Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Signing consent forms for random Covid testing in schools
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:12 pm
nchr wrote:
Forget the forms? Why would your kids be anxious? You need to deal with that first. No reason to be anxious about a random test....

Seriously?

Moonlight

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:56 pm
How is this in line w telling kids not to let adults touch them on ways they dont like to be touched?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:25 pm
Moonlight wrote:
How is this in line w telling kids not to let adults touch them on ways they dont like to be touched?

Same as unpleasant procedures in a doctors office. Strep culture, blood test, any kind of injection. Getting stitches. Etc.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Same as unpleasant procedures in a doctors office. Strep culture, blood test, any kind of injection. Getting stitches. Etc.

A parent is usually there to make sure that whatever the Dr is doing is legal/safe.
In a school where parents cannot be there when they are tested that is not the case.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:00 pm
I am sure a parent can request to be there. Legally you cannot refuse such a request.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:05 pm

That's for the patient's benefit. This isn't.

Dangerous precedent imo.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:10 pm
My son just started preschool. He has a fear of Dr cause he's always getting sick and getting poked in some way or getting a vaccine. He has anxiety and we try to calm him before and after.

He is loving preschool. If he will get a nasal swab in school, he will panic and will never want to go back to school. Is that a way to start off a child in school?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:11 pm
would not sign such a form
if they need testing I will take them to a place of my choosing and supervise /reassure them

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:13 pm
It's fascinating to see how easy it is to get people on a mass level to do all kinds of things whether justified or not.
I am definitely not a conspiracy theory believer and a strong pro vaxxer, but I'm starting to understand how people become cynical to such an extent.

How exactly will this testing help? Unless you test every kid every day you will not get an accurate picture of how common covid is in a specific school.
This whole thing just makes no sense.

I'm sure the testing companies though are REALLY happy about this new rule. Do you know they billed insurance $600 for a test?!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:13 pm
Laiya wrote:
That's for the patient's benefit. This isn't.

It is, if you want schools to be able to remain open.
And, a 5 year old doesn't care that a blood test or throat culture is for his benefit, he just knows it is uncomfortable. It's all about how it is presented to him. The parent & doctor set the stage, and calm him down and reassure him as needed. Same for a covid test.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:14 pm
B"H, our DD's school (HS in Lakewood)- after consulting with doctors and rabbonim- sent home the forms but made it clear that we are not required to sign. I read parts of them, extremely broad, general consent for medical tests/procedures. I would NEVER sign such a consent for my child.

Even if they sent home a more specific consent (which I heard some of the schools did, after parents complained-they claimed it was an error that the original one was sent), at this point I wouldn't sign because I don't believe the testing is necessary or beneficial.

The people who devised this system are not medical experts, nor were they elected or chosen by anyone who represents the people. Some of those involved have financial connections to the testing agencies-which make a fortune off each test- and there are others who are looking to boost their own political power.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:16 pm
NYC is a different story than Lakewood.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
My son just started preschool. He has a fear of Dr cause he's always getting sick and getting poked in some way or getting a vaccine. He has anxiety and we try to calm him before and after.

He is loving preschool. If he will get a nasal swab in school, he will panic and will never want to go back to school. Is that a way to start off a child in school?

My kids are older than preschool and would be very unhappy, to put it mildly, to go through this at school.
Heck, the test was really painful for ME, a grown adult with a high pain tolerance level. And I only took it because I had to do a medical procedure.

This is sick.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:19 pm
asmileaday wrote:
My kids are older than preschool and would be very unhappy, to put it mildly, to go through this at school.
Heck, the test was really painful for ME, a grown adult with a high pain tolerance level. And I only took it because I had to do a medical procedure.

This is sick.
The one in Lakewood is a saliva test, not a nasal swab. As was discussed so many times already.
Round and round we go.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:19 pm

It's not the same. I don't send my small kids to the doctor alone I'm always there. And to blur lines and have a random person who isn't really a doctor is testing in schools makes it really hard to teach kids who is safe and who isn't.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:28 pm
It is, if you want schools to be able to remain open.
And, a 5 year old doesn't care that a blood test or throat culture is for his benefit, he just knows it is uncomfortable. It's all about how it is presented to him. The parent & doctor set the stage, and calm him down and reassure him as needed. Same for a covid test.

Ok, I'll rephrase. Patients are given tests for purpose of determining the course of their own medical treatment. That's it.

There's no medical justification for giving a healthy student a covid test because he might have covid and theoretically infect someone else who might, theoretically, become seriously ill.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
The one in Lakewood is a saliva test, not a nasal swab. As was discussed so many times already.
Round and round we go.

Actually, some schools are doing saliva but some are doing nasal. I was told that if the school is using Chemed, they are likely doing nasal swabs as Chemed isn't using the saliva tests. (At least that is what a letter I saw from another school said, it was explaining why they were not using Chemed).

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:08 pm
I'm a teacher, my school is mandating the testing because that's the only way we can come back to school. I've gotten the tests and they're less painful than flu tests so I'm not sure what the mass panic is about the kids being traumatized. My students asked me what the test will be and I told them and they were cool with it (elementary age). I don't like that we're in this position, I think it's government overreach but the kids needs to be in school so if a qtip in your nose is the way to get that, we need to do it.
The teachers will be with the students and will be getting tested as well so it's not a student alone with a strange doctor, it's a class wide situation.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:13 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Actually, some schools are doing saliva but some are doing nasal. I was told that if the school is using Chemed, they are likely doing nasal swabs as Chemed isn't using the saliva tests. (At least that is what a letter I saw from another school said, it was explaining why they were not using Chemed).

My son's school is using chemed. I signed for consent to test him and his school, me and my husband can get results. And that a staff from his school can accompany him to the test.

My daughter's school isn't using chemed, and their paper that they wanted me to sign is to allow them to test and to treat and other things. Idc if it's only saliva test, but I much faster signed the chemed one. I will not sign a form for the testing place to be able to treat my child

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
It's not the same. I don't send my small kids to the doctor alone I'm always there. And to blur lines and have a random person who isn't really a doctor is testing in schools makes it really hard to teach kids who is safe and who isn't.

No, not if you prepare your child ahead of time. Especially since it sounds like parents will be notified ahead of the testing and given plenty of time to prep their kids or even plan to come in to school that day if they deem it necessary to be there during the test.

These arguments sound like those people who compare masks in schools to child abuse which is ridiculously over the top and borderline offensive to survivors of child abuse and molestation. Certainly grasping at straws to come up with an argument against it.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics