Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/o what are u baking this week?

lovepinterest

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:30 pm
The poll about whether or not u bake got me thinking. What are u baking this week? Looking for ideas. I was thinking crinkle cookies, sprinkle cookies cuz of parshas noach, some sort of biscotti.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:33 pm
Apple pie with the leftover pie dough from last week, cinnamon buns from some extra challa dough, almond flour brownies from a mix

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:46 pm
https://betweencarpools.com/th.....icks/
yum and super quick and easy

serenity8843

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:59 pm
Brownies with mini (Parve Jewish brand) Oreo pieces served with ice cream

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:39 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
https://betweencarpools.com/the-9x13-life-chocolate-chip-sticks/
yum and super quick and easy

Same I do this almost every week, and also the recipe they have for the oat sticks is also yum

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:42 am
I made sprinkle cookies, low fat oatmeal cookies (from here)! & my kids decorated marble cake.
Although the cookies are basically all gone already eatin by ahem and sister.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:43 am
Untzius brownies.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:29 am
I am going to try this recipe. The fusion of Southern and Jewish culinary traditions is so intriguing. I have made the Atlanta brisket recipe and it was delicious.

Based on the description it seems like a perfect cake to keep in the freezer for a nosh. Just defrost a small piece when needed and either thaw or warm gently. My mother did this with a similar type of cake and it was nice to have the slices when needed.

Rosh Hashanah Jam Cake

Excerpt From: Kelly Alexander - Southern Living No Taste Like Home: A Celebration of Regional Southern Cooking and Hometown Flavor

Southern and Jewish cultures have mixed at the dinner table for more than four centuries. This is my mother’s recipe for a cake to celebrate Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.” —Marcie Cohen Ferris

The preserves lend rich color to this cake. Dense and moist, it improves upon keeping and is especially nice served with a glass of port for late-afternoon drop-ins. We often slice the cake into strips and top with cream cheese.

Makes 12 servings

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. table salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (18-oz.) jar blackberry preserves, preferably seedless (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
Powdered sugar (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and salt. Pour the buttermilk into a 2-cup glass measure. Stir in the baking soda, and set aside; it will foam slightly.

2. In a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl.

3. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape the bowl. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, just until blended. Beat in the preserves and pecans, finishing the mixing by hand with a rubber spatula.

4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top.Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch, shrinks from the sides, and a long wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Sometimes, I bake it in three small loaf pans to give away for holiday gifts. They’ll be done much sooner, so start checking after 20 minutes.)

5. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife or thin metal spatula around the edges of the pan and center tube, turn out onto a wire rack, and cool completely (2 hours). Transfer to a cake plate. If you’d like, dust the cake with powdered sugar.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:30 am
Mini cheese babka buns
Chocolate chip cookie sticks

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:33 am
"Mabul cake" for Noach!

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:40 am
I am actually very proud of myself with my answer for this question.

I made a double recipe of chocolate chip cookies last week and divided the dough by three. 1/3 I baked for last shabbos and the other two portions I put in bags and froze. All I need to do is take a bag of dough from the freezer to fridge tonight and tomorrow roll the dough into balls and fresh chocolate chip cookies!!

lovepinterest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:54 pm
Thx for posting the between carpools recipe! Gonna try it 😋

sky

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
"Mabul cake" for Noach!

Me too:)
We also got rainbow cake in our box do don’t need to make that.

Brownies with fluff and peanut butter chic Rice Krispies on top.

Baked apples with crumble (does that count)

Java

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:58 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
I am actually very proud of myself with my answer for this question.

I made a double recipe of chocolate chip cookies last week and divided the dough by three. 1/3 I baked for last shabbos and the other two portions I put in bags and froze. All I need to do is take a bag of dough from the freezer to fridge tonight and tomorrow roll the dough into balls and fresh chocolate chip cookies!!

Brilliant! I want to try this
Does freezing affect the quality or consistency of the dough?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:03 pm
Still have an assortment of cakes in my freezer that I baked for Yom Tov. No need to bake this week.

agreer

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
"Mabul cake" for Noach!

What's a Mabul cake?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:18 pm
Coffee marble Bundt cake from by cookbook.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:51 pm
Nothing!

For my birthday present, DH and DD will be making Shabbos for me. I will not be shopping, cooking, baking, cleaning, serving, or doing anything except sitting at the table and enjoying the experience.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:53 pm
I have smores brownies in my freezer. Yay

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:55 pm
agreer wrote:
What's a Mabul cake?

Marble cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note