Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you spell Meir?

How do you spell Meir?
Meir  
 88%  [ 133 ]
Mayer  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Another way  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 150

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:31 am
Today is my nephews birthday, so I thought of his name. He has two names, but his second name is Mayer which that is how it’s spelled because he was named after my grandfather whose last name was Mayers. His first name had to be changed a little because he had the same name as my father. If it wasn’t for him, I would always spell it Meir. I actually have a cousin with that name and that’s how I spell it when I write his name.

Any other names that you spell different than the “norm”?

nchr

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:34 am
I often see it Meyer.
I knew a Leah spelled Laya and I've wondered why we spell Raizy and Roizy with a z instead of Roisy and Raisy like Rose or Rosy since it has the same meaning and the sound will work.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:49 am
nchr wrote:
I often see it Meyer.
I knew a Leah spelled Laya and I've wondered why we spell Raizy and Roizy with a z instead of Roisy and Raisy like Rose or Rosy since it has the same meaning and the sound will work.

It's a transliteration, and to some extent arbitrary a d purely based on convention. In Yiddish it is spelt ראיזל. When you abbreviated it to Raizy, the s would fit. When you give the full name Raizel, it doesn't work. The z is closer to the ז than an s would be. And probably originally came from the German name Roize, so the z was just retained.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:54 am
My name is Meira named after my grandfather Mayer___. (and from the family I get they pronounced it like "Oscar" does.) While in Hebrew letters it's only different by a "hey" at the end. I am told that there are two acceptable pronunciations I've heard "Mayera" and "M'eera" are both valid pronounciations, and since I'm named for Mayer, Mayer-a wouldn't be "wrong" but I tend to use "M'eera" more

Siriusly?

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:55 am
Elfrida wrote:
It's a transliteration, and to some extent arbitrary a d purely based on convention. In Yiddish it is spelt ראיזל. When you abbreviated it to Raizy, the s would fit. When you give the full name Raizel, it doesn't work. The z is closer to the ז than an s would be. And probably originally came from the German name Roize, so the z was just retained.

My middle name (which I don't go by) is Reizel, and it is spelled ריזל. I was surprised to discover this when we looked into the spelling for my kesubah, since I always assumed it was רייזל.
I also know several Reisys and Raisys. Come to think of it, every Reisy I know is spelled with an 's'. Raisy and Raizy is a mix though. Plus, if it comes from German as you say, then 's' makes more sense as in German that is the letter used for the 'z' sound.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My name is Meira named after my grandfather Mayer___. (and from the family I get they pronounced it like "Oscar" does.) While in Hebrew letters it's only different by a "hey" at the end. I am told that there are two acceptable pronunciations I've heard "Mayera" and "M'eera" are both valid pronounciations, and since I'm named for Mayer, Mayer-a wouldn't be "wrong" but I tend to use "M'eera" more

A niece is also named after the same grandfather and her names are, the first is my grandmothers name and her second Meira. Smile

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:33 am
My friend's father from turkey spelled it Mahir...
My other friend's son from France spells it Meïr

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 5:32 pm
My rebbetzin's maiden name is Meirs. She married a man who's last name is Meyers.

Now she goes by Rebbetzin Mayers-Meyers, but pronounces the first part of the name MAY-ers.

B'H she didn't name any of her sons Meir!

samantha87

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:39 pm
Maier?

shanie5

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:40 pm
I know someone who spells it Maier.
My grandson is Meir.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names