Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Leaving child in the bathtub with a monitor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:46 pm
Didnt read the whole thread but im hoping this is a troll. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS EVER!!! It doesnt take 30 seconds to drown, its takes one second for lungs to fill up with water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would u let your babys head go under water then count til 10 or 15 secnds to take him out????? PLEASE! THIS IS SO DANGEROUS. I feel like throwing up. Its not even like this is a 4 or 5 year old (not that that ould be ok!) your baby is 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honey36

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:25 pm
So I would never leave child in bath unattended. But I'm wondering if anyone leaves their kids eating unattended? Even older kids, like 0-8 years. If so, this is really not better than the bath because they could choke in about the same amount of time...

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:28 pm
honey36 wrote:
So I would never leave child in bath unattended. But I'm wondering if anyone leaves their kids eating unattended? Even older kids, like 0-8 years. If so, this is really not better than the bath because they could choke in about the same amount of time...

Hope you're kidding when comparing the 2.
And no, I don't leave young kids unattended when they're eating choking hazards.

honey36

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:35 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Hope you're kidding when comparing the 2.
And no, I don't leave young kids unattended when they're eating choking hazards.

No, why would I be joking. As you yourself said, it is a choking hazzard to leave them unattended when eating. I'm just trying to bring to people's attention that if they wouldn't leave child in bath unattended they also shouldn't leave kids eating unattended.
I even got cpr training b/c I'm very nervous about my kids choking. Never had to use it yet BH.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really? A human being goes for 3 seconds without oxygen and dies?

(Besides, I can be there in under 3 seconds.)

You said you're in the kitchen. What if a child is blocking the door? What if you are covered in soapy water and if you run to the bathroom you will drip it all over the floor and maybe slip and fall? (You can't run if you've slipped, and getting up from the fall takes more than 3 seconds.)

I doubt it would take you three seconds on the clock. Maybe 30 seconds, not including the time it takes for you to realize your child is in distress.

By the time 30 seconds have passed, severe brain damage may already be underway.

So no.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:48 pm
honey36 wrote:
No, why would I be joking. As you yourself said, it is a choking hazzard to leave them unattended when eating. I'm just trying to bring to people's attention that if they wouldn't leave child in bath unattended they also shouldn't leave kids eating unattended.
I even got cpr training b/c I'm very nervous about my kids choking. Never had to use it yet BH.

This is not what I said. I said that I don't leave young kids unattended when they're eating choking hazards. But when they're eating safe foods, they can be unattended when they're eating.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:54 pm
I know of a really adorable child who was left in the tub when she was 2. Idk the entire story but she is such a cutie in a wheelchair, nonverbal. Im not making it up. I have to do with her now, years later. Please OP, don't.
Sorry I didn't read the comments

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I know of a really adorable child who was left in the tub when she was 2. Idk the entire story but she is such a cutie in a wheelchair, nonverbal. Im not making it up. I have to do with her now, years later. Please OP, don't.
Sorry I didn't read the comments

I used to work in a special ed school and I had such a child in my class. Something happened while she was left alone in the bath, I think she had a seizure, and now she's nebach quadriplegic.

honey36

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:58 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This is not what I said. I said that I don't leave young kids unattended when they're eating choking hazards. But when they're eating safe foods, they can be unattended when they're eating.

I'm sorry. Your right. I misread your post.

I still think every mother should have cpr training though. If it's mandatory for daycare workers (at least where I live) it should be mandatory for parents.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:01 pm
honey36 wrote:

I still think every mother should have cpr training though. If it's mandatory for daycare workers (at least where I live) it should be mandatory for parents.

Yeah, it's very important. My dad is a paramedic so we all got some basic first aid & cpr training.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:40 pm
honey36 wrote:

Mandatory means enforceable.

You can shut a daycare or arrest a childcare provider for not being licensed.

No one wants kids removed from their homes or parents arrested because the parents didn't pass or attend a course. That's a dangerous road to go down.

(All parents should know basic CPR.)

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:40 pm
honey36 wrote:

Depends on the food.
I do leave my toddler with applesauce or small pieces of cheese to go throw in a load of laundry. Apple slices are only eaten right next to me though.

honey36

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:59 pm
I think even older kids need to be watched when eating too. When my brother was 9 or 10 he chocked on a piece of meat (I think it was a very tough steak). Luckily my father was there to do heimlich maneuver.

There's other situations too I see too often: kids playing with latex balloons- again choking hazzard, even with supervision, it's very hard to get it out once their choking on it. But maybe this should be a spin off.

honey36

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Mandatory means enforceable.

You can shut a daycare or arrest a childcare provider for not being licensed.

No one wants kids removed from their homes or parents arrested because the parents didn't pass or attend a course. That's a dangerous road to go down.

(All parents should know basic CPR.)

Yes, that's what I meant.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:11 pm
honey36 wrote:

Don’t all high schools have a first aid, cpr & heimlich course? At least the school I went to did...
And yes, having worked in school settings I’ve constantly had refreshers plus bringing my baby home from the NICU we had to do one there too.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:19 pm
my friend son (2+) had shabbos urn turn over and ended up in the burnt unit
Child went to hospital
Police came to investigate parents
Parents are normal ppl, things happen, but were required to go to court to see a judge.
judge asked parents to attend city child care classes for abusive parents for a year or get arrested/ child taken to city custody if miss attendance

NY

now you decide - leave child alone in bathtub? with a monitor?

what will you tell judge?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I let my 2 year old play in the bathtub while I clean the bathroom ;-)

This!
Yes.
I do this too!
Win win

rosezee

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:02 pm
I’m starting to like these threads because everyone who posts (and it’s under their SN), I genuinely know in my soul, you are all normal people. Hello 👋🏻 thanks for being healthy parents!
We need more in the world.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics