Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids wake up at 5:00 AM and I’m slowly losing it. Help!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:43 am
Recently my 2 girls (7 and 3) wake up around 5:00 AM for the day. I’ve tried everything! Blackout shades won’t help as it’s still dark outside, melatonin didn’t help, putting them to sleep later doesn’t help, they’ll still wake up the same time. It’s a recent thing and I don’t know why. It kills their entire day (and mine too). They are exhausted and don’t do well with little sleep. (Their normal bedtime is around 7:15 though sometimes it ends up being later.) someone please advise! Thanks!

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:45 am
After lunch, introduce a quiet time. Everyone quiet on their beds for one hour. If the kids fall asleep, you get more time. If not, you still at least got some rest

nchr

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:55 am
They are old enough to teach that even they are up - they cannot come out of their rooms or make noise and wake others up. You can try that red, yellow green light lamp that helps teach kids when they can come out of bed.

yersp

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:59 am
Is it possible to have them sleep in separate rooms for a while or maybe put the 3 year old to bed first and then the 7 year old?
It's very likely they're waking each other up.
I had noticed a funny thing with my kids: the earlier they went to sleep the later they woke up and the later they went to sleep the earlier they woke up.
In regards to the three year old: start a quiet bedtime routine at around 6/6:15. Either bathtime or reading a book quietly. The goal is to get her to fall asleep by 6:45/7. Your seven year old should start to do the same at 7oclock with the goal of being in bed by 7:30. Also reminding both of them that there is absolutely no waking each other up at 5am. They should try to go back to sleep. Your 7 year old should ignore the 3 year old and tell her to be quiet. Maybe also have some books or quiet toys for the 3 year old to play with if she wakes up early.
Good luck OP!

Last edited by yersp on Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

yersp

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:01 am
nchr wrote:
They are old enough to teach that even they are up - they cannot come out of their rooms or make noise and wake others up. You can try that red, yellow green light lamp that helps teach kids when they can come out of bed.

I used to do something similar when my kids were younger. They slept off the kitchen so they knew when the light went on, they could come out of their room. Otherwise, they had to play quietly until the timer turned on the light.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:24 am
If they are not allowed to come out of their room until 7:00 it will slowly stop being so exciting to wake up early.
Probably one kid is waking up the other. It’s not that they are both suddenly waking up together at 5.
Also, I think you should probably put the 7 year old to bed at 7:30-45. She probably is waking up the younger kid because she really needs less sleep.
I put my 8 year old to bed close to 9! He was waking up so early ( in my house early is before 7). Now he’s waking up around 7:30.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:27 am
LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children's Sleep Trainer, Alarm Clock, Night Light and Sleep Sounds Machine (Tropical Teal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....YJY9Q

Sara B.

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:51 am
My kids are always up before 6. Too bad that’s my new life, I’ve tried everything and nothing changed it, so! I go to sleep earlier myself because that’s the only way

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children's Sleep Trainer, Alarm Clock, Night Light and Sleep Sounds Machine (Tropical Teal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....YJY9Q

Thanks everyone! We have this, they don’t listen to it...

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:58 am
Turn on a fan for white noise. Helps my kids a lot.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Turn on a fan for white noise. Helps my kids a lot.

They have a white noise machine that they sleep with.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:01 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
If they are not allowed to come out of their room until 7:00 it will slowly stop being so exciting to wake up early.
Probably one kid is waking up the other. It’s not that they are both suddenly waking up together at 5.
Also, I think you should probably put the 7 year old to bed at 7:30-45. She probably is waking up the younger kid because she really needs less sleep.
I put my 8 year old to bed close to 9! He was waking up so early ( in my house early is before 7). Now he’s waking up around 7:30.

Yup later bedtime for the 7 year old.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:04 am
Moving a schedule up takes a long long long time. For us it took over a year to make nights go from 9pm-7Am instead of 7-5Am.
Do it slowly and expect them to keep waking up early until their internal clock changes,
Also separate them if possible.
Good luck!

yersp

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:30 am
Take into account that with time change happening next week, it'll be harder. I remember once reading about it.
If your kids' bedtime is usually 7 o'clock, this week is the week to move it up till 8oclock in 15 min increments so by the time the change happens and 8 becomes 7, there shouldn't be any issues with going to sleep on time.
I will be doing this with my 4 year old.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:33 am
I had an incentive program when my kid did that (he did it between the ages of 3 and 5, once his school day got longer he was tired). I had a bag full of prizes from the dollar store, really good ones, and on a day he did not come into my room before 7 a.m. he could choose a prize from the bag. It worked for about 2 weeks until the novelty ran out. But by then he had gotten used to it and adjusted to staying in his room til 7 am.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:54 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I had an incentive program when my kid did that (he did it between the ages of 3 and 5, once his school day got longer he was tired). I had a bag full of prizes from the dollar store, really good ones, and on a day he did not come into my room before 7 a.m. he could choose a prize from the bag. It worked for about 2 weeks until the novelty ran out. But by then he had gotten used to it and adjusted to staying in his room til 7 am.

How did he know when it was 7am? did you use an okay to wake clock?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:59 am
My kids so the same I've tried everything nothing really works. The only thing that helps for a bit of I can do it is to wake them at 3am briefly, then they fall immediately back to sleep and then they'll sleep longer.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:59 pm
My friend runs her home neat, orderly. she tells her kids: when you get up you haev tos tay quitely in your room till Mommy comes in to say good morning.

Unless its an emergency - you stay quitely in bed. you can read a book,

it works!

explain what creates an emergency.

otherwise "Mommy needs her rest".

teach them to respect it.

when they were older she would say "shabbos morning you go down quietly to play in the play room. I dont want to hear any noise. Mommy needs her rest.

bh it worked.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
How did he know when it was 7am? did you use an okay to wake clock?
he had a regular digital clock in his room and I told him he cant come out before 7:00. he could read numbers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics