Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Did you pierce your daughter's ears when she was 3?
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:17 pm
I like the idea of doing it when the child is a baby before they can remember the pain. This way you avoid the fear and anxiety young kids have before doing it. I don’t know anyone who got their ears pierced as a baby who’s upset about it! Most convalescent homes bring a professional in to pierce the ears.

IsraeliSoul

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:30 pm
For a newborn baby it’s so much less painful than for a toddler let alone a teen, and the holes are stronger and don’t stretch as much as when it’s done later.

I had my dd’s ears pierced when she was just one week old.

I figured boys have a bris, girls have their ears pierced.
And to me it seemed my girly was in less pain than ds.
She was happy and looked like Cinderella just 2 minutes after.

I myself got my ears pierced when I was 18 and it hurt.
So I’m glad little dd is dancing around with earrings already.

bsy

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:51 pm
My daughter got shortly before her 4th birthday. She knew it would hurt for a few seconds and wanted it anyway. I showed her a few videos of little kids getting their ears pierced on YouTube beforehand.

Radish

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:59 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I got my ears pierced at age 12 with a gun. (not disposable. what are those made of?)
It was fine. Hurt for about a second. Worth the earrings.

Same here. No biggie

DREAMING

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:09 pm
I pierced my daughters ears when she was 2. It was done in a jewelry store. With a gun. Pretty sure it was Not disposable. You choose the earrings. They put it in the gun. The Pierce itself takes a few seconds

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:26 pm
Both my daughters had their ears pierced at 3 with a disposable gun. They went in fully aware that it hurts, and they wanted it anyway. We did one ear at a time and neither of them cried, but they are very stoic in nature and I think most kids would cry. One of my daughters has very sensitive skin and her hole just would not heal. So eventually we let them close up and we'll try again when she asks.

pizzapie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:41 pm
I took my daughter to get her ears pieced when she was potty trained at age three. She wanted earrings very badly and she earned them. I told her it would hurt for a couple of seconds and she was okay with that. I brought her to someone in my community who pierces ears. The actual earring is what's used to pierce the ears and it's more of a staple method than a gun. We did each ear separately and she wanted earrings badly enough that she didn't flinch.

Frumme

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:30 pm
I had to have my ears pierced 3 different times. The first two times were at Claire's or similar, and they used the guns. The first time I was a baby and pulled out the studs. The second time, around preschool, the holes didn't "hold." Eventually my mom took me to a literal hole in the wall during elementary and finally they stayed; can't remember if they used a gun or not.

Anyway, getting them done too young can be "bad" in that babies can pull them out and the fact that they're still growing, so the piercings might not be even later on.

After all that fuss, I'd much rather go to a tattoo parlor or the like. I feel like the success rate is higher than with a piercing gun.

miami85

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:33 pm
I got my ears pierced at 4 and my daughter was not quite 4.5 and she said she had psyched herself that she was ready and she did something in order to earn them. She's NOT a fan of doctors/needles and she wanted to go with my niece who was 9 at the time and my sister was NOT going anywhere NEAR a tattoo parlor. We went to a mall Piercing Pagoda and I really wanted "simultaneous piercing" for my daughter b/c the last thing I wanted was for her to feel the "ow" and then run away. They tried their best to accommodate but the 2nd gun got stuck so it didn't "fire" as planned, but my daughter was a trooper, she hardly flinched and she was able to be patient and she got both done. I was so proud of her. We followed the instructions and cleaning regimen that they "prescribed" and didn't have any problem for the 6 week period. She was the one who reminded me to do the cleaning solution every night.

The ONE thing that did come in handy with the tattoo parlor was it was after the first 6 weeks and we had changed her earrings and it was summer and she had gone swimming and my guess is that the back was too tight and it got a little infected and both the doctor (not a doctor I love and I often referred to him as "Dr. Idiot" ) and piercing pagoda said she was likely allergic to the nickel and recommended that the ear close up and then re-pierce--but she had been SO patient waiting for her to be able to change earrings so I didn't want her to give up and have to go through the piercing, the waiting and risking infection again. And I had read on a tattoo/piercing website that said to just irrigate with saline solution but to NOT let the ear close up and with the antibiotic and rinsing the ear we saved the piercing and also she's not allergic, she wears all kind of earrings and now she's 5.5 and loses earrings all the time so I'm glad I'm not wasting my money on the gold ones.

At first I was changing them for her, now she does it herself, I'm not thrilled with how many have been lost but I'm glad she has survived the year and as the pamphelet said that after a year of continual wear there's little risk of them closing up. I'm not second-guessing my decision at all.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics