Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Colleges with a large frum presence
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:06 pm
What are options for a Frum boy that wants to go to a big college besides YU? Would consider co-Ed not because I want to but because this DS may need more options then YU.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:07 pm
Rutgers?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:10 pm
Touro

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:17 pm
Touro, Lander's in Queens, Brooklyn College, SUNY Binghamton, U Maryland College Park

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:19 pm
Do you need him to dorm there?

What kind of religious upbringing is he coming from? That might help to evaluate what type of frum life and guidance is available on campus, if he lives there.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:20 pm
Columbia, Cornell, Brandeis, UPenn, NYU, Harvard, Binghamton, Rutgers, Queens, Brooklyn.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:53 pm
SUNY Binghamton? I didn't know that.

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:56 pm
Columbia, UPenn

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:59 pm
Ya what we are I don’t think really matters. If it was solely up to us he would go to college until he was married. Trying to find what works for this child. Thanks for all the suggestions. Preferably there should be lots of frum kids, a Chabad on campus, and intramural sports.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:00 pm
Maybe a program in E"Y...?

Ask chabad shluchim what they'd recommend they will know best about this and the chabad presence on campus.

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Columbia, Cornell, Brandeis, UPenn, NYU, Harvard, Binghamton, Rutgers, Queens, Brooklyn.

You have to really know your kid and how they would handle many of these schools. The dynamics of the frum communities are different in each one. It makes a big difference if college will be the only source of his Jewish life. You also need to know how he would handle BDS movements and the like.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:04 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Rutgers?

No. Not unless he commutes and doesn't live on campus. It's got a lot of Jews, but it's not very Jewish.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ya what we are I don’t think really matters. If it was solely up to us he would go to college until he was married. Trying to find what works for this child. Thanks for all the suggestions. Preferably there should be lots of frum kids, a Chabad on campus, and intramural sports.

Even if there are lots of frum kids on campus there may not be any in his classes or program he is in. The typical campus is huge with many thousands of students. Lots of frum kids still=a very, very small percentage.

Especially if he gets involved with sports, I can't imagine there would be many frum kids participating. Unless it is a Jewish college such as YU, tbh.

As others have said, a lot also demands if he will be dorming or commuting from home.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:17 pm
Ariel University is very nice.

And Machon Lev is full-on haredi/hardal, if he has a technology bent.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:20 pm
Is OP looking for American or Israeli options?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:21 pm
US please

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:24 pm
Rappel wrote:
No. Not unless he commutes and doesn't live on campus. It's got a lot of Jews, but it's not very Jewish.

Lots of religious Jews dorm there.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:26 pm
Ok, well, to be honest, with what you are looking for Jewish/frum wise, I think the closest thing actually is YU. (Most of the campuses mentioned have a bigger Hillel than Chabad presence, btw. Still Orthodox but may not be what you are picturing.)

Is there a reason you are set against it?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:26 pm
Cultural issues aside, most college sports are played on Saturday.
Maryland has a significant number of frum kids, though it has a reputation as a party school.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:28 pm
Contact Chabad for info about the presence of frumkeit and frum Jews on campus. Sometimes if someone is in a very specific track they can manage if they are determined to do so with a small group. But really takes a lot of effort. I'd ask Chabad what they recommend in terms of vibrant frum communities and then try to match to your child.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics