Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 mo old refusing to nurse :(

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:34 am
My 10 mo old is refusing to nurse. I just had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago (hence the anonymous) and nursed thru the beginning of the pregnancy. Just now, he decided he doesn't want to nurse anymore. He eats solids very well, bh. He's a bit kvetchy and clingy, but overall he's bh a happy well-rounded baby.
My pediatrician allows milk at 10 mos, so I started but he doesn't seem very keen on the milk either. If he doesn't want to nurse or the milk bottles, Im assuming he won't be happy w formula either. He's rather on the small side. How do I make sure he's getting enough nutrition?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:40 am
Maybe you don't have enough milk or it's possible that the taste has changed when you had the miscarriage.
You've got nothing to lose by trying formula, he might like it. My baby refuses milk but he takes formula nicely.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 10 mo old is refusing to nurse. I just had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago (hence the anonymous) and nursed thru the beginning of the pregnancy. Just now, he decided he doesn't want to nurse anymore. He eats solids very well, bh. He's a bit kvetchy and clingy, but overall he's bh a happy well-rounded baby.
My pediatrician allows milk at 10 mos, so I started but he doesn't seem very keen on the milk either. If he doesn't want to nurse or the milk bottles, Im assuming he won't be happy w formula either. He's rather on the small side. How do I make sure he's getting enough nutrition?

My son refused to nurse after I had a miscarriage. the taste is different. I successfully changed to formula.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:02 am
It can't be I don't have enough, cuz he's not even latching on. He's completely refusing me. If he stopped after a minute or 2, that would make sense .
As for taste change, I am aware. But I thought the taste changes w pregnancy. And he was fine w that. Will miscarriage make it change taste again?

Classicookie

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:05 am
when you nurse the milk is very warm, and milk out of the fridge is very cold. even the formula is usually room temp or warmish I would either try formula, try pumping and putting it in a bottle see if it's the milk taste , and one more thing you could try is warming up regular milk

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:28 am
IMO formula is better than cows milk at that age, especially if you’re worried about weight gain. Formula has a lot more calories.
Yes, any hormonal changes can change the milk. I’ve heard of babies who quit nursing when their moms got their period.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
IMO formula is better than cows milk at that age, especially if you’re worried about weight gain. Formula has a lot more calories.
Yes, any hormonal changes can change the milk. I’ve heard of babies who quit nursing when their moms got their period.

I hope none of my kids ever do that, I get my period around 4-5 mos pp.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:41 am
Thank you, all. I guess Ill speak to my Dr and see what to do.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:43 am
My daughter switched to rice dream. But I would definitely say ask your doctor.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It can't be I don't have enough, cuz he's not even latching on. He's completely refusing me. If he stopped after a minute or 2, that would make sense .
As for taste change, I am aware. But I thought the taste changes w pregnancy. And he was fine w that. Will miscarriage make it change taste again?

I’m so sorry about the miscarriage. But this could be a blessing in disguise since you don’t have to go through slowly weaning him. You can pump a little and mix it with cows milk for him.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:53 am
I’m so sorry. If you’d rather continue breastfeeding, this page has some helpful tips. It could just be a nursing strike that you can work through. I went through a similar issue when I had a miscarriage (though my baby was a bit older), and I found he was more willing to nurse when very sleepy. It’s also possible the hormones will just even out and your baby will latch again naturally. You may want to pump in the meantime to keep up your supply.

https://kellymom.com/ages/newb.....east/

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hope none of my kids ever do that, I get my period around 4-5 mos pp.

My baby did that. Miscarriage or period changes the taste in the milk way more significantly than pregnancy does.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:13 pm
I’m so sorry about your miscarriage.

If you would like to keep nursing, I agree, pump and give it in a bottle- then you’ll see if it’s the taste or it’s a nursing strike.
If he doesn’t like the taste, keep pumping and maybe when the hormones even out youll still have a supply and maybe he’ll want to continue.

Generally babies don’t wean by choice before 1- it’s actually a nursing strike which can be temporary but so frustrating.

My baby had a nursing strike at around 4 months which is a very common time but the bait and switch method worked BH (see the link above)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics