Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Making a simcha indoors allowed

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 7:45 pm
I live in NY and there are a lot of restrictions rightfully so due to covid... the schools are warning us not to even go to indoor simchas....

But my sil lives in nj and is making a "small" bar mitzva evening indoor with around 75 close relatives (dh and her family are large bah so it's only close relatives)

Is this allowed?? Obviously, masks cant be worn because there is a meal the entire time, so how is it safe???

I'm so confused.

Is there a limit in nj or ny?

Do you think it's safe to even go as everyone wont be wearing masks....and of course no way to social distance... ???

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 7:46 pm
I believe there's a 25 person limit in NJ.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 7:51 pm
Why does it matter if it’s allowed or not?!
Your sister kin law is doing it. It’s up to you if you want to attend or not.
Simchos in ny and nj are pretty regular but smaller and elderly people wearing masks or staying home.
Some bp halls in the red zones cancelled and the weddings were relocated to other areas like Williamsburg that are not red

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Why does it matter if it’s allowed or not?!
Your sister kin law is doing it. It’s up to you if you want to attend or not.
Simchos in ny and nj are pretty regular but smaller and elderly people wearing masks or staying home.
Some bp halls in the red zones cancelled and the weddings were relocated to other areas like Williamsburg that are not red

I'm in NJ (not Lakewood.) There is nothing regular about our simchos. They are outside whenever possible, and smaller than usual. Most people wearing masks when not eating, particularly indoors. Meals are particularly small. Kiddushes are walk-by small giveaways from their yard.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm in NJ (not Lakewood.) There is nothing regular about our simchos. They are outside whenever possible, and smaller than usual. Most people wearing masks when not eating, particularly indoors. Meals are particularly small. Kiddushes are walk-by small giveaways from their yard.

This is what I thought....I'm really concerned for my inlaws, one has health problems, but then I thought maybe everyone is making simchas this way and I'm overreacting???

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:35 pm
You need to make your own decision.
I went to a bar mitzvah early Sept and wore a mask most of the time, as did others. You can dance witgmh a mask. Just take off when eating-- if you are able to sit near close family members, that's best. They had fewer people at each table so I really only exposed myself to like 3 people. Same with a wedding I had in lakewood early sept.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:40 pm
I’m not sure why but mostly Lakewood is behaving as if covid doesn’t exist.. even though so many people are getting it.

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:43 pm
In August, Gov Murphy reduced the capacity for indoor gatherings to 25% of capacity, maximum 25 people. I don't think its been increased since then.

But let's be honest. You're not telling your in-laws that the bar mitzvah seuda is illegal.

I don't think its safe, and I wouldn't go. And I'd suggest that your DH talk to his parents about the risks.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:59 pm
Thank you everyone who replied...I thought I was going crazy...as if I'm living in a different world....and my in laws will go to the bar mitzvah as they dont think it's a big deal...but I hope everyone who goes stays healthy...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics