Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Free Computer Filter

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:37 pm
I need it for myself and DH so doesn't have to be super tight or strict or unpassable but I do want basic decent filtering. For ex, I don't want p0rn sites easily googlable. Kids don't have access to our laptop. What would you recommend?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:07 pm
open dns.
super easy to install
free
and you can customize the filtration options.

Ive been struggling with filters ever since K9 discontinued their services until I discovered this one.
The huge advantage with this one is that it a filter on the router itself so that any internet access will be filtered according to the standards you have set.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:14 pm
Yep. We had k9 and for awhile it continued working even after they were officially no longer working (cuz it filtered out sites that it had done it to in the past), but by now new sites keep sneaking in and I dont feel safe anymore.

can you post a link to download open dns?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:16 pm
You don't download it. You set up an account with them and change your router settings to go through their servers to provide DNS.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:52 pm
you can use free qustodio with you as the admin and click on the option to lock google in safe search mode. there are ways to bypass qustodio though... definitely don't recommend it for kids/teens but it may or may not meet your needs. You can do qustodio plus open dns. open dns only works through your router right HY? I use it as a backup in my house but if someone has a different device with data/or uses a different wifi signal or hotspot it won't help.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:20 pm
Does Open DNS slow your Internet speeds if it filters everything going through the router?

Also, can I use it if I don't remember my router password and don't know how to access it? I once tried to change some other setting on the router and wasn't able to gain access to it. Is there any way I could still use Open DNS?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:44 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You don't download it. You set up an account with them and change your router settings to go through their servers to provide DNS.

Can you guide me through this? It tells me to open preferences to my router as a first step. How do I do that? I'm so bad at this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:11 pm
Supposedly I'm in but it's not actually doing the filtering. Sad I need help

Qustudio doesnt have a free plan according to google. if anyone knows of something asap, please post.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Supposedly I'm in but it's not actually doing the filtering. Sad I need help

Qustudio doesnt have a free plan according to google. if anyone knows of something asap, please post.

They do. Go to their website. Free only works on 1 device, iirc.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
They do. Go to their website. Free only works on 1 device, iirc.

Installed and works. Thanks!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:28 pm
I got the app for clean browsing but I dont understand how it works
Can you please walk me through it
How do I test that it works

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:01 am
Odelyah wrote:
you can use free qustodio with you as the admin and click on the option to lock google in safe search mode. there are ways to bypass qustodio though... definitely don't recommend it for kids/teens but it may or may not meet your needs. You can do qustodio plus open dns. open dns only works through your router right HY? I use it as a backup in my house but if someone has a different device with data/or uses a different wifi signal or hotspot it won't help.

That is correct, Odelyah.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:05 am
I can't possibly know the ip of anyone else's router but it's usually 192.168.0.something or 192.168.1.something
You can try .1, .2 etc for several numbers and see if you can get in

I also can't possibly know the login to the router but if you got it from your ISP, they should be able to help you

The internet doesn't slow down at all. All internet service goes through DNS servers to map sites to ips. You're just using this one instead of Google's or that your ISP chose...

hello321

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:12 am
Sorry this is all Chinese to me.
No idea how to find these numbers ect
I downloaded the free CleanBrowsing app. Now what? Lol
I need step by step directions if anyone has the patience to teach me

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:19 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I can't possibly know the ip of anyone else's router but it's usually 192.168.0.something or 192.168.1.something
You can try .1, .2 etc for several numbers and see if you can get in

I also can't possibly know the login to the router but if you got it from your ISP, they should be able to help you

The internet doesn't slow down at all. All internet service goes through DNS servers to map sites to ips. You're just using this one instead of Google's or that your ISP chose...

And if you want to be more exact, Google how to find the address of your router gateway on your operating system. Then you don't have to guess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics