Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any Sima’s out there? What pasuk to say?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 5:57 pm
We haven’t found an appropriate pasuk for Sima to say at the end of shemona esrai. (Yes, we’ve looked at the list). We spell it samach yud mem aleph.

Please tell me what you say if your name is Sima
Thanks

Maybe there’s a more extensive list?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 5:59 pm
Me!!!! I don’t know anyone else who spells it with an aleph! There’s no passuk Sad
I say my passuk for my second name.

artz

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 6:19 pm
My sisters name is Sima and for a while they couldnt find it. Once during Slichus my father notice that the Samach and the "Sin" are interchangeable. שמח נפש עבדך כי אליך ה נפשי אשא

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 6:33 pm
My daughter is סימא. She’s 5, so I haven’t looked into it yet. I’m definitely following though. I’m so heartened that I’m not the only weirdo who spells it with an aleph.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 6:36 pm
I was told this for a name that doesn't have one pasuk that fits both the first and last letters: say 2 pesukim, one that starts with the first letter, and the other that ends with the second letter.
It was so exciting to choose my new pasuk. I got my first one that didn't quite fit from my sixth grade teacher but this was like choosing my own name, and mission statement.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:29 pm
Following. My daughter spells it with an aleph though the one she was named for spelled with a hei. Haven’t found an answer yet either.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:58 pm
Wow thank you everyone! So helpful!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:12 am
artz wrote:
My sisters name is Sima and for a while they couldnt find it. Once during Slichus my father notice that the Samach and the "Sin" are interchangeable. שמח נפש עבדך כי אליך ה נפשי אשא

This. My daughter is סאשא and we were told that sin and samach are interchangeable and to say this passuk

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:36 am
Another sima with a alef at the end here and in embarrassed to say I never said the possuk at davening

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:30 am
I also spell with an alef at the end (it's the only accurate way btw since it's an aramaic word). I had an identity crisis in high school when we had to do a project about our name passuk and I had none.
My Rav said you can also do a pasuk that has your name in it, since the idea is to remind yourself after 120 of your Jewish name.
He found me a pasuk somewhere towards the end of Sefer devarim that talks about writing a Sefer Torah. There is also a song about it sung by YBC. "V'ata kisvu lachem es haShira hazos v'lamda es bnei yisrael SEEMA bifihem...." (The word is spelled differently in the pasuk than our name, and has a totally different meaning too, but since it sounds like our name I was told that's a strong hint, - perhaps even stronger than a pasuk begining and ending with the correct letters...)

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:53 am
Yes, I have one for you. Please PM me if I don't respond today or tomorrow.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I also spell with an alef at the end (it's the only accurate way btw since it's an aramaic word).

The person my daughter is named after also spelled her name with an א. She had teachers (and her principal) who insisted she spelled her name wrong and wouldn’t accept her work until she spelled it the right way.

No one insists my daughter spells her name wrong, but typically I fill out the school sheet indicating how we spell her name. They in turn spell it with a ה anyway, and it remains so until I get annoyed enough to correct it. Usually first I will passive aggressively send mitzvah notes to school with her name spelled correctly.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:06 am
Samuch libo lo yira

Tehilim 112/8

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:20 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The person my daughter is named after also spelled her name with an א. She had teachers (and her principal) who insisted she spelled her name wrong and wouldn’t accept her work until she spelled it the right way.

No one insists my daughter spells her name wrong, but typically I fill out the school sheet indicating how we spell her name. They in turn spell it with a ה anyway, and it remains so until I get annoyed enough to correct it. Usually first I will passive aggressively send mitzvah notes to school with her name spelled correctly.

Alef is the way it’s spelled in Aramaic. It is most definitely correct. It’s a very old name.

Heh could be a different name, Yiddish spelling. Not saying it’s not also a correct spelling, just saying the burden of proof is on the teachers and principals.

Spinoff: what other incorrect things do you suppose they were insisting on. I would laugh but it’s not really funny.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics