are much newer...

That's all? I remember being in a newish building in Primary 30 years ago. Was it really just built then? I don't remember... I was only 5 years old!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
That's all? I remember being in a newish building in Primary 30 years ago. Was it really just built then? I don't remember... I was only 5 years old!

To be exact, it was built for Sept 1988. I guess that's 33 yrs already... Wow, we're old!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:04 pm
malki2 wrote:
OMG I remember her! She was a panic!

Drop stop lady was Kathy! We used to develop our film there. Kids will never know the excitement of picking up developed film and looking at the pics

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They say Cleveland is now the new old Lakewood...

Nah. Not judging by this thread. Unless you mean lack of good shopping options.

Scotty

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:39 pm
EVELYN!!

Oh I always felt so awful about that later. She was such a kind person and a caring bus driver - I will never forget how I once got put on the wrong bus in first grade and was driven all around town because no one knew where to drop me off (cellphones hadn't been invented yet remember) and my driver at last went to the cheder (THE CHEDDAR!!! remember that??) and tried calling her supervisor to decide what to do with us and Evelyn came up and cheerfully said she knew where we lived (a street off Case off 14th street!) and coaxed us sobbing kids onto her bus and back home. Even all these years later I cannot imagine how she dealt with the horror and trauma of inadvertently killing a child. I've thought about it a lot actually. Even as a young kid I thought she would go crazy - she had a good heart.

That was such a terrible day. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about that poor yingele. Afterward they put all the 'arms' on the busses.

Scotty

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:40 pm
Also who remembers Mrs. Schwartz making liver in an enormous bowl in R&S Thursday nights

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:43 pm
How about Mirel the crossing guard.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:48 pm
Who remembers the ‘new wing’ in Bais faiga where mrs uhrs office was? And coloring on the wall in there...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Forgot a few Lakewood icons (including my fam) but yes, pretty much lol

Who am I forgetting? The Epstein girls maybe?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Who am I forgetting? The Epstein girls maybe?

Schreibers, Baumans, Bursztyns and us lol

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
How about Mirel the crossing guard.

Omg I think I remember her vaguely...was she very old? And wore a navy blue skirt?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh those cheder malls in the cheder dining room! Actually almost all occasions happened in either cheder dining room or Capitol Hotel! Such as school melava malka's, chanukah chagiga's etc.
The Capitol Hotel! What an old Lakewood icon, now replaced by the fancy Prime Apts.

and later, everything was in Bais Faiga.
I remember the annual BMG tea when I first got married....weeks before, I would sign up to make something. It was all homemade, simple and nice and fun to go with friends. I wish events were still like that today.
I still have a painting that hangs over my couch, that I won at one of those teas.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics