Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O From what age would you leave child alone in bathtub?
1  2  Next

From what age would you leave a child alone in bathtub?
2-3  
 3%  [ 5 ]
3-4  
 12%  [ 18 ]
4-5  
 24%  [ 36 ]
5-6  
 26%  [ 39 ]
6-7  
 21%  [ 31 ]
8+  
 11%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 145

suremom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:22 pm
Does it depend on age or the child? What skills does the child need have for you to feel comfortable to do so?
To make things more complicated, would you leave said child with a younger sibling in tub?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:05 pm
suremom wrote:
Does it depend on age or the child? What skills does the child need have for you to feel comfortable to do so?
To make things more complicated, would you leave said child with a younger sibling in tub?

I voted 5-6, but my answer is 5.

Would not leave the child in the tub with a younger sibling.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:40 pm
I can't really answer the poll because by the time my kids are old enough that I'd be comfortable leaving them alone in a bathtub they're already taking showers.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:56 pm
It depends on the kid. My daughter was able to swim in the deep water at 3 and I felt safe peeking in and out or lying down and watching a monitor.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:57 pm
I think once they start going to mikva.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:21 pm
Shower or bath? I think I would let my kid take a shower earlier than in the bath alone

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:24 pm
I'm a little (ok a lot) horrified at those who said 8+
That's really inappropriate. Honestly, I think it's inappropriate for a parent to be in the room while any child over the age of 6 showers or bathes. But 8 is just beyond the pale.
(I wrote 4-5 but I meant 5)

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:26 pm
I voted age 5. But I leave the door open a drop at that age and since I live in a small apartment can pretty much hear him/her playing around and splashing from any room. I also check in every 5-10 minutes. By age 6/6.5 they do it alone but I still go by the door every so often and listen in for a second to hear that their ok. Showers get me way less nervous, and I allow from age 5+ alone

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:34 pm
Doctors say that children younger than 6 years old should not be left unattended in the bathtub. They should also not be in the bathroom alone if there is water in the bathtub.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I think once they start going to mikva.

Yup. My kids were excellent swimmers taking swim lessons from the age of 3. Even once I left them alone I wouldn't let them lock the door and Insisted on talking to them outside the door...

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
That's really inappropriate. Honestly, I think it's inappropriate for a parent to be in the room while any child over the age of 6 showers or bathes. But 8 is just beyond the pale.

I'm sitting on the bathroom floor now while my autistic 12-year-old is in the bath. If a child doesn't know how to wash himself, how do you expect him to bathe alone?
I will confess that since the beginning of covid, I've been encouraging very long showers and baths since I know that I could sit on the bathroom floor and relax. Ds can't make much trouble here.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:17 pm
When kids begin feeling uncomfortable to be seen naked ...usually around 5 1/2

rosezee

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Shower or bath? I think I would let my kid take a shower earlier than in the bath alone

Amother anon said Mikvah.
Does it matter if they prepped before or not?
(Helicopter mom, much?)

momX4

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:23 pm
I voted 8, until then the bathroom door must be unlocked.

momX4

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:24 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

I stopped bathing my kids at age 5. But they must keep the door unlocked until age 8

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:27 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When kids begin feeling uncomfortable to be seen naked ...usually around 5 1/2

DD loves having a "captive audience" and at around that age I had to insist that I needed to not be in the bathroom with her the whole time. I had stuff to do! She'd say "But mama, I want to talk to you!" By her, a bath could last for hours, until the last drop is freezing cold.

I would have her leave the door open though, and verbally check in with her if I didn't hear her singing or talking to herself.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:47 pm
From when they're about 4. I leave door open but I don't have to be in the room with them.
No locking doors until old enough to shower (anywhere between 7&9).

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:54 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
I'm sitting on the bathroom floor now while my autistic 12-year-old is in the bath. If a child doesn't know how to wash himself, how do you expect him to bathe alone?
I will confess that since the beginning of covid, I've been encouraging very long showers and baths since I know that I could sit on the bathroom floor and relax. Ds can't make much trouble here.

Ok, obviously special needs children (adults?) are an exception

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

8 is the age recommended by many medical professionals...

My kids shower by themselves at 5 or 6 so the bath part is irrelevant, but there is a legitimate recommendation for a reason.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 9:33 pm
4 with the door wide open. bathroom is off the hallway running down the center of the house, off the kitchen and dining room. My husband is more cautious than me, but it feels comfortable to me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics