Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What computer skills can I learn fast and how?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:45 pm
I have very basic computer literacy-internet, word, etc.
It seems that it is considered for almost all computer jobs today that you need to know excel (and I am not sure what else)?
Can you tell me what programs would be most worthwhile for me to learn to make myself more computer literate for basic computer based jobs? And I know there are different programs, methods, tutorials out there-what is a good user friendly way to learn the recommended programs properly? Di anyone do this and then it really helped you secure a job?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:46 pm
If you’re looking for an office job, you should look for training in the basic Microsoft office suite. See if your local college has a class or if your library has a class

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:39 pm
Was looking more for specific online course or tutorials and which programs would be most useful to learn in terms of general employment and what fields/jobs people think they could open doors to for me?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:41 pm
Try Khan Academy.

Success10

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:51 pm
Are you good with numbers? Quickbooks is a big plus. I don't think you have to be a certified accountant to use it. It's a bookkeeping software.

Linkedin has a courses site. A friend of mine learned some web design that way.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was looking more for specific online course or tutorials and which programs would be most useful to learn in terms of general employment and what fields/jobs people think they could open doors to for me?

Learn design programs if you want to go into graphics (adobe, photoshop)
Learn financial software if you want to go into bookkeeping (quickbooks, rent manager)
Learn advance spreadsheets (excel) if you want to go into finance.
Learn software made for medical offices if you want to go into medical billing.

It’s hard to give you specific classes if you don’t know what you want to do. It’s like saying what school should I go to for a graduate degree? Well do you want to be a physical therapist? Or do you want an MBA?

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:34 pm
Are you talking about office admin? I agree word, excel, maybe powerpoint programs, etc are what you want. I am sure if you google there are plenty of online courses for this type of thing.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:58 pm
Udemy has great webinars, relatively low price points. You can watch previews to see if the specific webinar you're looking at is taught in a style that works for you.

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:09 pm
For office management, QuickBooks is an almost universal requirement. Other than that, the Microsoft suite, and the ability to type and to draft an official letter are all key.

If you want something in the graphic design/animation category, then study the Adobe suite, and understand what different files mean and how your images translate into printed form.

Programming -- you need programming languages, and you need to understand logic structures. A proper course or textbook is really helpful for your first language. Advanced algebra and calculus (including matrix math) is a HUGE plus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics