Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Covid versus Flu - Facts Edition
Previous  1  2  3

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:09 am
Laiya wrote:
But this isn't April. Our understanding of the disease and treatment options have vastly improved.

The more relevant comparison would be, the current fatality rate for covid as it compares to the flu. And to parse it more, for purposes of determining policy, What is the current fatality rate for different age groups? (For children 19 and under, according to recent CDC data, survival is 99.997%)

In fact, many doctors believe that people are no longer getting as sick with covid as they were previously, because they are being infected with a much lower viral load. This is attributed to wearing masks and social distancing, which help people get less sick even if they do catch it. Google for more info.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:21 am
It looks like most countries do have mask mandates and quarantines so I don't think that it's just a political maneuver to divest Americans of their freedoms. It doesn't look like many countries are simply ignoring the virus and just telling everyone to do as they please.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:29 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
In fact, many doctors believe that people are no longer getting as sick with covid as they were previously, because they are being infected with a much lower viral load. This is attributed to wearing masks and social distancing, which help people get less sick even if they do catch it. Google for more info.

Because it's been in the environment for several months now, people probably have gradually built up resistance so that they already had some level of immunity when they actually caught it. I think that masks helped people acquire small amounts of virus over time.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:42 am
I did some research on the death rate of covid VS flu, and it was inconclusive. We do not yet know the death rate of covid since it deffinately changed over time, and has not yet leveled out.
We also cannot yet calculate the R-zero factor which would tell us how contagious it is.
Here's what the cdc says:
Quote:
While there is still much to learn about , at this time, it does seem as if COVID-19 is more deadly than seasonal influenza; however, it is too early to draw any conclusions from the current data. This may change as we learn more about the number of people who are infected who have mild illnesses.Oct 7, 2020

When it's flu season, I might know one or two people who are sick, but with covid, I know so many sick at the same time. Im referring to people with symptoms. My reasoning tells me it's a lot more contagious. That's why we need to keep our germs to ourselves and wear a mask in public.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:13 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

Ok, I was responding to the assertion about fatality of covid vs flu, not specifically masks and sd.

As far as masks leading to lower viral load, keep in mind it's still just a hypothesis and, while quoted by many news articles, the source is this perspective article published in NEJM (which refers to it as a hypothesis)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:32 am
There is a vaccine for the flu.
Being a new virus, few had the cell memory to fight it.
Naturally the weakest get harmed the earliest and quickest. Also the worst strains of the disease dies off quickest as it kills people.
Wait a bit and the yearly average will even out more.
This virus definitely exists, it’s just not as lethal as some want us to believe.
It does seem to be more uncomfortable than the flu for many. But we have inconclusive data on its mortality in comparison to the flu.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:43 am
In bad flu years, maybe it would make sense to wear masks and social distance. Saying that the fatality rate is low and so we should do nothing implies that it is okay to let some people die from a preventable illness.
Specific safety measures may or may not do more harm than good. But we still need to make an effort to fight and prevent disease.

giselle

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:47 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Two of the FIVE people I know who died of covid died in their homes. The 21 year old just didn't wake up one morning.

Posting with my name, which you and your cookoo conspiracy theories are too chicken to do.

Never argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:57 pm
giselle wrote:
Never argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Is this some sort of an insult to me?

giselle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:57 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Is this some sort of an insult to me?

God forbid! It was advice to you.

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:12 am
Laiya wrote:
Ok, I was responding to the assertion about fatality of covid vs flu, not specifically masks and sd.

As far as masks leading to lower viral load, keep in mind it's still just a hypothesis and, while quoted by many news articles, the source is this perspective article published in NEJM (which refers to it as a hypothesis)

Yes, and I'm sharing that perhaps the current fatality rate for covid is not as high as expected because we have taken measures to decrease viral load. This is important to keep in mind when discussing fatality rate because it's not necessarily a natural fatality rate.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:15 am
The flu doesn't cause heart disease, long term lung issues, decreased fertility in men, heart palpitations, longer term breathing issues, the list goes on and on.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics