Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
100 Top Baby Names For 2020
1  2  Next

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:27 pm
Interesting list. Not surprisingly Karen has gone down by almost 200 places as has Alexa. Smile

Formatting is a bit wonky but it is rank, then girl name and then boy name in that rank. So Sophia is number 1 girl name and Liam is number 1 boy name.

Top 100 baby names of 2020

1 Sophia Liam
2 Olivia Noah
3 Riley Jackson
4 Emma Aiden
5 Ava Elijah
6 Isabella Grayson
7 Aria Lucas
8 Aaliyah Oliver
9 Amelia Caden
10 Mia Mateo
11 Layla Muhammad
12 Zoe Mason
13 Camilla Carter
14 Charlotte Jayden
15 Eliana Ethan
16 Mila Sebastian
17 Everly James
18 Luna Michael
19 Avery Benjamin
20 Evelyn Logan
21 Harper Leo
22 Lily Luca
23 Ella Alexander
24 Gianna Levi
25 Chloe Daniel
26 Adalyn Josiah
27 Charlie Henry
28 Isla Jayce
29 Ellie Julian
30 Leah Jack
31 Nora Ryan
32 Scarlett Jacob
33 Maya Asher
34 Abigail Wyatt
35 Madison William
36 Aubrey Owen
37 Emily Gabriel
38 Kinsley Miles
39 Elena Lincoln
40 Paisley Ezra
41 Madelyn Isaiah
42 Aurora Luke
43 Peyton Cameron
44 Nova Caleb
45 Emilia Isaac
46 Hannah Carson
47 Sarah Samuel
48 Ariana Colton
49 Penelope Maverick
50 Lila Matthew
51 Brooklyn Ian
52 Emery David
53 Callie Adam
54 Hazel Nicholas
55 Hailey Elias
56 Eleanor Adrian
57 Violet Kai
58 Elizabeth Nathan
59 Grace Eli
60 Anna Hudson
61 Mackenzie John
62 Kaylee Zane
63 Victoria Connor
64 Natalie Ezekiel
65 Raelynn Anthony
66 Addison Joseph
67 Skyler Landon
68 Melanie Jameson
69 Stella Thomas
70 Naomi Aaron
71 Lelani Christian
72 Isabelle Xavier
73 Bella. Nolan
74 Liliana Easton
75 Kennedy Joshua
76 Gabriella Dominic
77 Willow Roman
78 Lucy Dylan
79 Savannah Amir
80 Lillian Christopher
81 Sophie Theodore
82 Ivy Jeremiah
83 Amaya Hunter
84 Delilah Andrew
85 Nevaeh Jordyn
86 London Damian
87 Alaina Zion
88 Adeline Theo
89 Audrey Cooper
90 Anaya Malachi
91 Maria Axel
92 Eva Santiago
93 Jasmine Elliot
94 Nyla Bryson
95 Cora Brayden
96 Reagan Rowan
97 Makayla Jonathan
98 Claire Evan
99 Allison Max
100 Emerson Beau

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:30 pm
I didn't even know half of those names were actually names...

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:35 pm
Is this in the US?

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Is this in the US?

Yes. I think they are based on official records.

I think it’s interesting mix of classic names and more trendy names along with names that are obvious nationalities. Some of the girls names are theoretically gender neutral. I find it odd to name a child Brooklyn. Are there children named Boston or Chicago. But then I think that Brooke and Lynn are actually pretty names for girls.

I also find it interesting to look at name trends from the past 100 years to see how names have gone up and down. My English name is completely unfashionable but my Hebrew name is on the list. It has declined in popularity as it was once top ten as was my English name at one time.

Also interesting to me is that some of the names are just variants of older names. My English name has loads of variations depending on the country and derives from Greek.

Siriusly?

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:42 am
Amarante wrote:

I think it’s interesting mix of classic names and more trendy names along with names that are obvious nationalities. Some of the girls names are theoretically gender neutral. I find it odd to name a child Brooklyn. Are there children named Boston or Chicago. But then I think that Brooke and Lynn are actually pretty names for girls.

I also find it interesting to look at name trends from the past 100 years to see how names have gone up and down. My English name is completely unfashionable but my Hebrew name is on the list. It has declined in popularity as it was once top ten as was my English name at one time.

Also interesting to me is that some of the names are just variants of older names. My English name has loads of variations depending on the country and derives from Greek.

Yes, there are! And London, Adelaide, Florence, Indiana, Georgia, Alabama.... there are many!

realsilver

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:48 am
Interesting how many Jewish/bible names there are.

Like Asher! Never knew that was a given name besides for Jewish.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:51 am
Really surprised to see Evelyn so high on the list. That’s my middle aged mom’s name 😄

nchr

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:53 am
realsilver wrote:
Interesting how many Jewish/bible names there are.

Like Asher! Never knew that was a given name besides for Jewish.

Uncommon Hebrew names like Ezra, Boaz and Asher are trending now. The thing is that name trends go in and out quickly now, probably a result of social media spreading a trend quickly, but also with things spreading too fast, becoming too popular and therefore old fashioned, etc. Names become dated much quicker now.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 9:55 am
Amarante wrote:

Okay sorry couldn’t resist-
Is your Hebrew name Kayla (Kaylee) ?
You don’t have to tell...

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Okay sorry couldn’t resist-
Is your Hebrew name Kayla (Kaylee) ?
You don’t have to tell...

Not Kayla - much more obvious in terms of name trends. LOL

My English name is Helen which was old fashioned and not even on the charts for the decade I was born.

My Hebrew name is Chana/Hannah and I was named after my mother's Bubbe. Hannah wasn't on the charts either in the decade I was born but my parents (actually) my mother of course thought it was too old fashioned. Which is of course super ironic because Hannah is a name that I think is the ultimate name that became Uber-trendy to the point of many Hannahs from the 1980's. So I was born just a few years too soon. LOL

My friend's Bubbe is named Myrna. She immigrated from Poland when she was a child and her only name was Mindel so she picked her own English name - Myrna which she thought was a glamorous name. She was one of the trendier ones from that generation even as an older women. Very Happy Her sister was named Faiga and the family called her Faigele - not sure whether that would be done at this time.

I had an Italian friend who was named Phyllis. There are SO MANY Italian Americans of a certain age named Phyllis and when I was looking up names to waste time once, I found out that it was the Italian-American version of Americanizing a name as it derives from Philomena. She hated her name so she started using her middle name after her father died - Toni because he was named Tony (or Anthony).

Social Security has most popular names ranked by each decade which is a fun time waster Smile

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babyn......html

But there are variants of Helen in almost all European countries

Meaning & History

English form of the Greek Ἑλένη (Helene), probably from Greek ἑλένη (helene) meaning "torch" or "corposant", or possibly related to σελήνη (selene) meaning "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by the 4th-century Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.

The name was originally used among early Christians in honour of the saint, as opposed to the classical character. In England it was commonly spelled Ellen during the Middle Ages, and the spelling Helen was not regularly used until after the Renaissance. A famous bearer was Helen Keller (1880-1968), an American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.

Related Names

Variants Ellen, Helena, Hellen, Elena(English) Elin, Elina, Helena, Helene(Swedish) Elin, Helena, Helene, Eline(Norwegian) Elin, Helena, Helene, Eline(Danish) Helena, Helene(Greek Mythology)
DiminutivesElla, Elle, Ellie, Elly, Lena, Nell, Nelle, Nellie, Nelly(English)

Other Languages & Cultures Shelena(African American) Helena, Helene(Ancient Greek) Elaine(Arthurian Romance) Alena(Belarusian) Elena(Bulgarian) Helena(Catalan) Helena, Jelena, Ela, Jela, Jelka(Croatian) Helena, Alena, Helenka, Lenka(Czech) Heleen, Helena, Eline, Heleentje(Dutch) Elina, Helena, Jelena, Leena(Estonian) Eliina, Elina, Helena, Ella, Elli, Heleena, Heli, Leena, Nelli(Finnish) Hélène, Léna(French) Elene(Georgian) Elena, Helena, Helene, Alena, Lena, Lene, Leni(German) Elena, Eleni, Lena(Greek) Heléna, Léna(Hungarian) Helena(Icelandic) Léan(Irish) Elena, Ileana(Italian) Elīna, Helēna, Jeļena, Elēna, Ina, Līna(Latvian) Elena, Jelena(Lithuanian) Elena(Macedonian) Helena, Helenka, Lena(Polish) Helena, Lena(Portuguese) Elena, Ileana, Ilinca, Lenuța(Romanian) Elena, Yelena, Alyona, Lena, Nelli(Russian) Elene(Sardinian) Jelena, Ela, Jela, Jelka(Serbian) Elena, Helena, Alena, Jela, Lenka(Slovak) Helena, Jelena, Alena, Alenka, Ela, Jelka(Slovene) Helena(Sorbian) Elena, Ileana(Spanish) Olena(Ukrainian) Elen, Elin(Welsh)

keym

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:09 pm
Names fascinates me.
But what's particularly interesting is the slight changes and variations.
For example Kayla (one of my favorite names) was in the top 100 15 years ago, but now is replaced with Kaylie, Kylie, Kyla. Changes of the name.

I have a relative who decided Anna, Ann, and Annie is old fashioned. Ok. So she named her daughter Anny. Like change the spelling, and now you have a cool, hip name.

And on this list Mia (I'm assuming pronounced me-a) is #10 and Maya (I'm assuming pronounced my-a) is #33. But I consider both of them pretty much the same name pronounced differently. Like Baila (long a) or Bayla (long I)

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not Kayla - much more obvious in terms of name trends. LOL

My English name is Helen which was old fashioned and not even on the charts for the decade I was born.

My Hebrew name is Chana/Hannah and I was named after my mother's Bubbe. Hannah wasn't on the charts either in the decade I was born but my parents (actually) my mother of course thought it was too old fashioned. Which is of course super ironic because Hannah is a name that I think is the ultimate name that became Uber-trendy to the point of many Hannahs from the 1980's. So I was born just a few years too soon. LOL

My friend's Bubbe is named Myrna. She immigrated from Poland when she was a child and her only name was Mindel so she picked her own English name - Myrna which she thought was a glamorous name. She was one of the trendier ones from that generation even as an older women. Very Happy Her sister was named Faiga and the family called her Faigele - not sure whether that would be done at this time.

I had an Italian friend who was named Phyllis. There are SO MANY Italian Americans of a certain age named Phyllis and when I was looking up names to waste time once, I found out that it was the Italian-American version of Americanizing a name as it derives from Philomena. She hated her name so she started using her middle name after her father died - Toni because he was named Tony (or Anthony).

Social Security has most popular names ranked by each decade which is a fun time waster Smile

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babyn......html

But there are variants of Helen in almost all European countries

Meaning & History

English form of the Greek Ἑλένη (Helene), probably from Greek ἑλένη (helene) meaning "torch" or "corposant", or possibly related to σελήνη (selene) meaning "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by the 4th-century Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.

The name was originally used among early Christians in honour of the saint, as opposed to the classical character. In England it was commonly spelled Ellen during the Middle Ages, and the spelling Helen was not regularly used until after the Renaissance. A famous bearer was Helen Keller (1880-1968), an American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.

Related Names

Variants Ellen, Helena, Hellen, Elena(English) Elin, Elina, Helena, Helene(Swedish) Elin, Helena, Helene, Eline(Norwegian) Elin, Helena, Helene, Eline(Danish) Helena, Helene(Greek Mythology)
DiminutivesElla, Elle, Ellie, Elly, Lena, Nell, Nelle, Nellie, Nelly(English)

Other Languages & Cultures Shelena(African American) Helena, Helene(Ancient Greek) Elaine(Arthurian Romance) Alena(Belarusian) Elena(Bulgarian) Helena(Catalan) Helena, Jelena, Ela, Jela, Jelka(Croatian) Helena, Alena, Helenka, Lenka(Czech) Heleen, Helena, Eline, Heleentje(Dutch) Elina, Helena, Jelena, Leena(Estonian) Eliina, Elina, Helena, Ella, Elli, Heleena, Heli, Leena, Nelli(Finnish) Hélène, Léna(French) Elene(Georgian) Elena, Helena, Helene, Alena, Lena, Lene, Leni(German) Elena, Eleni, Lena(Greek) Heléna, Léna(Hungarian) Helena(Icelandic) Léan(Irish) Elena, Ileana(Italian) Elīna, Helēna, Jeļena, Elēna, Ina, Līna(Latvian) Elena, Jelena(Lithuanian) Elena(Macedonian) Helena, Helenka, Lena(Polish) Helena, Lena(Portuguese) Elena, Ileana, Ilinca, Lenuța(Romanian) Elena, Yelena, Alyona, Lena, Nelli(Russian) Elene(Sardinian) Jelena, Ela, Jela, Jelka(Serbian) Elena, Helena, Alena, Jela, Lenka(Slovak) Helena, Jelena, Alena, Alenka, Ela, Jelka(Slovene) Helena(Sorbian) Elena, Ileana(Spanish) Olena(Ukrainian) Elen, Elin(Welsh)

Thanks for the reply Amarante.
Your posts are always so interesting.
I look out for them! Smile

Frumme

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:45 pm
keym wrote:

And on this list Mia (I'm assuming pronounced me-a) is #10 and Maya (I'm assuming pronounced my-a) is #33. But I consider both of them pretty much the same name pronounced differently. Like Baila (long a) or Bayla (long I)

Can you explain what you mean? Bayla and Baila to me are pronounced the same, unless you mean like Spanish "baila" (which means to dance)....

keym

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:48 pm
Frumme wrote:
Can you explain what you mean? Bayla and Baila to me are pronounced the same, unless you mean like Spanish "baila" (which means to dance)....

I meant the difference between the Chassidishe and Litvishe pronunciation. Long A or long I.
Spelling, you're right, it's interchangeable.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:14 pm
I think it’s interesting how popular the name Mohammed is.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:23 pm
keym wrote:
I meant the difference between the Chassidishe and Litvishe pronunciation. Long A or long I.
Spelling, you're right, it's interchangeable.

Byla

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I think it’s interesting how popular the name Mohammed is.

I think it’s all Muslims name their firstborn sons Mohammed.

It’s way up on the list in Israel too

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:12 pm
Now that the nickname I go by is actually on this list, does this mean I will one day see my name on the premade keychains and chatchkes that I have unsuccessfully (with one exception) scanned for at an untold number of gift shops my whole American life?? I am not counting when I go to Israel and see the Hebrew version, which is not too often.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:53 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Really surprised to see Evelyn so high on the list. That’s my middle aged mom’s name 😄
that my 95 year old aunts name

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 5:41 pm
I've had several students named Evelyn in the past 10 years or so.
Most of the names on this list can be found in my non Jewish school. Surprised by the name Sophia being #1 though...it's been a few years since I've had any in my class, though not so long ago you could expect multiples in a class.
What is most trendy right now, one, is using a last name type for first name, especially for girls. So, for example, Grayson could equally be a girl or a boy. Kennedy would be a girl's name.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics