Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Chesed Fund Donations

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:57 pm
I donate when I can, but I have a question. When YWN posts a story and then to donate, I do. I noticed when I donated that they ask for the amount of $25,000.
Moving on, a few days later YWN posts the same story. So I press on it again to donate, and this time I see they raised the price to $55,000.
My question is do they raise the goal bc they need it or bc they see they can get more?

I’m sorry if I come out rude, I donate anyway bc Baruch Hashem we should never know and always be on the giving end, but I just want to understand.

TIA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:09 pm
Bump

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:46 pm
I think it’s because they don’t want to ask for too much at first. So they set the goal lower and if they meet the goal they’ll raise it.
You certainly don’t have to keep giving. I’m sure they can use the money but if you have a cause that you feel needs it more you can give to them instead.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:05 pm
Give according to your conscience, values, and means. You're free to give where, when, how much and to whom you like without being swayed by any entity's 'goals' or 'suggestions.' I just love (not) the letters saying "Last year you generously gave $X; this year, the need is greater still, won't you consider giving $2X?" Or the ones with boxes to check off your donation, and they start at $500 going up to $10K.

The ones I hate the most, though, are the ones where the computer inserts your name every few sentences. Dear Mr. & Mrs. Amother, as you know, we blablabla. Mr. & Mrs. Amother, we appreciate your generous support blablabla. Mr. & Mrs.. Amother, the need is even greater blablabla. Mr. & Mrs. Amother, we depend on the generosity of blablabla. Mr. & Mrs. Amother won't you consider blablabla. Mr. & Mrs. Amother, we thank you in advance blablabla.

Like the more times you insert our name the more we're going to give because you've created such a warm personal relationship with us? We also read the business advice column that recommended repeating a prospect's name several times in the course of a conversation to give the impression that you're deeply interested in them as a person. But all you've done is create a document we now have to shred instead of just recycling. And we use a computer, too, we know you didn't sit there typing in this very personal letter just for us. You didn't even compose the letter--you used a standard fundraising letter program and merged it with a mailing list that automatically inserts names in the appropriate fields in the document. So knock it off. "Dear Friend and Supporter of Yeshiva Cholem Hachalomos" or just "Dear Friend" works for us.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:53 pm
Interesting...thank you

Abi6

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:14 pm
Tzedakah orginizations are professional marketers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics