Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was today years old when I learnt that
Previous  1  2  3  Next

bnm

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 11:21 pm
You can daven for anything. My grandmother used to daven for a whole list of people. Part of it was we should do well in school. Learn to read. Not get sick.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:11 am
Its seems like although the intention of OP [Hashem_n_Farfel] was opening an interesting discussion it turned into covid debate and discussion on tefilla.... Laugh

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:13 am
I was today years old when I learnt that...

When you sleep 2 hours on shabbos day, your not tired at midnight....
or I knew this throughout my life!

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:26 am
mocha wrote:

I learn it again each week.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:33 am
Just to clarify. I was not looking to derail the thread or to bash mask wearers. I was rushing to go out Motzei Shabbos and had heard about strep being prevalent now. I opened imamother unintentionally before leaving and noticed Hashem n farfel’s post. I remembered what she wrote last week and wanted to share with her what I heard. The judgement about me was hurtful and unnecessary but bad middos are hard to control obviously.

I didn’t have time to search for her other thread so I jumped in here and explained a bit that my post was addressed to her specifically.

Git voch everyone.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Just to clarify. I was not looking to derail the thread or to bash mask wearers. I was rushing to go out Motzei Shabbos and had heard about strep being prevalent now. I opened imamother unintentionally before leaving and noticed Hashem n farfel’s post. I remembered what she wrote last week and wanted to share with her what I heard. The judgement about me was hurtful and unnecessary but bad middos are hard to control obviously.

I didn’t have time to search for her other thread so I jumped in here and explained a bit that my post was addressed to her specifically.

Git voch everyone.

LOL and here you go derailing the thread again

Bubby6

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:40 am
bnm wrote:
I learn it again each week.

Me too! I am terrible at remembering this fact!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:03 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Just to clarify. I was not looking to derail the thread or to bash mask wearers..... The judgement about me was hurtful and unnecessary but bad middos are hard to control obviously.

If you made a mistake because you were in a rush – and posting what you did in her thread was a mistake – that is understandable. Just apologize and move on. But don't accuse me of "bad middos" for calling you out on your mistake. Bad middos is making a mistake, not apologizing and blaming the one who called you out. That's you, not me.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:09 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I apologize HaShem n Farfel for posting this in the wrong forum but I am addressing my post to you.

On Shabbos I heard that many people are contracting strep and the doctors are suspecting that it comes from the mask wearing. Since you posted last week how sick you were and were then diagnosed with strep, I thought I’d share this with you.

I hope you are feeling better!

Well that shouldn’t be a problem in bp, since we don’t wear masks.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:39 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Git voch everyone.

It’s alright! Maybe pm me next time or something:)

Don’t worry about it!

a gut voch!

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:39 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Well that shouldn’t be a problem in bp, since we don’t wear masks.

LOL some of us actually do
wear masks (me) haha

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:40 am
mocha wrote:

Big same every week the same thing and my sleep schedule is messed up once again

jerusalem90

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:51 am
I don't remember how old I was, but it was way older than necessary when I learned that you don't HAVE to have a glove shaped oven mitt to take hot things out of the oven -- you can get a towel and double or triple it over and it works the same 😂😂😂

Like, I think college aged.

jerusalem90

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:54 am
28 when I learned that green peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers and red peppers are the exact same breed of pepper, the only difference is how long they were left to grow on the vine -- a green pepper would have turned into a red pepper if you waited longer to pick it!

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:21 am
I was in my 20s when I learned that it's duct tape (for sealing air conditioning ducts, I presume), and not duck tape (because it's waterproof... I figured water rolls off of it like a duck's behind).

And then a few days ago I learned that it actually was originally called duck tape, and duct tape is a later alteration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

Quote:
During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used to seal some ammunition cases during that period.[1]

"Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described conservatively as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]

Mind blown.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:53 am
I was 12 years old when I discovered that the tenant that lived downstairs really didn’t make holes in bagels and curve bananas for a living. When he told my parents that this is what he did for a living I took it hook, line and sinker. Then as a 12 yr old I told my teacher about it in front of the entire class. The laughter is still ringing in my ears .

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:40 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
It’s alright! Maybe pm me next time or something:)

Don’t worry about it!

a gut voch!

The post wasn’t a mistake but a pm would definitely have been a better idea. Thanks HaShem n farfel for being such a mensch!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:22 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I was 12 years old when I discovered that the tenant that lived downstairs really didn’t make holes in bagels and curve bananas for a living. When he told my parents that this is what he did for a living I took it hook, line and sinker. Then as a 12 yr old I told my teacher about it in front of the entire class. The laughter is still ringing in my ears .

My daughter told her teacher that people must have figured out how to shecht giraffe properly, because that's what the biltong we eat is made out of. Curtesy of my husband.

smile12345

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:31 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
28 when I learned that green peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers and red peppers are the exact same breed of pepper, the only difference is how long they were left to grow on the vine -- a green pepper would have turned into a red pepper if you waited longer to pick it!

I just learned that now!

number

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:47 am
DrMom wrote:
I was in my 20s when I learned that it's duct tape (for sealing air conditioning ducts, I presume), and not duck tape (because it's waterproof... I figured water rolls off of it like a duck's behind).

And then a few days ago I learned that it actually was originally called duck tape, and duct tape is a later alteration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

Quote:
During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used to seal some ammunition cases during that period.[1]

"Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described conservatively as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]

Mind blown.

Duck tape is the brand name. Off brand ones are called duct tape. I guess because duck and duct sound similar and the tape is used to repair ducts? I never really understood that one.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics