Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Dental X-Ray for sensory kid
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:23 pm
My 4 year old has some serious cavities, but we cannot get him to cooperate for an X-ray. Are there any dentists around her that can handle this?

Or is there any place around here that does the panoramic x-ray where the patient just stands still and the machine goes around their head and takes it all in one shot? Or that would let me stand near him while they do the X-ray?

My dentist wants to put him under general anesthesia and fix cavities anywhere from 8 to ALL 20 TEETH! She can't tell me in advance what work she will do without xrays. I don't feel comfortable with this at all.

I only have medicaid insurance, but at this point I am willing to pay for an amazing dentist at least just to have a look...

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:25 pm
Dental xrays shouldn't cost more than $100-$300 depending on how many or which. All orthodontists have panoramic, as well as oral surgeons. Have you tried laughing gas?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:42 pm
Hi OP
why are you uncomfortable with sedation? I was very nervous about it too for my 7 year old but it really was the best option. They got clear, complete x-rays and wound up fixing all 11 cavities (they thought she only had 8). There was minimal discomfort after the procedure, it was much harder for me than her!

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Hi OP
why are you uncomfortable with sedation? I was very nervous about it too for my 7 year old but it really was the best option. They got clear, complete x-rays and wound up fixing all 11 cavities (they thought she only had 8). There was minimal discomfort after the procedure, it was much harder for me than her!

I think she means she wants to go into the procedure with a better idea of what needs to be fixed rather than blindly going in and not knowing if it is 8,10,15 or 20 cavities. The thing is, even if you go in thinking it is 8 or knowing it is 11, wouldn't you choose to fix as much as possible, especially with a dentist difficult toddler? I think you need to make sure your dentist is reliable, honest and fair and go from there. If the dentist is honest, then you'll be able to trust that s/he is going to do right by you and your child.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:20 pm
Be leery if they take medicaid. They need to do a lot of work to make some money so if you give them free reign....
First, go to a private pediatric dentist for a second opinion. Try Dr. Frederick Paperth. He doesn't do sedation but he's great with kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 11:38 pm
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Dr. Frederick Paperth.

Yes NCHR, you are right. I don't completely trust this dentist, so I'm not going to send him into the "operation" without knowing what I'm concenting to. That's why I want a dentist who is both trustworthy, and good with sensative / ASD kids.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Oct 08 2020, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 11:42 pm
Dr Jay is the best pediatric dentist in the Lakewood area. Highly recommend.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 12:08 am
hi is his full name dr. jay?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 12:16 am
If the child has so many cavities it’s really hard for them to sit so long.. I put my child in same situation & same age under sedation it was the only way! They capped all the teeth so that she never got cavities on them. Now she’s nine & those caps are falling out with her teeth as they fall out. Otherwise you will need to torture the child a bunch of times as usually they do 1 or 2 teeth a visit.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Dr Jay is the best pediatric dentist in the Lakewood area. Highly recommend.

is that his full name? does anyone know? please I have asd child and im looking for someone thats good with sensory anxious children

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 12:42 am
Dr semah of brick piadtric dentistry is beyond amazing. My kids had insane dental anxiety From another dentist in Lakewood and he works magic. And no he unfortunately he doesn’t take Medicaid. First few years I paid out of pocket. Now I got dental insurance.

emi1812

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 9:07 pm
The practice of Dr Eyal Simchi+Dr Cohen does panorama x-rays. My son is also super sensory/anxious and very defensive of things going near ot in his mouth (causes him to gag/throw up). The regular x-ray made him throw up so they quickly cleaned him off, comforted him, and did a panorama x-ray. They were absolutely AMAZING with the way they handled the situation and they truly understand how to handle sensory/anxious kids and make them feel calm & at ease! They don’t take insurance but they are seriously worth EVERY single penny!

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:22 pm
bump

Dr Jay is the best pediatric dentist in the Lakewood area.

is that his full name? does anyone know? please I have asd child and im looking for someone thats good with sensory anxious children

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:31 pm
emi1812 wrote:
The practice of Dr Eyal Simchi+Dr Cohen does panorama x-rays. My son is also super sensory/anxious and very defensive of things going near ot in his mouth (causes him to gag/throw up). The regular x-ray made him throw up so they quickly cleaned him off, comforted him, and did a panorama x-ray. They were absolutely AMAZING with the way they handled the situation and they truly understand how to handle sensory/anxious kids and make them feel calm & at ease! They don’t take insurance but they are seriously worth EVERY single penny!

My kids go there, they take insurance. Maybe they don’t take Medicaid?

mommybrr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
bump

Dr Jay is the best pediatric dentist in the Lakewood area.

Dr Jay Felsenstein- kids dental care in Howell, NJ
http://www.kdkinhowell.com/

He is a great dentist but expensive and does not accept jerseycare. Consider yourself warned.
He has very detailed info about his charging policies on his website.

Would you consider Dr Shermans group? Shore Childrens Dental Care
They have offices in Avon and Manasquan and accept Jersey Care. I have not personally taken a sensory child but I know they specialize in special needs dental care. I have one kids who is generally uncooperative and the dentists have been really gentle and managed to treat him with just laughing gas. I recommend seeing one of the younger dentists since most of them are more patient. I had one dentist sing throughout the entire visit to help keep a kid calm. If you do book with them, tell them your concerns and ask who they recommend for your child.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:05 pm
Thank you everyone whos responded. I havent figured out what I am doing quite yet.

mommybrr wrote:
Dr Jay Felsenstein- kids dental care in Howell, NJ
http://www.kdkinhowell.com/

He is a great dentist but expensive and does not accept jerseycare. Consider yourself warned.
He has very detailed info about his charging policies on his website.

Would you consider Dr Shermans group? Shore Childrens Dental Care
They have offices in Avon and Manasquan and accept Jersey Care. I have not personally taken a sensory child but I know they specialize in special needs dental care. I have one kids who is generally uncooperative and the dentists have been really gentle and managed to treat him with just laughing gas. I recommend seeing one of the younger dentists since most of them are more patient. I had one dentist sing throughout the entire visit to help keep a kid calm. If you do book with them, tell them your concerns and ask who they recommend for your child.

Do you have a recommendation for which of the younger dentists?

Also I got scared of shore dental because of some of the reviews here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....58017

mommybrr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:12 pm
I have not experienced what the posters on the other thread mentioned regarding treating problems that don't exist. Maybe speak to people IRL that send there and see what they say. After being traumatized with the way my son was treated in another practice, I have been very happy here for the last 6 years. The only thing that I thought was dishonest was a "difficult patient management fee" that has been added to my account every time I visit with my difficult child. It may have been justified the first visit, but not subsequent visits where he cooperated. I have Jersey Care so I didn't pay the bill and didn't feel like making an issue about it. I have been happy with Dr. Bini, Dr. Jocelyn and Dr. Jason.

emi1812

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My kids go there, they take insurance. Maybe they don’t take Medicaid?

They don’t take a lot of insurances, and they definitely don’t take Medicaid.

emi1812

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:11 pm
mommybrr wrote:
I have not experienced what the posters on the other thread mentioned regarding treating problems that don't exist. Maybe speak to people IRL that send there and see what they say. After being traumatized with the way my son was treated in another practice, I have been very happy here for the last 6 years. The only thing that I thought was dishonest was a "difficult patient management fee" that has been added to my account every time I visit with my difficult child. It may have been justified the first visit, but not subsequent visits where he cooperated. I have Jersey Care so I didn't pay the bill and didn't feel like making an issue about it. I have been happy with Dr. Bini, Dr. Jocelyn and Dr. Jason.

I send one child to Shore Dental because that child is a perfect angel patient, and my other to Dr. Simchi’s practice because that child is super sensory and not so cooperative with dr visits. Shore Dental doesn’t have the patience to handle children like my sensory one and they will use physical restraints (like a “papoose,” aka straight jacket) or chemical restraints (such as insisting on knocking difficult kids out for a routine cleaning or a filling). Dr Simchi’s practice doesn’t even OWN a papoose. If a dental practice owns a papoose aka straight jacket restraint, that should tell you everything you need to know about how they manage challenging patients. 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:18 pm
Bump.

Does anybody have more advice? None of the these options discussed panned out Pale
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries