Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Yet another spinoff... at what age is it safe to...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:01 pm
As per request, starting a spin-off of all the toddler threads. Thankfully most of us agree that these threads are out there and many are even questioning their credibility. But at what age is it safe for children to do things on their own?
Bathe, be left alone, cook, etc...
Maybe it will be helpful as a reference for posters who want to stay safe but don’t seem to have the awareness of what/when is considered safe.

Java

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As per request, starting a spin-off of all the toddler threads. Thankfully most of us agree that these threads are out there and many are even questioning their credibility. But at what age is it safe for children to do things on their own?
Bathe, be left alone, cook, etc...
Maybe it will be helpful as a reference for posters who want to stay safe but don’t seem to have the awareness of what/when is considered safe.

A good idea that I heard for bathing is to have them sing a song or keep talking to you so you know they're ok because you can hear them. So I guess that would be like age 4/5+
Be left alone: depends on the maturity of the child but definitely not before age 11.
Cooking- depends what we're talking about. a 8-9 year old can make toast but I wouldn't let a child deal with anything involving a flame, oven or sharp knives before 11-12

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:12 pm
The problem is that it depends on the child in question.

I have had a 3-year old that was perfectly capable of peeling a fruit with a peeler herself, and others that I wouldn't trust with a plastic knife.

I have had a 7-year old that was responsible enough to walk around the block on her own, and a 9-year old who was not.

I have had a 5-year old who could take a bath on her own, and others that couldn't do so until at least 6.

But here's some current guidelines:

My 10-year old is allowed to use sharp knives or bake, or walk a few blocks alone (I usually require taking a phone). They often ask me to take things out of the oven because they are uncomfortable, but I'm fine with them doing it.

I don't allow kids to carry a baby on stairs until age 12 or so. 12 year olds can also cook on stovetop alone.

gilamom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:28 pm
There is no set age, every child is different and only you as a parent can answer if they're responsible or mature enough to do certain things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics