Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Just wake the kid up! (S/O leaving 15 min)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:14 pm
Many posters on the recent threads about leaving toddlers home on a monitor have said that the mother should get a babysitter. Of course that is a good suggestion and I completely agree it is crazy to leave babies/toddlers sleeping alone at home.

I am just surprised that (almost) no one said to just wake the toddler up and take him along. Does everyone run their life around their babies'/toddlers' sleep to that extent? When my kids were little and I needed to go somewhere I just woke them if they were sleeping. Or I arranged their nap time that day around where ever I needed to go. Nothing serious will happen if a toddler naps at a different time than usual or gets a shorter nap or goes to sleep a little later or (gasp!) misses a nap. Am I the only one who thinks like this??

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:15 pm
It's hard to wake a kid up. And I feel terrible to ruin thei finally achieved slumber.
It's easier for me to reschedule or find a babysitter or ask Dh to be home.

yksraya

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:19 pm
I would only wake a baby if it's an emergency. Or during the day, if baby has napped long enough. Otherwise, I would either not go, or arrange the schedule to go when baby can come along, or when someone can babysit, or dh is home etc.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:30 pm
I used to do it once in a while when I had just one kid. Transfer from crib to the stroller. But I usually regretted it because she wouldn't go back to sleep till really late at night and she'd be cranky the next day. I only did it very seldom if I had no other choice.

mig100

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:32 pm
I wouldn't wake the toddler up unless it was very very important. It's usually not worth it.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:35 pm
I don't know how you manage to nap a kid at another time... I can barely nap a kid at their "regular" time.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:35 pm
“Just wake the toddler” Means dealing with a cranky kid that doesn’t appreciate you ruining her little nap.

I put the kid to nap in the carriage so I can take the kid without waking him.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:41 pm
I agree with everyone, but if you have children to pick up from school, there aren't babysitters available midday. I have woken kids up to drive a carpool many times and yes, the child was cranky. But what other choice is there?

mizle10

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:44 pm
I believe the original post was about someone leaving her toddler in the evening when he was already sleeping for the night. No way am I waking that kid up!!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:44 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
I agree with everyone, but if you have children to pick up from school, there aren't babysitters available midday. I have woken kids up to drive a carpool many times and yes, the child was cranky. But what other choice is there?

If I know I'll need to go out during nap time, I put the baby to sleep in the stroller or carseat.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:45 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

Exactly. This is what I meant by my OP.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:46 pm
Whenever I did it, I regretted it BIG time.

Especially messing with their night sleep, not worth it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:53 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I believe the original post was about someone leaving her toddler in the evening when he was already sleeping for the night. No way am I waking that kid up!!

Oh, I was thinking that original post was that her toddler was napping and unexpectedly the nap overlapped with her appointment and she was stuck at the last minute so wanted to go with the monitor option. It wouldn't have occurred to me that someone would actually schedule an appointment knowing that it would be after bedtime. But I guess for people who think leaving a sleeping toddler with a monitor is an acceptable thing to do that would be what they do.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:57 pm
OP isn't saying that people should wake the kid without thought, or that it's easy. Just that if there's no sitter, and you must go out, and dh can't be home, it's the natural step.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:57 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If I know I'll need to go out during nap time, I put the baby to sleep in the stroller or carseat.

Yes, that's another option. Of course this, or waking a baby/toddler, is not ideal at all, but as cozyblanket said there isn't always another option. In my world finding a babysitter midday when picking up other kids for school or other urgent matters is more of a challenge than dealing with a tired baby/toddler (not that that's easy of course).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:03 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
OP isn't saying that people should wake the kid without thought, or that it's easy. Just that if there's no sitter, and you must go out, and dh can't be home, it's the natural step.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for getting my point Smile

Like if the sheitel appointment (or whatever else) is urgent enough that it would make one consider leaving her child alone, then certainly it should be urgent enough to be willing to wake your child and deal with his crankiness.

nchr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:44 pm
It's assur to wake someone up. We never wake up sleeping people, for anything. I'm also careful about this in the mornings too and so far my kids wake themselves up but one kid seems to have a hard time and I'm looking into special lighting for his room.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:53 pm
nchr wrote:
It's assur to wake someone up. We never wake up sleeping people, for anything. I'm also careful about this in the mornings too and so far my kids wake themselves up but one kid seems to have a hard time and I'm looking into special lighting for his room.

I heard this concept before. Can’t remember who it was, a popular gadol that never allowed to wake a child.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:55 pm
That said, if there’s absolutely no choice and the mom needs to leave it’s pretty obvious that you rather wake a child than leave him. Pikuach nefesh comes first.

mfb

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:04 am
nchr wrote:

If this is the case I have some that would never be on time to school
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics