Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Five towns, yeshivish area

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:58 pm
I would describe us oot yeshivish. Dh is a rebbe, kids watch too much frum videos and I do allow Disney occasionally. I am not wealthy or fancy. My kids clothing comes from children’s place old navy and kidichic. I grew up oot and I like a healthy mix of doctor lawyer rebbe kollel all living on the same block.

Dh currently commutes to the five towns and it makes sense to move there. We were looking at inwood for a while because I think that is the best fit for us but the house search is getting very discouraging.

Budget is tops 700k. House needs to be fully detached with a driveway and yard. Ideally 4 bedroom but I can settle for three if there is a basement. I really really want to be part of a community. Dh won’t hear of west heampstead or bayswater. I am priced out of any house that I would want in far Rockaway. Any other areas that I should look into? Is there a yeshivish crowd in north woodmere?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:04 pm
I think North Woodmere would be a great fit. It's a very big mix and has a good amount of oot yeshivish type. It's a nice community and all the houses are detached with yards and driveways.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:07 pm
Inwood sounds like a great fit for you. Maybe look on a block that’s not door by door frum and you’ll have better luck. North woodmere doesn’t have Rebbes but does have a nice Flatbush style crowd.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I think North Woodmere would be a great fit. It's a very big mix and has a good amount of oot yeshivish type. It's a nice community and all the houses are detached with yards and driveways.

I think u will have a very hard time finding a house in ur budget here..

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:39 pm
North woodmere actually does have some rabbeim that live here...Specifically district 14 area where the property taxes are higher thus houses priced lower and the rabbeim get property tax reductions. The “valleys” area of district 14 is considered more yeshivish...most of those families daven in khal lev Avos. It’s a beautiful suburban area and your budget seems workable

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:42 pm
To add, you would probably be able to afford a high ranch style home (3 bedrooms, kitchen living room dining upstairs, downstairs has playroom area and 1 bedroom) in your budget. Split levels are a bit more and colonials the most expensive.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:02 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
To add, you would probably be able to afford a high ranch style home (3 bedrooms, kitchen living room dining upstairs, downstairs has playroom area and 1 bedroom) in your budget. Split levels are a bit more and colonials the most expensive.

Under 700? Not so likely. I’m very involved in the market there. Just don’t want to give op false expectations.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:14 am
high ranch in district 14 can be under 700. I’m not saying they are rampant but I think it’s possibility.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
high ranch in district 14 can be under 700. I’m not saying they are rampant but I think it’s possibility.
Really gannet seen it anytime recently... but maybe she can get lucky

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:22 am
For example,
This house is centrally located, on hungry harbor which is the Main Street so priced lower

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:56 am
I think you would like Inwood
Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:10 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I think you would like Inwood
Good luck

Thanks. Inwood does seem like the best fit for us but the housing market is impossible. Houses are small and need work and not cheap. Even if a house in north woodmere May start off more expensive at the end of the day it’s probably cheaper. The only plus of inwood housing is you can do it slowly assuming the house is not a total gut job.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Inwood does seem like the best fit for us but the housing market is impossible. Houses are small and need work and not cheap. Even if a house in north woodmere May start off more expensive at the end of the day it’s probably cheaper. The only plus of inwood housing is you can do it slowly assuming the house is not a total gut job.

Yup. We really wanted inwood but ended up in north woodmere. For something a little more expensive, we got much much more for our money and we are very happy. That being said like I said before if u rest cannot g above 700 it will be tough. For example the hi ranch posted earlier has taxes of 25000. U would really need to look closely at parsonage reduction and see that it would actually apply, and that it would bring it down enough to fit ur budget.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:41 am
There’s a yeshivish area in Woodmere near aish torah. It actually sounds like you’d fit in there well. It’s less Flatbush style then north Woodmere much more OOT, simpler people, and lots of rebbeim live there. I know some people live on highland place. No idea how much the houses go for there but it’s an alternative to Inwood..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
There’s a yeshivish area in Woodmere near aish torah. It actually sounds like you’d fit in there well. It’s less Flatbush style then north Woodmere much more OOT, simpler people, and lots of rebbeim live there. I know some people live on highland place. No idea how much the houses go for there but it’s an alternative to Inwood..

Ty! Do you know which blocks of woodmere this area is?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty! Do you know which blocks of woodmere this area is?

I don’t know exactly, but I know of 2 families on highland place.. and I’ve seen lots of yeshivish kids on daub avenue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I don’t know exactly, but I know of 2 families on highland place.. and I’ve seen lots of yeshivish kids on daub avenue.

Are their siach kids or darchei kids? I’ve heard that the yeshivish area of woodmere is a little chassidish leaning and mainly sent to siach. My husband is a real litvak!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating