Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Schools - Chassidish
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:53 pm
Hi,
I've read through all of the old threads about Lakewood schools and compiled a list of those that are supposedly chassidish. However, I don't know anyone from Lakewood irl who can give me info to help me decide which places are right for my kids.
We're mainstream chassidish, don't belong anywhere in particular. Shtreimel, mid-length sheitel, boys wear peyos down, girls in tights by age 5-6 (unless school requires it earlier, of course). We do have smartphones, kids occasionally watch YouTube videos, etc.
Note that I do not want to send to a school where everyone belongs to a specific chassidus and my kid will be different but rather somewhere that has a mixed crowd.

Please tell me what you can about the following places and if there are any that I missed that might be applicable, please let me know.

Girls-
Bnos Binah
Tiferes Chaya
Bnos Bracha? (Not sure if this is correct)
Bais Hachinuch

Boys-
Demesek Eliezer
Toras Emes
Bais Avrohom
Stolin
Darchei Avoseinu
Old Satmar
Yesodei Hatorah
Klausenburg

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:59 pm
I dont have school age children yet but this is what I gathered

Bnos Bina doesnt let the mothers have smartphones but fathers can for work

Klausenberg and skvere are two of the very very chassidish schools in lakewood doesnt sound like for you
Demesek eliezer and toras emes is more heimish than chassidish - like bend down short jacket but wears a gartel

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:56 pm
Bnos brocha is not chasidish

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:58 pm
I’m this type.
My boys go to masoras uvos and want to put my daughter into Blum’s school that used to have mrs leizer. Forgot the name!
But really you need to apply to a few and see where you get accepted.

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:01 pm
For girls , maybe Bnos Bracha. The other schools wouldn’t be fine with YouTube videos etc..

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:36 pm
From your description I suggest for boys:
Bais avrohom
Masores Avos
Darchei avoiseini
Old Satmer
Stolin
Toras emes
Damesek eliezer

The last two are the least Chassidish with toras emes leaning more heimish/balabatish and damesek more yeshivish/plain. There are streimels there though. Damesek teaches in a litvishe haavarah.
Bais avrohom and masores Avos are officially the most Chassidish of the bunch. But, like all the schools, there's a large range. Darchei avoiseini is a little more heimish vs Chassidish leaning. Stolin is stolin. Satmar (old) is not like any other satmar in the world. The best description is old time Lakewood Chassidish. A little yeshivish leaning. Mix of long and behind the ears payos. Mix of streimels and non streimels. Mostly full beards. All moms drive. No covered shaitels.

For girls

Bnos Bina is probably too Chassidish
Bais rochel (Chassidish haavarah)
Tiferes Chaya
Bnos Hadassah
Bais hachinuch -don't know too much about
Bnos penina is probably too left wing

No school is officially ok with you tube, but people do.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
From your description I suggest for boys:
Bais avrohom
Masores Avos
Darchei avoiseini
Old Satmer
Stolin
Toras emes
Damesek eliezer

The last two are the least Chassidish with toras emes leaning more heimish/balabatish and damesek more yeshivish/plain. There are streimels there though. Damesek teaches in a litvishe haavarah.
Bais avrohom and masores Avos are officially the most Chassidish of the bunch. But, like all the schools, there's a large range. Darchei avoiseini is a little more heimish vs Chassidish leaning. Stolin is stolin. Satmar (old) is not like any other satmar in the world. The best description is old time Lakewood Chassidish. A little yeshivish leaning. Mix of long and behind the ears payos. Mix of streimels and non streimels. Mostly full beards. All moms drive. No covered shaitels.

For girls

Bnos Bina is probably too Chassidish
Bais rochel (Chassidish haavarah)
Tiferes Chaya
Bnos Hadassah
Bais hachinuch -don't know too much about
Bnos penina is probably too left wing

No school is officially ok with you tube, but people do.

Bais Rochel doe snot have a chassidish havara. My dds are there.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Bais Rochel doe snot have a chassidish havara. My dds are there.

Thanks for correcting me. I had thought they recently switched on the last few years.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:04 pm
I send to Bnos Penina, and my family sounds similar, well other then my boys have payos behind the ear.

I think Half the school is heimish/ chassidish.
Originally from BP, and the other half is yeshivish.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:46 pm
Tiferes yechiel for boys is a new cheder that opened last year with all ages. All fathers wear shtraimels yet the boys peyos some up most down.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:12 am
How old are your girls/boys? Some schools are harder to get into also bec of space.
What I hear from heimishe families who move to Lakewood is that they apply everywhere and go wherever they get in.
Much hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:36 am
Thank you all for responding. Any of these chedarim have a decent English curriculum?
Also, can anyone tell me more about tiferes chaya and bnos Hadassah?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:52 am
Another school for boys is yesodei hatorah. They have up to 5th grade as of now I think. All boys have peyos in front.

Tiferes Chaya is more chassidish then bnos hadassah, bnos hadassah is more heimish, a lot of parents don't wear shtreimel there.

Tiferes Chaya is also very strict about the smartphones.

Bais Hachinuch is a newer heimish school, up to 3rd or 4th grade, like a vein style school

sweet

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:01 am
Oldest grade by Rutter is kitta Daled.
Which is 3rd grade.

Eta that this is Yesodie hatorah.

Last edited by sweet on Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Another school for boys is yesodei hatorah. They have up to 5th grade as of now I think. All boys have peyos in front.

Tiferes Chaya is more chassidish then bnos hadassah, bnos hadassah is more heimish, a lot of parents don't wear shtreimel there.

Tiferes Chaya is also very strict about the smartphones.

Bais Hachinuch is a newer heimish school, up to 3rd or 4th grade, like a vein style school

I've heard a few people mention yesodei hatorah. What is the curriculum like? Is it a good cheder?
What are class sizes like? Warm, attentive staff?

Regarding smartphones, they do have filters if that makes a difference.

And my kids are still young so schools that don't have upper elementary grades yet are not an issue.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've heard a few people mention yesodei hatorah. What is the curriculum like? Is it a good cheder?
What are class sizes like? Warm, attentive staff?

Regarding smartphones, they do have filters if that makes a difference.

And my kids are still young so schools that don't have upper elementary grades yet are not an issue.

I don't know specifics but the ppl I know send are very happy. (yesodei hatorah).

Some schools are okay with a filter, Tiferes Chaya does not let even that for the mothers. They do let you have a filtered tablet at home but you have to have a kosher phone.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:23 am

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 6:20 pm
Where do you send them now and how old are they? Some of the newer schools might not have all the ages you need. You might have to split them among 3 or 4 schools. Hatzlocha.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 6:28 pm
Bais Hachinuch and Yesodei Hatorah are going to be your best bets as far as nice, neutral, warm place and good chance you’ll get accepted without having to turn over the whole world. Full of bp transplants. They are not the most “exclusive” but are both getting a little more selective with who they accept.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Bais Hachinuch and Yesodei Hatorah are going to be your best bets as far as nice, neutral, warm place and good chance you’ll get accepted without having to turn over the whole world. Full of bp transplants. They are not the most “exclusive” but are both getting a little more selective with who they accept.

Why would I choose Yesodei Hatorah over say Masores Avos, which someone else mentioned? Or Tiferes Yechiel? I don't know anything about any of those, just trying to figure out which is a better fit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries