Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Did you name your child after your parent?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:48 am
How long after your parent was niftar did you give the name? Do you call your child the name your parent was called? How long did it take you to call him/her by the name?
My baby is almost 1 and I'm still having a hard time Can't Believe It

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:58 am
I named my son after my father two years after he died. I never had an issue calling him by my father's name...I guess because I called my father Abba, not his given name. Still, it gave me a little pang until my son got old enough to really develop his own personality and I fully associated his name with him, and not my father.

Hugs

Hang in there! Sometimes I see my father's spirit shining out of my son's eyes, and I know he is proud of both of us.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:10 am
Wouldn't consider it. I actually like my mother's name, but she was a terrible mother.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:39 am
I used a nickname for my baby. It was too hard for me to say the same name. Now, a couple of years later, I am starting to feel like I want to use the real name.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:42 am
Yes, I named my son after my father. My father was niftar when I was a child, I was so happy and proud to be able to call my son his name.

It probably helps that there were a lot of people named after him before my son, I have cousins and nephews with that name. Also, it was about 15 years later so the pain wasn't raw. And I call my son by a different nickname, just because there were so many boys around with the same nickname so I wanted something different.

What bothers me is when I'm upset at him and use his full name, and then I get upset at myself that this is the only time I'm using my father's full name.

The rest of the time I'm so proud, and I'm proud to introduce him to people who knew my father as " this is my son who's named after my father". He has some of the traits that my father was known for, which is a beautiful nechama for me.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:48 am
My father was nifter while I was expecting my fourth child. It was a boy, born seven weeks after he was nifter, and we used the name. It gave me great comfort then, 32 years ago, as it does today.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names