Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Has parenting in the 21st century gone off the rails?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:15 pm
gamanit wrote:
Nopes. No one comes in unless someone goes down to unlock the door for them. As I said I only did this once but just because I don't want to inconvenience my neighbor. I do believe that it's perfectly safe.

Ok. You know your house better than me. Sounds safe.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:19 pm
gamanit wrote:
Nopes. No one comes in unless someone goes down to unlock the door for them. As I said I only did this once but just because I don't want to inconvenience my neighbor. I do believe that it's perfectly safe.

I had the same set up and I did it all the time. Like you said, you'd have to literally close your ears not to hear conversations from the other apartment. It was perfectly safe.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:20 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I never leave my children alone. I am neurotic about safety and my kids are in boosters and car seats longer than any of their friends. I have double the recommended amount of smoke and CO2 detectors. I cut my kids food into small pieces way longer than necessary. I am a super careful parent.

However, I recognize that not everyone is like me and people have different attitudes toward parenting. Although I would never do it, I don't think its the end of the world if someone shares an apartment building floor with a neighbor and they are the only tenants and share a wall and the neighbor hangs on to the monitor for 15 minutes while the mother runs out.

She has access to the child. She is one wall over. She can hear the child. It is 15 minutes. The kid is contained in a crib. It is really low risk. For those screaming about kidnapping, the risk of that is negligible. No one knows the kid is there and 99.9% of people don't want anyone else's whiny brat. No one is coming to snatch the kid. Be realistic.

I think the reactions were over the top. Do you realize that CPS has real cases to deal with? Like drug addicted moms who leave their kids alone in bad neighborhoods? Like fathers who beat their families senseless. Step fathers who molest their daughters. Kids in homes with no heat or food. Teenagers being trafficked by their mothers boyfriend. CPS doesn't need your righteous indignation for a non case.

Please tone it down and stop with the overreactions. Not every husband is abusive, not every mother in law has boundary issues, and not every mom who does the above deserves to have CPS called on her. Calm down y'all.

Let the tomatoes fly Punch

I still disagree with babysitting by monitor, but Your scenario is very rare, where everything aligns, only one neighbor with access, sharing wall, 15 minutes.

Usually it’s a building with many other tenants with open access, or a neighbor in the next building, or worse yet, the mom herself via phone., it’s a neighbor down the hallway not next door, or 1 flight up etc, and longer than 15 min Usually.

I would not call cops, but make them very aware of my disapproval.

I did babysit for my tenant short term when we had an inner shared door which I could leave open directly into my house...kind of to creat one big house. No monitor needed.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Disclaimer. I have never done this not do I plan to.

Do you realize that some of you live in houses where the kitchen is further from your kids rooms than my neighbors kitchen is to my kids room?

If your kid comes out of bed they would walk to your kitchen to find you, but not to the closer neighbor....and would feel very traumatized realizing he is alone...

I passed a house once at 12:00 at night and a toddler was bawling and yelling for his totty through the mail slot.....assuming that his mom was around ur he was tantruming I waited 10 minutes but saw no adult.... I tried talking to the kid who freaked out...a few minutes later the parents rolled in with their car.....let me tell you that toddler was terribly traumatized.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:31 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
If your kid comes out of bed they would walk to your kitchen to find you, but not to the closer neighbor....and would feel very traumatized realizing he is alone...

I passed a house once at 12:00 at night and a toddler was bawling and yelling for his totty through the mail slot.....assuming that his mom was around ur he was tantruming I waited 10 minutes but saw no adult.... I tried talking to the kid who freaked out...a few minutes later the parents rolled in with their car.....let me tell you that toddler was terribly traumatized.

Surprised
Crying
That's so sad

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:57 pm
ok so I basically got my answer.

Yes parenting in the 21st century has gone off the rails.

How many houses are going up in fire exactly when you leave, how many kidnappers and murderers do you think are roaming your streets? How many home invasions are happening?

This is ridiculous.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics