Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
For all parents whose kids are scared of baths

behappy2

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:53 pm
I just did something out of the box. My daughter is crazy anxious about baths, specifically shampooing her hair. Every Friday is a battle and I don't always win. This week I offered to go into the bath with her (swimpants and t shirt) I laid her head on my lap, so that her entire head was out of the water and got her to take a full bath, including conditioning part of her hair. I can't say she was cool, calm and relaxed but we didn't have screaming, crying etc...as a side note it was very relaxing for me and way easier on my back. Wanted to share if it can help anyone.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:59 pm
I also did that with my toddler a few times.
She loves baths now!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:19 pm
I did that with my ds when he was around 1-2 years old.
Later I heard childrens fear at that age is that some toddlers think they will go down The drain together with the water!
Not sure if the solution is to explain, or make sure the water is not running or going down while the kid is in the water.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:21 pm
Love this great idea!

behappy2

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:38 pm
I see I wasn't original Smile Also I see both of you did it with a toddler. My daughter is 4 (I never thought to do it before)

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 2:45 pm
Quote:
For all parents whose kids are scared of baths

Don't bathe them with a monster! nor with a monkey!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 4:35 pm
I've heard it said that some children are reincarnated from a person who has drowned, and that is why they seem to fear water "for no reason". Being in the water with them can help them process that trauma and feel safe. When they realize that they can depend on you, that you will hold them up, and that nothing bad happens, they will eventually get over it.

I am neither a kabbalist or a psychiatrist, but it makes pretty good sense to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics