Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking for 9, one small oven - how?

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:36 pm
I'm cooking for 9 people this Shabbat, so I'm going to need to do a lot of it in advance. What freezes well? Can I cook chicken bottoms, freeze them in the pan, and then reheat them? What about challah? Potatoes?

Recipes and ideas all welcome

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:45 pm
Yes to all of the above.
Donโ€™t freeze salads or fresh fruit desserts. You can freeze hummus, most baked goods, kugels, and soups. Rice kugel gets soggy if frozen.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:56 pm
Rappel wrote:
I'm cooking for 9 people this Shabbat, so I'm going to need to do a lot of it in advance. What freezes well? Can I cook chicken bottoms, freeze them in the pan, and then reheat them? What about challah? Potatoes?

Recipes and ideas all welcome

Challah freezes well. Farfel does too. Potato kugel if you add a cup of water on top when rebaking.
The chicken should be done fresh if possible. Find a freezable side dish instead of roasted potatoes.

Reality

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:57 pm
Challah and cake/cookies freezes well. So does chicken soup.

Don't freeze any vegetable kugels. They will get soggy.

A lot of people freeze potato kugel. I personally don't.

Many people can taste the difference between fresh chicken and frozen chicken. Depends if you care or not.

Maybe share your menu and then we could haveva better idea what can be made in advance?

Hatzlacha!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:00 pm
What about splitting and doing things on the stove? Chicken, rice, all of these can be done on the stove and not using the oven.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:08 pm
I think you can refrigerate the chicken if you make it tomorrow.

Easy potato recipe - buy red potatoes, cut them into large chunks in aluminium pan, put 1/3 cup of oil and a packet of onion soup mix, drizzle over the potatoes, bake at 350 for an hour and a half.

Think easy, cook in disposable pans.

Soup can be chicken soup or zucchini soup, both yield a lot.

If you need an appetiser for Friday night then meatballs and rice is cheaper than gefilte fish or salmon, if cost is an issue.

Veggie can be a bag of frozen broccoli put onto a baking sheet, put some garlic powder and spray with Pam, cook for around an hour at 350.

This is not rocket science!

Another tip from my friend who has 9 kids - make a big pot of hard boiled eggs. Itโ€™s a cheap and easy protein for Seudah shlishis and also if needed as a snack.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics