Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Need frying advice with NOT non stick

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:30 pm
I just bought very good quality stainless steel pots. I’m used to non stick and these are not. Any advice or tricks with frying?? It seems that everything I fry sticks. I do make sure the oil is very very hot before I put food in... any other tricks?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:36 pm
Spray with cooking spray such as Pam before adding the oil.

And use a thin metal turner like this one from Rada: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr.....psc=1

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:54 pm
Use a fry thermometer. Each pot distributes heat differently (each gas range too), and using a new one is a learning curve with temperature and cooking time.

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:38 pm
I assume you mean sautéing and not frying.

You might be using a temperature that is too high as the oil shouldn't be very hot but just moderately hot - too low and the food gets greasy but too high and the food burns and sticks and often doesn't cook properly as exterior is cooked before the interior.

What specifically are you cooking?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:40 pm
Preheat the PAN before putting in the oil.

It takes time to learn the pans, but they do work!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:57 pm
Thank you for the replies. I have an electric cook top... do you think that’s affecting it

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 5:03 pm
You need to wait a few moments longer before you flip the food. Ie it will loosen on its own if you wait a moment longer. That's what I learned from a professional cooking course on sauteing.

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I have an electric cook top... do you think that’s affecting it

Cooking in electric is different than gas because gas responds instantly to raising or lowering temperature althiugh obviously the pan doesn’t.

But cooking on electric Can produce equally good results. You just have to wait for the actual electric hobs to heat up. The speed depends on how good your stove is and the power of each hob. If you want to decrease heat quickly, you learn to move the pan off the job for a few moments.

Also depends on what you are cooking as most sautéed food is deglazed when the fond becomes part of the pan sauce. If you are braising, then it becomes part of the braising liquid.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 5:33 pm
I agree with Amarante. It's basically just a matter of learning your cooktop and your pan.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 2:15 pm
This reminds me of one of my favorite Gordon Ramsay rants. (He's a famous chef, if you don't know.)

"Why is the food sticking? Because you are not using a non stick pan! If you used a non stick pan, the food wouldn't stick! THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED A NON STICK PAN!!!!"

And then his head basically explodes. Exploding anger

Do yourself a huge favor. Get yourself a high quality, heavy non-stick pan. Problem solved.

Success10

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 2:37 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This reminds me of one of my favorite Gordon Ramsay rants. (He's a famous chef, if you don't know.)

"Why is the food sticking? Because you are not using a non stick pan! If you used a non stick pan, the food wouldn't stick! THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED A NON STICK PAN!!!!"

And then his head basically explodes. Exploding anger

Do yourself a huge favor. Get yourself a high quality, heavy non-stick pan. Problem solved.

Agreed. Every set needs one non-stick frying pan.

ChanieMommy

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 2:41 pm
If you cook on electric, you need to put first just the pan on the stove, wait till it heats up, put in the oil, wait till the oil heats up and then start frying...

dveikus

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just bought very good quality stainless steel pots. I’m used to non stick and these are not. Any advice or tricks with frying?? It seems that everything I fry sticks. I do make sure the oil is very very hot before I put food in... any other tricks?

Yes, if it's a stainless steel pan, heat the pan empty over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles across the pan. Only then, after the metal has expanded due to heat, do you add the oil. After the oil has heated to the right temperature, fry your food. Nothing should stick if you do it this way.

dveikus

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:47 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
If you cook on electric, you need to put first just the pan on the stove, wait till it heats up, put in the oil, wait till the oil heats up and then start frying...

Oops, I just gave the same advice because I didn't read the replies. But at least now she knows it's common advice. Smile

But anyway, this advice is for gas ranges as well.

Amarante

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:48 pm
It also depends on what you are cooking.

Every household needs a good nonstick pan because certain stuff like eggs and pancakes really need to be cooked in a non-stick pan. Also if you are cooking breaded foods without sauce and want to minimize how much oil you use, a good non-stick pan is ideal. You still can use a bit of oil to crisp it and for taste but with a non-stick pan you don't need a lot of oil.

But almost every other kind of dish cooks well in a good stainless steel pan as long as you follow some of the tips posted above. And I do emphasize GOOD because a heavy pan will provide steady even heat so that you don't have uneven hot and cold spots.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:36 pm
I think you probably need to use more oil than what you are used to. I don't heat my pan first and I never have a problem. I just make sure the oil is hot before I start frying. Sometimes I sprinkle a drop of water in the pan to make sure.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:54 pm
Water should bead up... If you put a few drops of water they'll combine when it's hot enough.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:18 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I think you probably need to use more oil than what you are used to. I don't heat my pan first and I never have a problem. I just make sure the oil is hot before I start frying. Sometimes I sprinkle a drop of water in the pan to make sure.

I think I’ve been using too much oil in attempt to make it work. I make potato Kugel in a pan instead of oven and now that I bought these stainless (very good quality!) pots it’s not flipping. The bottom is sticking to the pan. I Will try to heat the pan first before heating oil and see how my Kugel flips next week Smile
Thanks for all the replies

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:20 pm
I wouldn't do kugel or pancakes in a stainless pan. I use stainless for sautéing and searing.

ETA: (And frying, the few times that I do.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I wouldn't do kugel or pancakes in a stainless pan. I use stainless for sautéing and searing.

Ok then... going to buy a non stick for my Kugel!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics