Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Belly dancing classes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:47 pm
I've always dreamed of learning how to belly dance! Any one know of any group classes in or around Lakewood? Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:49 pm
Anyone? I heard it was great for pregnancy, especially for back pain, so I thought it would be the perfect excuse Very Happy

malki2

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:57 pm
Yes. In fact they have belly dancing classes right in the Rosh Yeshiva’s living room. Every Wednesday night. Given by his Rebbitzin.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:01 pm
Haven't heard of any, but since it doesn't require props or anything, you could probably learn from videos.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:16 pm
If you're looking for pregnancy specifically, take a Dancing through Birth class. Bruchy Mayer in Monsey does it. I am sure there are practitioners in Lakewood who do as well. You can google her number.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:46 pm
malki2 wrote:
Yes. In fact they have belly dancing classes right in the Rosh Yeshiva’s living room. Every Wednesday night. Given by his Rebbitzin.

Actually, there's a very chashuva posek in my town, who's very frum rebbitzin is in my zumba class. Nothing wrong with doing womanly things in a womens only group.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Haven't heard of any, but since it doesn't require props or anything, you could probably learn from videos.

I'm a slow learner, and need hands on. Plus a group is so much more fun!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually, there's a very chashuva posek in my town, who's very frum rebbitzin is in my zumba class. Nothing wrong with doing womanly things in a womens only group.

Big dif between zumba and belly dancing or pole dancing

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:26 pm
Belly dancing is so good for core workout. Also I have a few friends that became pregnant after taking belly dancing. After some IF issues.

I don't know what it does. Buy it engages a part of your body in a way no other workout ever did.

Also I'm sephardi so it doesn't feel like pole dancing to me. It feels like just dancing.

malki2

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The laws of tzniyus apply when a woman is among other women or even by herself in a room, for that matter. There are behaviors that are not befitting of a tzniyusdike woman, even if she in a women only group. Your “very Frum rebbitzin” notwithstanding.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:28 pm
malki2 wrote:
The laws of tzniyus apply when a woman is among other women or even by herself in a room, for that matter. There are behaviors that are not befitting of a tzniyusdike woman, even if she in a women only group. Your “very Frum rebbitzin” notwithstanding.

I'm sure different people hold differently. Op didn't come here for a mussar shmooze.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Big dif between zumba and belly dancing or pole dancing

I respectfully disagree. Belly dancing is extremely feminine and beautiful. Belly dancing was used for years to prepare your body for childbirth. My sephardi sheitel macher belly dances at weddings for the kallah:) Pole dancing on the other hand, is vulgar, uses a lot of dirty body language and usually comes along with a strip tease, or more...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:35 pm
It’s rather provocative so I doubt something like this is being offered to frum women in the Lakewood community.
If sefardic women are okay with this then maybe ask one of them to show you.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Belly dancing is extremely feminine and beautiful. Belly dancing was used for years to prepare your body for childbirth. My sephardi sheitel macher belly dances at weddings for the kallah:) Pole dancing on the other hand, is vulgar, uses a lot of dirty body language and usually comes along with a strip tease, or more...

Actually, pole dancing that is for women and not for men is not the same as the type you're referring to, and there is no alternative that combines cardio with strengthening as many muscle groups, which makes it a uniquely effective form of exercise.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:38 pm
I found an option on Google not far from Lakewood. Google belly dancing near me.

Ignore everyone.. some posters can’t give straight answers or simply pass on by when they have nothing to add.

malki2

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Google “Belly Dancing” and let me know how the women are dressed. Not much different than pole dancers. And it originated in the Arab countries where immorality was rampant. And they usually danced in front of men to allure them. So I really have no idea why anyone thinks that this is more than slightly different than pole dancing.

malki2

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
It’s rather provocative so I doubt something like this is being offered to frum women in the Lakewood community.
If sefardic women are okay with this then maybe ask one of them to show you.

Sefardic women who were raised with sensitivities of tznius are most certainly not ok with it.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:48 pm
malki2 wrote:
Google “Belly Dancing” and let me know how the women are dressed. Not much different than pole dancers. And it originated in the Arab countries where immorality was rampant. And they usually danced in front of men to allure them. So I really have no idea why anyone thinks that this is more than slightly different than pole dancing.

Yes was quite surprised too.
Belly dancing in Lakewood, idk..
But different people different cultures and different values.
Maybe that wedding belly dancer is a very tzniusdik woman who should teach it to op.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:53 pm
malki2 wrote:

These "not tzniusdik" ways of looking happen to be the simplest way to strengthen core muscles, improve posture, and thus improve overall health.

malki2

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
These "not tzniusdik" ways of looking happen to be the simplest way to strengthen core muscles, improve posture, and thus improve overall health.

So that makes it kosher? Because it strengthens the core? Wow. I guess that makes it ok then.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries