Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Shortcut shnitzel
1  2  Next

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:48 am
Is it possible to skip the step I usually do in coating my shnitzel which is coat in egg and then coat in separate bag in crumbs.
Can I just make some kind of mixture of crumbs and oil and coat once?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:19 pm
Have you ever done the 2 coatings by shaking the chicken in 2 separate Ziploc bags?

Are you baking or frying? If you're frying, you can just do one batter coating (no crumbs).

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:22 pm
I once made a baked chicken popper from Miriam Pascal's book where you took a mixing bowl, put your chicken in it, the you added the flour until the chicken was fully coated, then the egg and once it looked a little gluey you added the breadcrumbs and mixed again. It works really well with less mess. If you have her real life kosher cooking book I think the recipe is called BBQ Chicken Poppers.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:02 pm
I put the cutlet pieces in a storage bag
Add the flour & smush it around
Add egg & smush it around (sometimes looks a bit like a batter)
Dip in plate of breadcrumbs
Add little oil to Betty Crocker & delicious schnitzel in a few minutes!

Edited a typo

Last edited by Sunny Days on Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

srbmom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:06 pm
I cut my cutlets up into smaller size pieces and lay out in a 9x13 pan. Pout in 1/4 bottle thousand island dressing. Mix it around to get cutlets covered in it. Pour crumbs over the top, turn pieces over, pour crumbs over the top. Spray with Pam.
Bake 25 minutes covered at 350. Uncover for 15 more (can pour some duck sauce over once uncovered if you like that)
This is my go to lazy recipe. Each piece doesn't come out perfectly coated but my kids don't mind.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:13 pm
My shortcut schnitzel is dipping in mayo and then dipping in flavored corn flake crumbs

I think I saw this in the bina magazine years ago. It’s actually very good.

happy chick

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:14 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
My shortcut schnitzel is dipping in mayo and then dipping in flavored corn flake crumbs

If that's your shortcut, what's your long way?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:21 pm
happy chick wrote:
If that's your shortcut, what's your long way?

Well... I didn’t really tell you what my real shortcut is—
Very often I buy breaded cutlets... the store did the dipping and I just fry!
The recipe I posted is my second to easiest schnitzel meal.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:23 pm
lkwdlady wrote:

Yes, or dip in mayo mixed with ketchup or barbecue sauce and spices.

teachkids

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:32 pm
I drop them into a bag of egg or sauce as I cut them then I dip into crumbs and drop on the tray.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:36 pm
You can also use 1 bag. Drop the chicken pieces in a Ziploc. Add beaten eggs, seal and shake until coated. Open and add breadcrumbs on top. Seal and shake until evenly breaded. Remove with tongs because it's messy otherwise.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:42 pm
Or for baking you can lay chicken pieces in pan - smear with mayonnaise and pour on flavored corn flake crumbs
I’ve done this with chicken on the bone and add some potato slices underneath- comes out moist and full of flavor
Bake covered and uncover for the last few minutes

EsG

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:52 pm
I sometimes buy shake n bake mixes and I shake each piece of chicken in the bag 1 at a time. No egg or mayo. Comes out so good.

I wonder if you could do that with regular flavored breadcrumbs?

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:38 pm
I make chicken nuggets like this

Small pieces cutlets
Put into bag
Bread crumbs
Paprika
Garlic
Black pepper
Salt
Parsley flakes
Sesame seeds
Oil about 1-2 T
Mix with chicken

Spray oil on top
Bake 400 for 25 min

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can also use 1 bag. Drop the chicken pieces in a Ziploc. Add beaten eggs, seal and shake until coated. Open and add breadcrumbs on top. Seal and shake until evenly breaded. Remove with tongs because it's messy otherwise.

Does it get more mushy sticky than if done in separate bags?
I usually do one bag with egg and next bag with crumbs. And I always make sure there is plenty extra crumbs and a big bag so I have room to shake it around and coat nicely. I end up throwing out a lot of the crumbs at end. If I don't put extras the coating doesn't stick well in the end though.

I know it sounds silly trying to avoid using two bags but any shortcut for something I do often makes a difference if you know what I mean

penguin

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:52 pm
Put parchment paper in pan. Sprinkle crumbs of your choice in pan. You can put spices in now if you want or later.
Put cutlets in ziplock w mayo & spices. Mush around.
Place in pan.
Then you can either turn them over or just sprinkle more crumbs.
Can't be easier and NOTHING to clean.

I do this with fish also. Although I just sprinkly oil on top, I skip the mayo.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:56 pm
artsy wrote:
Does it get more mushy sticky than if done in separate bags?
I usually do one bag with egg and next bag with crumbs. And I always make sure there is plenty extra crumbs and a big bag so I have room to shake it around and coat nicely. I end up throwing out a lot of the crumbs at end. If I don't put extras the coating doesn't stick well in the end though.

I know it sounds silly trying to avoid using two bags but any shortcut for something I do often makes a difference if you know what I mean

Yes more sticky which is why you need the tongs.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 12:48 pm
I marinate the shnitzel for several hours or overnight in a big bowl in a mixture of eggs + mustard + spices.
When I want to prepare the shnitzel, I just take out the pieces one by one, roll in bread crumbs and fry.
I find this easier and quicker than doing the two bowl egg + breading assembly line thing, although you do have to plan before for this method.

shanie5

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:21 pm
I do a lot of shnitzel in at one time. Lay the pieces on lined trays and freeze. When frozen I put in a ziplock baggie. Take out and defrost however much I need.

artsy

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:39 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I do a lot of shnitzel in at one time. Lay the pieces on lined trays and freeze. When frozen I put in a ziplock baggie. Take out and defrost however much I need.

What is your breading process though?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey