Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Jewish Songs with Crazy Lyrics
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:38 pm
kenz wrote:
I think most of Country Yossi is utter nonsense, but clearly he fills (or filled) some sort of niche in the frum community.

My mum (BT) always loved these spin-off songs, so she could sing the Jewish lyrics when she thought of her old jams.

Now that I don't listen to non-Jewish music, I wish someone would "kasher" Daughtry. Smile Some things are just good, and you want to be able to appreciate them without hurting your soul. I still sing them to myself, because they were always prayers for me. But it would be nice to be able to hear it again, in some explicit shevach Hashem form.

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:41 pm
malki2 wrote:
I recall a Shlock Rock song about a guy who learned a bunch of different Masechtos. Then one day I heard the non jewish song about a guy who had a little bit of this girlfriend, a little bit of this one, the other one all night long etc. I thought it was disgusting to use such a song to talk about learning Gemara.

Wasn't that Masechta number 5 by Variations? Or did Schlock Rock do the same?

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:44 pm
yamaha wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMEYQucASs
One of my favorites of all time - it's a pop song to the colors of tzoraas in the Torah.

My favorite too. I couldn’t stop laughing when I first saw it. This is one of the songs that can sing in my head for days unprompted. I only saw it once.
I think the point of this whole thing is to point out how some of today’s Jewish songs either say nothing, or have lyrics that don’t match the tune. Forget about music videos. Oy.

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:46 pm
cbsp wrote:
Wasn't that Masechta number 5 by Variations? Or did Schlock Rock do the same?

Sorry, it was Variations. And the non-Jewish one was Mambo number 5.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:11 pm
“How to make Jewish music today”

The problem is my kids love this song now...

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:29 pm
I love "Deaf Man in the Shtiebel," and usually cry. But afterwards I tend to think that if the rav didn't know about the death yet, there was likely no levayah yet. Which makes the chazzan an onen who can't daven for the amud.

In other news, Gabbai in the Shul is a take off of Master of the House, which horrifies me. What's worse is when bais yaakov plays write their own words to songs that are already parodies; There are plenty of people in the audience who know the original words (and often teachers too), and it pulls you out. My local school used this song and all I could do was stare.

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:55 pm
sky wrote:

That’s about it. And also buy the song. Don’t need the talent to make it up yourself. Just a decent voice and maybe know how to move a little. Oy!

bigsis144

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:58 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I love "Deaf Man in the Shtiebel," and usually cry. But afterwards I tend to think that if the rav didn't know about the death yet, there was likely no levayah yet. Which makes the chazzan an onen who can't daven for the amud.

In other news, Gabbai in the Shul is a take off of Master of the House, which horrifies me. What's worse is when bais yaakov plays write their own words to songs that are already parodies; There are plenty of people in the audience who know the original words (and often teachers too), and it pulls you out. My local school used this song and all I could do was stare.

Shlock Rock has never pretended to be anything other than parody, and I appreciate that so so much.
I heard an interview with Lenny Solomon on Rabbi Dovid Orlofsky’s podcast, and it further cemented how Lenny is really a very learned and ehrliche guy, as well as legitimately musically skilled.

I don’t think Shlock Rock markets itself to a frum audience - they are really going for the NCSY and Traditional crowd. (My mother is a BT and I grew up with this as her “kosher substitute” for the songs she knew; my aunt’s conservative temple flew Lenny Solomon out every few years, and he performed at my cousin’s bar mitzvah!) They’re not trying to sneak secular influences in — they’re mostly taking people already familiar with the originals and using it to teach Jewish concepts. (They did a parody called “Amen” of the JJ Cole song “Cocaine”, for goodness sakes!)

The Gabbai of the Shul parody is from a Broadway-specific parody album. Skipping a chance for a Les Mis reference would leave a barricade-sized hole 😉

I understand your sensitivity to the original material, though. I really do.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:05 pm
Rappel wrote:
My mum (BT) always loved these spin-off songs, so she could sing the Jewish lyrics when she thought of her old jams.

Now that I don't listen to non-Jewish music, I wish someone would "kasher" Daughtry. Smile Some things are just good, and you want to be able to appreciate them without hurting your soul. I still sing them to myself, because they were always prayers for me. But it would be nice to be able to hear it again, in some explicit shevach Hashem form.

Yes!! Agreed about Daughtry songs.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:07 pm
malki2 wrote:
Sorry, it was Variations. And the non-Jewish one was Mambo number 5.

When I was a teen, my family went to a rollerblading rink and this song came on (the original). My dad with long beard and peyos started singing along quietly (singing the Jewish version). I was horrified that it looked like my dad was jamming to this particular song. I told him he might want to skip this one.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:13 pm
sky wrote:

This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. There are tears in my eyes. Thank you.

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:51 pm
naomi2 wrote:
you should listen to them as an adult , I recently did and am surprised how inspiring alot of his songs are.

Really? Can you suggest a few?

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:58 pm
malki2 wrote:
Yes, I actually find many of them inspiring. I especially love “the Rabbi” (based on “the Gambler” which is also a deep song). You can’t argue that the man is not talented.

I’m absolutely not trying to disparage Country Yossi. As I said, he definitely has a place in the frum world. And I too always loved The Rabbi - I sang every word while knowing very little Yiddish - but I do remember much of it being really silly. Lukshen kugel eater, etc.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 5:02 pm
I loved country yossi when I was growing up.

During the first lock down in March, I introduced kivi and tuki to my kids. They loved it immediately.

One day my almost 3 yo son was mad at me, so he said "I'm gonna bop you in the lochenkup". I was like, whoa, where did he learn that? Then I realized. Tuki and country yossi have a crazy relationship. Tuki is so chutzpahdik!

Oh well. Still love it!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 5:11 pm
I feel like my kids are missing out by not growing up listening to Country Yossi. I loved his CDs (and tapes Very Happy )

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I loved country yossi when I was growing up.

During the first lock down in March, I introduced kivi and tuki to my kids. They loved it immediately.

One day my almost 3 yo son was mad at me, so he said "I'm gonna bop you in the lochenkup". I was like, whoa, where did he learn that? Then I realized. Tuki and country yossi have a crazy relationship. Tuki is so chutzpahdik!

Oh well. Still love it!

I remember when I had the epiphany that Kivi and Tuki vs Country Yossi = basically Alvin and the Chipmunks vs Dave

Small singing mischievous non-human children with artificially high pitch-augmented voices
and
Their ever-beleaguered human male caretaker

sky

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I feel like my kids are missing out by not growing up listening to Country Yossi. I loved his CDs (and tapes Very Happy )

You can find it on Jewish music.fm app
We listen to kivi and tuki and country Yossi greatest hits
It’s very buggy but works

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:58 am
malki2 wrote:
I recall a Shlock Rock song about a guy who learned a bunch of different Masechtos. Then one day I heard the non jewish song about a guy who had a little bit of this girlfriend, a little bit of this one, the other one all night long etc. I thought it was disgusting to use such a song to talk about learning Gemara.
Unfortunately there are so many frum songs that have original non jewish songs that are down right awful.
Its unfortunately the way of jewish music.
I really think that many jewish singers hope or think that their listening crowd just dont even know the original songs so they dont take notice of how awful some of the songs are.

sajappel

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Google The Beatles' Little Girl, and Getting Better for some Surprised lyrics.

Yes, how did anyone let Run for Your Life onto a record? That teenyboppers memorized? John was a mess. And yes, Getting Better is bad too -- though not as bad.

"I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man
You'd better keep your head little girl or you won't know where I am ...."
And I'm doing this from memory.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:03 am
" Cool Now that I don't listen to non-Jewish music, I wish someone would "kasher" Daughtry. "

Can you do it?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics